Deposit required based on credit check???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dave940

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
I am trying to get Directv again after 4 1/2 years of Dish Network. I left both Dish and Directv with my account fully paid and in good standing. Now, I am being told by Directv that I need to post a deposit of about $280 as well as some extra receiver fees after my credit check, and I was told Directv uses Experian. So, for the first time, I decided to pay for my credit score to see if there was a problem.

As of this morning, here's my status: Experian VantageScore: 930 on a scale of 530 to 990. Risk Grade: A Credit Category: Super Prime

I can't see how I could be penalized based on this. Is this deposit because I am ordering the Whole House DVR setup with 2 receivers, or what?

Congratulations on your awesome credit score.

As for your treatment by DIRECTV, it pretty much defies explanation. I'd ask them to check again with your correct information.

I just got off the phone with Dish. Found out that I can restart my service without any extra fees or deposits. I'd be back to using their 722 DVR. I'd miss the opportunity for the whole house setup, but this would make my wife happy, she never cared for change in tech. Guess I'll call Directv one more time to see if I can reason with them.

I have found the problem. I was told by more than one Directv employee that they use Experian, so I lifted the freeze on access to my credit. It turns out that they use Equifax, so I have to do the same with them before going further. I guess I want the whole house DVR setup, so I'll be proceeding with that.

Excellent Credit rating !!!

You have your access blocked to your Credit Scores, that would definitely be a reason for D*'s response as they couldn't get your info.

They will give you a different answer once you release the info.

Mines at 806, but it only goes to 850, different service provider.

My Credit Union uses Trans Union.

Edit:
After checking the TransUnion website, looks like thier score also goes to 990, maybe I should run thier score check and see where they have me, my CU has me listed at 806 and a A+ .... wonder what the designations are for higher than mine ...

I put the "thaw" on my credit with Experian two days ago and had tried several times to set up service with Directv, but I had to leave for work just after finding out from them that they had led me to the wrong credit agency. Consumer advocates push the credit freeze as the best way to prevent criminals from opening new credit in another person's name, but it is not without its problems. More than once I have seen the problem of CS reps not knowing who runs their credit checks, as well as not having a clue about the credit freeze process. I was even referred by a supervisor at Direct to a phone number that was described as an "in-house credit check", but it was just a recorded message chiding me on why my credit was possibly bad. The whole debacle has soured me on Directv, but I really want the whole house DVR setup. I intend to talk to Dish tomorrow to see if they will give me a second 722 without charging me $99... if so, I'll probably go back to them and say goodbye to the incompetent CS reps at Directv.

All credit reports will be based on 3 rating pulls; Equifax, TransUnion and Experian. and that max score you listed is not accurate nor can you have 930 based on the score ranges that are in use today. Sorry, just posting some factual reality..

Credit score ranges are rather straight-forward programs. The higher the score, the better your credit rating-and the higher your credit worthiness. The scale runs from 300 to 850 with the median score in the U.S. falling right around 720. Although one company may break the 850 max, the weighted avg number will be used and that max is 850.

Sorry to tell you but the incompetency claim is LAUGHABLE at best.

All credit reports will be based on 3 rating pulls; Equifax, TransUnion and Experian. and that max score you listed is not accurate nor can you have 930 based on the score ranges that are in use today. Sorry, just posting some factual reality..

Credit score ranges are rather straight-forward programs. The higher the score, the better your credit rating-and the higher your credit worthiness. The scale runs from 300 to 850 with the median score in the U.S. falling right around 720. Although one company may break the 850 max, the weighted avg number will be used and that max is 850.

Actually there are NEW scores that the 3 agencies are using that they have devised themselves. I read about it recently, Look it up, they do go to the 900's now.

Kb Cool said:
So what is the min. credit score before Directv turn's you down? 400-500? :D

We haven't heard of any score that is min in 5 years. They are very reluctant to share that info. It only gives a fee required: no and yes. I know it does change with every new offer and that dish is slightly lower than d's.

I put the "thaw" on my credit with Experian two days ago and had tried several times to set up service with Directv, but I had to leave for work just after finding out from them that they had led me to the wrong credit agency. Consumer advocates push the credit freeze as the best way to prevent criminals from opening new credit in another person's name, but it is not without its problems. More than once I have seen the problem of CS reps not knowing who runs their credit checks, as well as not having a clue about the credit freeze process. I was even referred by a supervisor at Direct to a phone number that was described as an "in-house credit check", but it was just a recorded message chiding me on why my credit was possibly bad. The whole debacle has soured me on Directv, but I really want the whole house DVR setup. I intend to talk to Dish tomorrow to see if they will give me a second 722 without charging me $99... if so, I'll probably go back to them and say goodbye to the incompetent CS reps at Directv.

Saying goodbye to D* would be my option in this case. I have a rule, if you don't want my business, I'll help you by not giving it to you. Simple and easy.

Maybe you should consider looking at the Hopper/Joey that will be available starting on Thursday (3/15). Whole home DVR and a reasonable price make it a very interesting proposition.

Saying goodbye to D* would be my option in this case. I have a rule, if you don't want my business, I'll help you by not giving it to you. Simple and easy.

Maybe you should consider looking at the Hopper/Joey that will be available starting on Thursday (3/15). Whole home DVR and a reasonable price make it a very interesting proposition.

which is why i will never have dish network!

We haven't heard of any score that is min in 5 years. They are very reluctant to share that info. It only gives a fee required: no and yes. I know it does change with every new offer and that dish is slightly lower than d's.

no, BUT they can see the person's history so there IS more to the story likely not being shared (which it shouldn't be). the OP either talks to someone like Claude, pays the deposit amount or chooses another provider as others like lparsons have suggested. it really is a lot easier than arguing over it. its DirecTV's business and they are in it to run a long lasting, quality company and to make $$

Which reason? They don't want your business, or you don't want the hopper/joey??

I would say the hopper/joey thing. 3 tuners in the whole house to record and watch live TV? C'mon?! That wouldn't work in a typical household setup. Only place I see it working is if you are single and live by yourself.

I would say the hopper/joey thing. 3 tuners in the whole house to record and watch live TV? C'mon?! That wouldn't work in a typical household setup. Only place I see it working is if you are single and live by yourself.

It depends on what you watch/how you watch as much as anything else. In my household, one Hopper with one Joey would be more than good enough for me and my son. We tend to watch everything time shifted. Currently with my 4 tuners in the 2 HR24s, the only reason I needed that many tuners for my personal use was because of broadcast channels during prime time. My son watches all cable shows and those delayed.

Because we don't watch live, and cable channels repeat incessantly, the 3 tuners with PTAT would do the job nicely.

OTOH, if broadcast isn't your thing, or you watch lots of live shows, then 3 tuners would be a bit limiting.

It is definitely a use case thing.

that is a in house credit scoring system for the agency, your FICO score is what providers see when they pull your score and not the "FAKO" you see when you request it. the only consumer site that you can pull your real FICO for each agency is myfico.com.

amen :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts