Denver OTA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

code4code5

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
Aurora, CO
After writing KMGH Channel 7 in Denver for a waiver, I received this response:

Channel 7 does not grant waivers to viewers within its designated market area. We suggest you urge Direct TV to install the proper equipment to deliver HD to you - especially since you pay them for TV.
For your further information, we expect to have an HD antenna and transmitter on Republic Bank in time for the Super Bowl.
Thank you for writing.

So, In short, there is SOME hope for those of us that can't pick them up. BTW: I just love the way they dig D*, when it's KMGH's own ignorance that put their tower in a location where no one could get their signal in the first place. :D

Those moves to Republic Plaza always seem to take a lot longer than expected (KCNC waited for months and months on a flange) - so don't be too suprised if they don't make the Superbowl. But they still have 2 full months to make it.

Also this only gives them a 10kW ERP or so signal, but this will match KCNC, KUSA, et al.

denver ABC OTA

i email them (probably annoyingly) regularly to see if things changed.. the lookout mountain tower issue sucks..

this was a recent reply:
We, too, are disappointed in the recent ruling from Jefferson County Commissioners. For the time being our waiver policy remains the same; however, we are taking steps to see that an adequate HD signal will be available in time for the Super Bowl on ABC.

I am keeping waiver requests so that if the policy changes, I can let you know. In the meantime, thank you for your patience, and thank you for writing.

Mickey Petty
Assistant to the General Manager
KMGH-TV, Denver, Colorado
303-832-0221

and a 2nd note:

Sorry Ben - for now that is the policy. It is set by my direct
supervisor, the General Manager.
As I said, we will keep your email and notify you if there is a
change.

They also told me they will have something by the superbowl..
question: if they get republic bank setup, will that get picked up from my existing antenna? any chance directv will add a national ABC feed for just the super bowl? if i have to watch the super bowl in standard, i'm going to go nuts..

KMGH sucks, we all know this. I moved to NYC so I could get ABC here in Loveland. Now I have Comcrap coming out on the 10th to install an HD-DVR now that it is available in Loveland. It is for me to demo and then I'll return it after 1 month of service. My advice, get Comcast if you want the SB in HD, it is worth it. However, if ABC continues to have rampant HD problems the SB will be out of sync for audio and the picture will break up every 5 minutes anyway.

I do receive KUSA in Loveland (also atop Republic Plaza) so IF they do, yes you should get it.

interesting, thanks. my problem is that i love the NFL package, which comcrap doesnt offer.. so i'll stick with D* for now.. and just pray ABC gets their act together.

any idea why they wont provid waivers?! DTV gives me FOX and CBS, b/c the local affiliates do allow waivers.. what's the deal?

thanks!

Republic Plaza is a 50 story building located at 17th and Broadway. Their current toy transmitter is located at their building at 6th and Speer 5 or 6 stories up!!

slacker9876 said:
KCNC sucks, we all know this. I moved to NYC so I could get ABC here in Loveland. Now I have Comcrap coming out on the 10th to install an HD-DVR now that it is available in Loveland. It is for me to demo and then I'll return it after 1 month of service. My advice, get Comcast if you want the SB in HD, it is worth it. However, if ABC continues to have rampant HD problems the SB will be out of sync for audio and the picture will break up every 5 minutes anyway.

I do receive KUSA in Loveland (also atop Republic Plaza) so IF they do, yes you should get it.

I think you mean KMGH (ch. 7) sucks. KCNC is channel 4 and they actually do a good job.

Iwanthd said:
I think you mean KMGH (ch. 7) sucks. KCNC is channel 4 and they actually do a good job.
Yeah I did lol, I'll need to fix that now! I watch WABC-DT ... so I forgot the callsign!

benbabooey said:
interesting, thanks. my problem is that i love the NFL package, which comcrap doesnt offer.. so i'll stick with D* for now.. and just pray ABC gets their act together.

any idea why they wont provid waivers?! DTV gives me FOX and CBS, b/c the local affiliates do allow waivers.. what's the deal?

thanks!
The big deal is either that Rick Cradock is an idiot, or his superiors are, possibly both. They are under the impression that if they say "no" that we will be OK with it. Me ... I say screw the advertisers ... I don't watch commercials anyway EXCEPT during live sporting events. I have the the corrupt view that since I pay for my TV, I am entitled to commercial free viewing. Again, this is why I "moved" to NYC. If KMGH advertisers are "entitled" to money (this is the principle) then they should hit up DirecTV for the 5.99/mo I PAY to not view Denver commericals.

HDTV is a right, not a privilege (at least for me :)) I have a RIGHT to receive HDTV broadcasts and I could care less where they come from. If it was up to ABC and sCARE, HDTV would be banned in Denver. Lack of education is what has led to the #16 DMA in the nation getting screwed up by politics.

Either way, rumor has it we will be HOT on SpaceWay 4/2006 ... we'll see, but I am staying in NYC until this all shakes out.

Thank you all for your replies... at least we can commiserate for a while until they pull their heads out and move the tower. I got my "good customer" card in the mail, but I haven't tried to call and see if they will actually tell me when we're going hot on SW.

my big concern now is that the superbowl is on ABC, but KMGH has no concrete plans to get it broadcast locally, w/o comcast.

anything else we can do to pressure or get info? might they work with directv on a 1-night exemption?

if i am watching the superbowl in standard def, i'll puke :devil:

happy new year..

Well, I'm clinging to the hope that KMGH really will have a new transmitter up before the Super Bowl. I've even added 7-1 to my favorites list so I can keep tabs on them. Maybe I'm dilluting myself.

I have given up and got comcast mostly for internet but now I get ABC in HD.

After 12 years with D* I am just about to hang them up. Comcast ran fiber by our sub-division last year and yes the picture quality is much better at least in Loveland. The tower issue also has driven me this way at least for now.

Yeah, KMGH is in Denver. I'm getting really tired of this same old story where CARE and NIMBY will grasp at any straw just to make sure that the tower doesn't go through. First it was RF levels, presumably because it was the one thing that would get the attention of the masses. Then, when they were shot down, they claimed that their homes would be crushed my a collapsing tower (which of course happens all the time and is known to kill millions every year. We just don't hear about it because the media won't report it.) Now it's come down to the bottom line and they admitted it in the Denver Post article... they don't like the way it looks. Well, IMHO, one tower would sure as heck look better than the runway lights you can see from east of DIA.

Get real people! Haven't you ever heard that "the good of the many outweigh the sacrifices of one?" If you don't think that way, just ask the United States Supreme Court. That seems to be their opinion!

It seems to me that the City of Golden is trying to be the State HOA... all we ask for is a little plot of land where we can get some quality entertainment with our families. I'm sorry if you don't want to look at it, BUT YOU'RE THE ONES THAT BOUGHT THE HOUSE ON THE SIDE OF LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN! Don't punish the rest of the front range because you were too stupid to think before you signed.

BTW... KTVD is transmitting on 19-1. No audio and no programs worth watching, but at least they've done something.

Last edited:
i know it does no good, but i had to vent on www.thedenverchannel.com again, about the 20th time I've emailed them.

-------------------
I am so upset that you have sort of a "monopoly" on your programming. The ONLY way I can watch Lost or the Rose Bowl is on your garbage reception as I can only get DirecTV in our apartment complex. I can, and now do, get my news elsewhere in HD ... and now I'll have to go to a bar to watch the Super Bowl in HD via comcast as I can't stand watching your garbage reception from home. I'm half tempted to wait for season 2 of Lost to come on DVD before I watch it, but I'm sure you guys see the revenue either way so it'd be pointless. How fair is it that I pay for the NFL package and both fox and cbs granted me a waiver to get the LA feeds (in HD) and I spend $2K on a TV and roughly $500 on HD equipment, yet the most important game of the year is the only one with a non-HD feed as your tower sucks and you don't grant waivers?!

--Very unhappy and disloyal-to-ABC former customer (aka, Bryan Mack)
---------------------------

is it just me or is the response i got quite sarcastic?

-------------
How fair is it that you pay Direct TV for your television and they don't deliver HD to you?
We certainly understand your frustration with HD - we are all frustrated. KMGH has granted Direct TV permission to broadcast our local HD signal into the Denver market. They are behind in launching this service due to their need to launch new satellites. We gave the appropriate permission months ago and they have not put Denver on the list of cities to launch yet.
---------------------

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)