Desperate for help aiming at 129

Widescreen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Allen, TX (Dallas area)
OK, I had a Dish 300 aimed at 61.5 which was fine but, starting today, I need to point at 129 so I can get FSNSW-HD. I bought a Dish 500 with an I-Adapter for use with the DP Dual. I can't seem to find the satellite. Here's what I have.

Elevation: 38.2
Azimuth: 226.8
Skew: 90 degrees (the dish was already set this way)

Is this all accurate? I've tried various online calculators and they seem to be provide basically equal results. Are there any tips I need to know? I'm having a really difficult time finding the sat for some reason. The mast is plumb.

I'm trying to use a compass to set the azimuth and I keep thinking I have it basically right but can't get any signal at all. (Note that the DP Dual was used on the 61.5 and I just cannibalized it so I know it's working).

Please help!!! :)

Note: One thing that's complicating it is that I don't have a portable signal strength meter so I'm having to use my daughter to tell me what's going on the TV signal strength screen via cell phone.

By the way, I've got the signal strength screen at transponder 8 which is where FSNSW-HD is. Once I find the sat I'm going to check all the transponders containing the HD channels I need.

By the way, I've got the signal strength screen at transponder 8 which is where FSNSW-HD is. Once I find the sat I'm going to check all the transponders containing the HD channels I need.

I'm very interested to see what you get when you get locked in. I had to buy a sat finder to help me find the sats. I was tired of tweaking for about 4 hours each time I needed to find a sat.

If you get 129 and the FSN HD channels, let me know if you got the game! I just might have to go up on my roof and set the 129 up also!

The easiest way will be to connect the DP Dual directly to the receiver and go to 129 in the Point Dish screen. What receiver are you using?

Your settings look right.

Elevation seems a bit low. Here in El Paso county I'm around 50 degrees and we are not that much further south. It took me an hour to find with dish 300. It was farther west than I thought too. If you are using the signal meter from the on screen display go veeeerrrryyy slow as it is not very responsive. Do a check switch with no other locations in the loop and then try to point. Also, keep the out loud swears to minimum so the neighbors don't think you are the crazy guy on the roof. :D

I'm using a 622 receiver with 4.41 software.

El Paso is about 650 miles southwest of me so that seems like it would be a fair elevation difference. However, given that I'm about to pull what's left of my hair out, I'll slowly raise the elevation to see if what difference it makes. I would think with all the online tools saying 38.2, that would be pretty accurate. :confused:

I'm getting an elevation of 38.2 and azimuth of 229.3 for the coordinates you gave us.

Look at where your D500 for 119 and 110 is pointing and begin there, you slowly move it to your right (standing behind the dish) or to the West.

How do you have it connected right now? Is the LNB for 129 going to the DPP Twin on the D500? I suggest you just run a cable straight to the receiver for 129 and do it that way.

Edit: I just looked for the settings for 119/110 entering zip code 75002 or 75013 and it gives me 47 for elevation. Try 48 for the elevation.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've given up for now. It's too hot on the roof.

I've got a Dish500 (DP Dual) attempting to point to 129 with one output going to the Dish500 (DPP Twin) pointed at 110/119. This then goes to my 622.

I was using an active transponder at all times. I tried a variety of elevations and azimuths around where it should be and I can't get a peep of a signal. Then I tried going back to 61.5 and can't find it either (of course I only tried for about 3 minutes as I'm getting a nasty sunburn and didn't want to spend any more time up there. I've already spent 4 hours on the roof today).

I just called a local installer and left a message. I suspect I've got about a 5% chance of him calling me back today. :(

This really irritates me because, before we moved to this house, I had always done my own installations and never really had a problem - although I never pointed at 61.5 or 129 - just 119 and 110/119. I was expecting this to take about 30 minutes max. And now I have no HD at all. :mad:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've given up for now. It's too hot on the roof...
This really irritates me because, before we moved to this house, I had always done my own installations and never really had a problem - although I never pointed at 61.5 or 129 - just 119 and 110/119. I was expecting this to take about 30 minutes max. And now I have no HD at all. :mad:

That's why all my dishes are pole mounted. I've burnt some hands and knees on a roof before.

Unfortunately, if I put up a 129, I'll need to go to the roof.

Sorry to hear you couldn't get it to work. Wait until it cools off a little more and wear a hat. :)

Like I said, try running a cable straight from the DP dual to the receiver SAT 1. Don't run it to the separator and don't run check switch until you find it. Make sure you have Tuner 1 selected when you go to the point dish screen.

Sorry to hear you couldn't get it to work. Wait until it cools off a little more and wear a hat. :)

Like I said, try running a cable straight from the DP dual to the receiver SAT 1. Don't run it to the separator and don't run check switch until you find it. Make sure you have Tuner 1 selected when you go to the point dish screen.

So if I disconnect a cable from the 110/119 dish and use a barrel connector to link it the 129 dish, that will effectively be a straight shot from 129 to the receiver. What will that gain me? Are you saying that the fact that I'm going through the DPP Twin could be causing the receiver to not see a signal from 129?

Frisco and 129

So if I disconnect a cable from the 110/119 dish and use a barrel connector to link it the 129 dish, that will effectively be a straight shot from 129 to the receiver. What will that gain me? Are you saying that the fact that I'm going through the DPP Twin could be causing the receiver to not see a signal from 129?

I am fairly close to you over in West Frisco and have had a similar problem with 129. I had been using a Dish 1000.2, but even after being peaked on the the new 622 signal levels I was barely over 40.

I also do the installs myself as I prefer to blue screw the dishes into my walls. After watching rain fade become a growing problem, I decided to peak the dish even further, but because of the balance issues, that was as high as I could get it.

Next options was to go to two sperate dish 500s with one pointed at 119/110 and the other at 129. Having the dedicated dish for the main birds makes a difference in the rain storms as the design alone seems to be more stable and higher signal gain. However, 129 was still extremely weak.

For the temp solution, I moved the 2nd dish over to 61.5 due to the better signal strength and will put a 24" on 129 for FSW SW HD. As soon as I do so, I will post signal readings. I will say that when I was pointing my 31" dish, I was seeing 129 with lots of signal. As the satellite is weak, it looks like going bigger is the best solution.

OK. Problem solved.

I want to recommend Ed at Matrix Satellite in Allen, TX. The dude spent an hour on my roof finding the sat and peaking it and DIDN'T CHARGE ME A PENNY. Un-freaking-real.

With the Dish 500 at 129 I'm getting between 45 and 60 depending on the transponder. I'm very pleased despite the sunburn. :D

Thanks everyone for your insight and assistance. This is one of the best forums on the net.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)