detroit dish installers

15 years. wow. I did not know that. The always told us we could get charged back up to a year for los issues.(I don't work for Dish, but I thought we were held to the same standards). So how can you really tell what those trees will do in 15 years? I know guys who were proud of how well they could 'thread the needle', as far as putting in dishes with a tight line of sight. (personally I don't do it, I hate the Spring because I know I'm going to spend the first month or so moving dishes that were installed in the winter). That's amazing. I'm betting they don't guarantee their equipment for that long. :) I'm surprised when a receiver lasts till the end of the commitment period. I know mine didnt.

they know their equipment wont last 15 years, but they want the install to last 15 years. for that reason they make us take down white cable. even if its quad shield.... they said it dont protect agaist UV rays. and it will only last 8 years not 15.​

[]

And if you get to where your making to much they will drop you to.
Question..Who is the "they" you are refering to?
Am I to understand that whomever this employer is uses termination as means of controlling salaries?..who is it?..I will avoid them like elective amputation sugery.

they know their equipment wont last 15 years, but they want the install to last 15 years. for that reason they make us take down white cable. even if its quad shield.... they said it dont protect agaist UV rays. and it will only last 8 years not 15.​

Huh, that is odd. I don't see how they can even require this since they seem to update their material requirements every couple of years. I really didn't know that about the white cable, I have used that before when outside runs are necessary against a white house. What about grey cable? The rubber weather rings will absolutely not last 15 years, I've seen them crumbling after 3 or 4. What exactly is supposed to last 15 years? What happens when they start requiring solid copper on every install? Are we supposd to go tear down all the "plain old, 3,000 mhz rated copper clad?" The hardware on the dish rusts too, well before 15 years.

I'm trying to imagine what kind of retainage hold back there would be if they required contractors to make this kind of guarantee. Not that I don't agree that the install should last, I just don't see how it could last THAT long. The technology in this business advances so quickly, hell, 15 years from now a dish may not even be required. Or cable for that matter. It might just be as simple as putting a tiny little wireless antenna in your attic. Who's to say?

Well orbital I worked up there in Detroit as a dns installer for 6 years and though there are alot of tree's its no diferent than most cities. The elevation isnt all that low on the dish ( remember the signal doesnt come head on but from higher up at about 40 119 and 45 110 respectfully ) so if your having a problem picking up signal then maybe you should look at how your picking your mount location.

I served my time installing systems all over Detroit from the west side to the north to the south and the east, I have been in every neighborhood and have installed on every type of house including a crackhouse but a crackhouse is not common at all.

If your putting your life in jeaprody to do an install then your either an idiot or your bullshitting about what your doing, if you really are putting your life in danger then maybe its time you sat down with Rita and asked for a transfer out to the Ann Arbor office, atleast there you will only be installing on mostly country homes and are at mild risk of being pecked by chickens or licked by a cow.

Contractors do cancel jobs though not as much as they used to considering that the late GM and current IM cut down the amount of jobs they would farm out to them. Oh and the rule for an install is 15 years not 5 or 10, you can verify this by talking to Bj the trainer if he is still there and if not then your FSM or Troy the QA.
40 for 119 and 45 for 110?...Huh?....I just looked up a zip code for Troy, MI...The elevation for a D-500 in that Zip is 31 degrees.....
a 15 year install?..Nobody here ever heard of that...We are held liable by DNS to ONE year..After that if LOS becomes and issue , it's a service change.I will look at the trees and with my knowledge of trees, tree identification from my landscaping days, I can tell farily well if a LOS is going to go away....I fully realize now that each GM in the various DNS offices make their own rules..We had a GM here that was numbers first ,everything else last..He is the one that told us to do bucket mounts at apartments just to get them in.,...WE followed that policy until the trouble calls came cascading in ...Guys were going out to realign these things on non pay trouble calls....The Current GM says not to do bucket mounts..Use tripods and charge the customer accordingly..
Anyway, this idea that techs are being forced to put their safety in jeopardy is crap...I won't go into bad neighborhoods that are known for gang activity or are high crime areas..And no one at our office will force us to do so..Ever...I went into an apartment comlex that was gang tagged and gang members were present near the apartment I was to be working on..I called my dispatch super and he said to get the hell out of there..
I see this install business becomeing more adversarial as time passes..it's sad..The bean counters and slave driving managers are ruining the whole thing..

White Cable?!!!!!!!! WHAT?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man I will tell you I see more and more Bullsh!t on here all the time...Gotta tell ya If the white cable mentioned here isn't lasting because it supposedly needs UV 30 sunscreen, it must be real sh!tty cable....I have never heard of such poppycock in all my years in this business..
I am not upset with you at all..Just the situation...Please don't take this post the wrong way...

Huh, that is odd. I don't see how they can even require this since they seem to update their material requirements every couple of years. I really didn't know that about the white cable, I have used that before when outside runs are necessary against a white house. What about grey cable? The rubber weather rings will absolutely not last 15 years, I've seen them crumbling after 3 or 4. What exactly is supposed to last 15 years? What happens when they start requiring solid copper on every install? Are we supposd to go tear down all the "plain old, 3,000 mhz rated copper clad?" The hardware on the dish rusts too, well before 15 years.

I'm trying to imagine what kind of retainage hold back there would be if they required contractors to make this kind of guarantee. Not that I don't agree that the install should last, I just don't see how it could last THAT long. The technology in this business advances so quickly, hell, 15 years from now a dish may not even be required. Or cable for that matter. It might just be as simple as putting a tiny little wireless antenna in your attic. Who's to say?

I really think that this alleged 15 year thing is just a means top threaten an otherwise good tech because of the mountains of crummy installers that have come and gone..
First off, anyone who would sign an employment agreement that allowed the employer to withold earnings for 15 years is an idiot and gets what they deserve..

Well orbital I worked up there in Detroit as a dns installer for 6 years and though there are alot of tree's its no diferent than most cities. The elevation isnt all that low on the dish ( remember the signal doesnt come head on but from higher up at about 40 119 and 45 110 respectfully ) so if your having a problem picking up signal then maybe you should look at how your picking your mount location.

Actually there is a correction on your elevation...

119 = 30
110 = 34
129 = 23
61.5 = 36

i am not taking this wrong way dishcomm.
i dont know if this is nation wide or not, but our office in new jersey will fail your Automatically if there is white cable outside.... you can only have dual white cable with messanger. i have spend 3 to 4 hours rebuilding jobs just cause previous installer used white cable for everything. since last 2 weeks i dont even bother them unless they look really bad from sun Damange. they do allow gray cable.

i thought everyone knew about this..... is it just our market in easy coast ???

may be van has more info on this.

The call is for RG6 swept tested to 2150 MHz, not the color of cable. If UV rating wants to be a key player, the plastic bushings used at point of entry's are not UV rated.

Each office is different. Each geographic area is different, so be it.

The call is for RG6 swept tested to 2150 MHz, not the color of cable. If UV rating wants to be a key player, the plastic bushings used at point of entry's are not UV rated.

Each office is different. Each geographic area is different, so be it.

well i am fighting it, my argue is the QC only asked for RG^, and 2150 rated cable. not the color or uv rating. if they want fail me on it, they can change the QC....

Question..Who is the "they" you are refering to?
Am I to understand that whomever this employer is uses termination as means of controlling salaries?..who is it?..I will avoid them like elective amputation sugery.

Nothing that some managers dislike more than a lowly peon that makes more than they do.;)

40 for 119 and 45 for 110?...Huh?....I just looked up a zip code for Troy, MI...The elevation for a D-500 in that Zip is 31 degrees.....
a 15 year install?..Nobody here ever heard of that...We are held liable by DNS to ONE year..After that if LOS becomes and issue , it's a service change.I will look at the trees and with my knowledge of trees, tree identification from my landscaping days, I can tell farily well if a LOS is going to go away....I fully realize now that each GM in the various DNS offices make their own rules..We had a GM here that was numbers first ,everything else last..He is the one that told us to do bucket mounts at apartments just to get them in.,...WE followed that policy until the trouble calls came cascading in ...Guys were going out to realign these things on non pay trouble calls....The Current GM says not to do bucket mounts..Use tripods and charge the customer accordingly..
Anyway, this idea that techs are being forced to put their safety in jeopardy is crap...I won't go into bad neighborhoods that are known for gang activity or are high crime areas..And no one at our office will force us to do so..Ever...I went into an apartment comlex that was gang tagged and gang members were present near the apartment I was to be working on..I called my dispatch super and he said to get the hell out of there..
I see this install business becomeing more adversarial as time passes..it's sad..The bean counters and slave driving managers are ruining the whole thing..

Actually there is a correction on your elevation...

119 = 30
110 = 34
129 = 23
61.5 = 36

The elevation on the dishes is as stated but the angle they come down at is what I said, 40 degrea's and 44 degrea's wich is what alot of techs dont realize and most all customers dont realize, they think that the signal is coming straight in at the dish.

Dish wants the installs to last 15 years and that came from the horses mouths when I worked for them and was repeated over and over. As for techs doing dangerous installs its not required of them but atleast at my old office if you tried to turn down a job due to safety concerns a few of the managers treat you diferently and the defunct GM would turn red if a tech did it more than once in a year.

The higher ups in Dish do put pressure on those below them to crank out the numbers numbers numbers but its the individual managers at the dns facilities that have the green light to impliment specific rules and programs at their discretion and theres no checks put in place to catch them when they make bad decisions such as firing a tech

dish only cares about the NUMBER. low tc rate, higher completion rate. high production rate (more points per hours). less overtime. and every jobs must be up to DNS Standard.

say you go to a TC cause customer got new tv. and dont know how to hook it up. customer never had problem with dish or anything.

after you leave QA comes to look at the job. and he sees there is only 4 LEG BOLT. insteal of 6. you will fail the QC. the QC might go easy on you if you are good tech or if you dont fail QC alot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts