deteriorating picture with hdmi cable

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

somthine

Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
i used to have the 508 reciver connected to my tv through a regular s-video cable, and when i got the 622 installed and connected with a hdmi cable, i was expecting atleast a slight improvement in picture quality for all my channels, but instead my picture quality has deteriorated from before. Has anybody else noticed this.

i have no complaints for my HD channels as the picture is really nice. its the regular SD channel that i have a problem with.

i wanted to know if there is somthing in the reciever settings i could play around with
to improve the quality of the picture(right now i am watching it at 1080i) or should i try to experment with some component cables.

Thank You.

The SD channels in a regular receiver always look better than in HD receivers. Depending on your TV, one thing you can try is to use S-Video or Composite to watch the SD channels. Of course you will need to change the input in your TV back and forth but this seems to help when watching SD channels in HD receiver.

It's not that your picture quality has deteriorated from before, its that you're sending a MORE detailed signal to your TV so you are now able to see how crappy the SD channels from dish REALLY look. Hook the svideo cable back up to your TV and use that connection when watching the SD channels.

That's interesting... I was using a 522 with S-Video, which was just swapped out for a 622 using HDMI. I found the SD channels are signifigantly better with the 622/HDMI than they were with the 522/s-video.
TV is a 46" Sony rear projector.

OK, I'm the noob around here compared to the others who have replied, but wouldn't it be worthwhile for him to try component cables? Would the type of TV he's using be a factor?

if the type of tv is a factor its a Sony 60" Grand WEGA SXRD Widescreen TV.

i tried to connect the 622 with a s-video cable just to see how the quality will look but it still looks way worse than it did on the 508.

somthine said:
if the type of tv is a factor its a Sony 60" Grand WEGA SXRD Widescreen TV.

i tried to connect the 622 with a s-video cable just to see how the quality will look but it still looks way worse than it did on the 508.

I have a sony 60" SXRD and find the SD good but not great which is to be expected. First of all I dont stretch the SD signal, I view it in its standard 4:3 aspect ratio. Stretching or zoom stretching a 4:3 picture makes it worse. Go to the AVS forum and find the SXRD settings forum and use some of the settings that other SXRD owners use. What are your settings. Are you using the default settings on the tv, if you are that is bad for SD signals. Many of the settings posted there are settings that SXRD owners paid a ISF techs $300 dollars or more to do a total calibration, and many of these owners are willing to share those settings. For what its worth I have a firend that does TV delivery & setups for Best Buy and he told me out of the hundreds of sets he has setup(plasmas, DLPs etc.), the SXRD is the best quality for SD.

jdr01930 said:
I found the SD channels are signifigantly better with the 622/HDMI than they were with the 522/s-video.

My comparison might be tainted:
Just realized when I was using s-video/522, I was patching through my AV Reciever (denon 3801) and not using very high end cables.
So it's possible my S-video/522 picture had degradation I never new about, hence the direct HDMI feed from the 622 seems better in comparison.

I think my SD channels from my 622 look better than the same channels did via Svideo from my 522 - particilarly when I zoom-in on a letterboxed SD broadcast. With the 522 I had to use my set's zoom function, and now I use the 622's zoom function. I think it looks a little better....

However, after having my first weekend of HD content, even my DVDs are starting to look bad!

When you use S-Video your tv is up-converting the signal, when you use the receiver HD output the receiver is up-converting the signal. Sounds like your tv does a better job, using the s-video it should look the same as your old receiver.

paychekkk said:
I have a sony 60" SXRD and find the SD good but not great which is to be expected. First of all I dont stretch the SD signal, I view it in its standard 4:3 aspect ratio. Stretching or zoom stretching a 4:3 picture makes it worse. Go to the AVS forum and find the SXRD settings forum and use some of the settings that other SXRD owners use. What are your settings. Are you using the default settings on the tv, if you are that is bad for SD signals. Many of the settings posted there are settings that SXRD owners paid a ISF techs $300 dollars or more to do a total calibration, and many of these owners are willing to share those settings. For what its worth I have a firend that does TV delivery & setups for Best Buy and he told me out of the hundreds of sets he has setup(plasmas, DLPs etc.), the SXRD is the best quality for SD.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. i would have agreed with you 100% about the SXRD being the best for SD when i was watching on my 508 but now i just cant say that anymore. somtimes i wonder if i was better off not knowing what my TV was capable off than to live with an inferior picture.

kb7oeb i was thinking the same thing when i tried to connect the s-video cable but the picture quality is definitly worse than it was before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)