Diamond 9000HD + Heat

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

empiretc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
Have any of you Diamond owners noticed how hot this unit gets? Mine is in the entertainment center, but I had to move some wires around yesterday and I was stunned at how hot it was. It had been off all day :eek:!

Needless to say, I took it out and have it sitting on my work bench. I am going to see about retrofitting some fans in it to try and keep it cool.

has anyone experienced this? if someone has already done something about this please let me know.

Thanks

Have any of you Diamond owners noticed how hot this unit gets? Mine is in the entertainment center, but I had to move some wires around yesterday and I was stunned at how hot it was. It had been off all day :eek:!

Needless to say, I took it out and have it sitting on my work bench. I am going to see about retrofitting some fans in it to try and keep it cool.

has anyone experienced this? if someone has already done something about this please let me know.

Thanks

When you say it was "off" all day I'm guessing that you didn't have it shut off on the back of the receiver.....that it was in standby?

That is exactly how mine is, if it is On....or in standby it gets pretty hot. If you power it down totally with the switch on the back it isn't hot.

I do shut it totally down when I am not using it, as I only use it for S2 & HD feeds and it is just hooked to the Loop Out of my Visionsat, that big blue light that shines when it is on standby is annoying when the room is dark anyway.

I haven't attempted any auxiliary cooling methods with mine yet, but it does sit out in the open so that probably helps.

my Coolsat 8000 & Quali-TV are the same way....very warm even in standby

best to make sure its ventilated or add a fan there

Get some cheap USB LapTop Chillers(about $14) and cheap USB hub(about $6)
Connect the Hub to the Diamond(newer DirecTV receivers have a powered USB too), connect Chillers to Hub, and place Chillers - "fans down" on the top of any Hot equip.
I even cut holes in the back of the TV stand and mounted 2 Chillers to help draw the hot air out.
The Quali runs much better when cooler, less resets.

ok so i did a test. I left the unit in standby, on the bench, with a laptop cooler running on top of it. the thing still got pretty dang hot. got the cooler pad really warm to the touch too.

did this with the cover on & off. i dont like it and don't trust it.

I ordered a programmable IR switch so I can tie it into the main power switch. That way when I turn it off with the remote, it turns it off completely (gets rid of the annoying blue light). Seems like the only reasonable way to keep it from being a fire hazard.

I'll update you all when I get it done.

I know I am a little late to the thread, but both of my Diamonds are hot while in use (or standby), too. I just keep them off when not in use (main switch on the back).
I also have them on their own shelves in the entertainment center so they can get plenty of air. But I still keep them off when not in use. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)