Deutsche Telekom May Bid for Sprint Nextel

Interesting. If I am not mistaken their current network is basically he old Sprint Spectrum one.

Well, there's no future for iden. GSM is the way to go.

Can't imagine why the Germans would want to be saddled with such a basket of problems, regardless of cost.

I know there is no future with IDEN, but I wish there was. When I had nextel it always had great service. Even if you had very very little signal on my nextel (a tower but no bars) calls would go through crystal clear. And the direct connect on Nextel is way better than anything that has come around since :( However there lack of service in rural areas forced me to switch.

When we had Nextel, coverage in this area, even downtown, was spotty. And then all calls were terminated after 1 or 2 minutes. Customer Service was only lip service.

We expanded the area where we worked, and went with Cingular for the plan & coverage. The guys learned to press a couple more buttons to place a call. They liked that both people could speak at the same time.

The contractors around here that stay with Nextel do so because they like playing GI Joe. It certainly isn't for good service.

Well my job, law enforcement, we don't PLAY GI Joe, the nextel direct connect service is great for relaying messages back and forth quickly and easily without broadcasting things over the air. Its something I greatly miss about Nextel. I understand that the service wasn't needed for everyone, but I convinced my most of my family to get it and we all loved the convienence of it. Oh well, It was great while it lasted, I just wish other networks could come out with the same system as effecient as Direct Connect was.

sorry for the spelling and grammer, its been a long day.

I read in the business section recently that Sprint was looking to divest itself of Nextel.

Buyer unlikely. Spin off to be rid of it, let it sink or swim. As a former corporate customer, I'd gladly throw them an anchor while they're treading water.

Well my job, law enforcement, we don't PLAY GI Joe, the nextel direct connect service is great for relaying messages back and forth quickly and easily without broadcasting things over the air. Its something I greatly miss about Nextel. I understand that the service wasn't needed for everyone, but I convinced my most of my family to get it and we all loved the convienence of it. Oh well, It was great while it lasted, I just wish other networks could come out with the same system as efficient as Direct Connect was.

sorry for the spelling and grammer, its been a long day.

We use it here in Columbia as well. The quick direct connect feature is great. I have an i580 and the wife has an ic902. At least in my area it is very popular. I am amazed that other cell phone providers don't offer it. Unlimited usage and no long distant fees. I think if people tried it they would never go back to a standard cell phone. It would be like not having a dvr once you had one.:eek:;)

Our Telekom is the most expensive telecommunication operator and telephone/internet-provider in Germany ...
The Telecom structure in Germany is completely different when compared to North America.

When the internet started (28.8 modem access only), you could find the phone #, username and password published
in local computer magazines. The related charges would be a separate line in the phone bill (DT controls every last mile).

Germany is unique in some other respects as well:
- popularity of ISDN
- usefullness of computer periodicals (c't)
- Fritz!Box hardware (no match I've ever seen)
etc.

Diogen.

The Telecom structure in Germany is completely different when compared to North America.

When the internet started (28.8 modem access only), you could find the phone #, username and password published
in local computer magazines. The related charges would be a separate line in the phone bill (DT controls every last mile).

Germany is unique in some other respects as well:
- popularity of ISDN
- usefullness of computer periodicals (c't)
- Fritz!Box hardware (no match I've ever seen)
etc.

Diogen.

When I've got my first internet access (by Telekom's -T-Online) in 1998, I used a 33.6 bps modem on an analoge single phone line (not ISDN).
Today I'm using a DSL connection with a speed of 16,000 mbps and two digital phone lines with 3 phone numbers (ISDN) by the Telekom's biggest rival Arcor. I never had a Fritz!Box but an other DSL router. Arcor is a bit cheaper than the Telekom.

Today I'm using a DSL connection with a speed of 16,000 mbps...
My relatives in Bremen and Berlin use 1Und1 (2Mbps, I think) and VoIP InternetCalls (outgoing only, I share it with them from Canada).
Incoming is DT in Bremen and cell only in Berlin.

Here in Canada I have 3 boxes: DSL modem, Linksys WRT54G router and hacked Linksys PAP2 for VoIP.
In Germany all 3 are replaced with 1 Fritz!Box.
GSM falls flat on its face during congestion times in this area.
North America not only missed on the advantages of having one cell format, they have no clue how to do it right.
The realization of how stupid this idea was starts sinking in only now...

Diogen.

I also have a UMTS card for my laptop with 3 mbps ... provider is Vodafone.

And there are several wireless LANs here in my hometown where I can connect to the internet for free ... these are the networks of some pals or family members. Most of them are customers of Telekom's -T-Online and some of them use the Fritz!Box WLAN.

Europe certainly has it over the U.S. when it comes to wireless/mobiles. An advantage of higher population density. And the willingness to invest more in public projects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)