Did anyone switch from satellite to streaming (DirecTV Stream or other service) and then switch back?

sealrock

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 28, 2023
San Francisco
If so, why? Am curious about your comparison between the two, especially with sports. Considering whether 2 year contract with DTV will be beneficial - want to switch to satellite from streaming due to pixelation of sports games. Have been with YouTubeTV for 5 years (Xfinity cable before that).

If so, why? Am curious about your comparison between the two, especially with sports. Considering whether 2 year contract with DTV will be beneficial - want to switch to satellite from streaming due to pixelation of sports games. Have been with YouTubeTV for 5 years (Xfinity cable before that).
I have no pixelation with YTTV.

How fast is your broadband?

If on wi-fi , what is your router’s brand and model.

How far away?

The reason why I ask, if it is a older router, which could be a problem or if it is the modem/router from Comcast, if so, they suck, had it back in Michigan 2 years ago, no good range at all, I tested it from the living room, the Comcast unit and a Nighthawk right next to it in the basement, speed and ping were terrible, the Nighthawk was so much better.

Today, I have everything wired with access points in about 6 rooms ( have 4500 sq feet), then wired from the access points to the TVs ( and all other electronics), have 1g service.

I have no pixelation with YTTV.

How fast is your broadband?

If on wi-fi , what is your router’s brand and model.

How far away?

The reason why I ask, if it is a older router, which could be a problem or if it is the modem/router from Comcast, if so, they suck, had it back in Michigan 2 years ago, no good range at all, I tested it from the living room, the Comcast unit and a Nighthawk right next to it in the basement, speed and ping were terrible, the Nighthawk was so much better.
600-700 mpbs, connected via Ethernet to Apple TV 4K. No issues on other streaming platforms at all, just streaming sports which has a bad quality/compressed render IMO. Router is Arris SVG2482AC.

Do you specifically not see pixelation/artifacts on YTTV on basketball games? Any fast motion sports I think the quality of the render/compression is just terrible - I don't think it's an internet/equipment problem.

Thanks for the reply.

None.

What model is your TV?

600-700 mpbs, connected via Ethernet to Apple TV 4K. No issues on other streaming platforms at all, just streaming sports which has a bad quality/compressed render IMO. Router is Arris SVG2482AC.

Do you specifically not see pixelation/artifacts on YTTV on basketball games? Any fast motion sports I think the quality of the render/compression is just terrible - I don't think it's an internet/equipment problem.

Thanks for the reply.
You are likely hitting a known bug in the AppleTV app for YTTV. Try switching audio output to Stereo in the AppleTV settings and see if the problem goes away. I see similar issues, and I actually just contacted YTTV support about the issue again today.

Reactions: Tecnicoloco
None.

What model is your TV?
Sorry, what was 'none' in response to? Model is Panasonic TC-P42G25
You are likely hitting a known bug in the AppleTV app for YTTV. Try switching audio output to Stereo in the AppleTV settings and see if the problem goes away. I see similar issues, and I actually just contacted YTTV support about the issue again today.
Ok, thanks for the advice. Don't think it's something like this, though - I think it's the quality of the compression/render of the stream between the broadcaster and streamer.

Ok, thanks for the advice. Don't think it's something like this, though - I think it's the quality of the compression/render of the stream between the broadcaster and streamer.
Well, if it is the stuttering artifacts I see, it probably is what I posted. If it is just poor PQ with smooth motion, then probably something else. Either way, it is something to try. Good luck.

I have seen some serious macroblocking artifacts on some channels, like BBC World as well, so it could be a feed quality issue.

FWIW: the last time I had DirecTV satellite, I was disappointed the PQ and motion were not particularly wonderful. It was fine, but nothing special. Dish actually looked better that DirecTV for sports to my eye with the Hopper 3, but I am not recommending you go that route.

Sorry, what was 'none' in response to? Model is Panasonic TC-P42G25

No, I believe it is your TV, plasmas are known to have issues with streaming, they have to process the signal from your Apple TV also.

First, go into your video settings, I assume you have it set at 1080P since it is not a 4K TV, change it to 720P to see if that makes a difference.

And when I said none, that was to say no issues at all streaming on any service.

Have a 8K Sony Z9K, a Sony A90J OLED and a Optoma Projector outside, no issues streaming at all on any service.

But if you are going to switch back to Satellite, now is the best time since they are doing a two year price discount, still more then YTTV with the fees, but better.

No, I believe it is your TV, plasmas are known to have issues with streaming, they have to process the signal from your Apple TV also.

First, go into your video settings, I assume you have it set at 1080P since it is not a 4K TV, change it to 720P to see if that makes a difference.

And when I said none, that was to say no issues at all streaming on any service.

Have a 8K Sony Z9K, a Sony A90J OLED and a Optoma Projector outside, no issues streaming at all on any service.

But if you are going to switch back to Satellite, now is the best time since they are doing a two year price discount, still more then YTTV with the fees, but better.
What device(s) are you using to watch YTTV? Do you have an AppleTV to test on?

plasmas are known to have issues with streaming
What kind of problems? I had a 64" Samsung plasma for years and streamed all the time. The only reason I don't still have it is the panel died and no replacement parts were available. It was the best TV I ever had. 600Mhz refresh rate made for very smooth motion without SOE. 1080p content from Netflix looked great on it.

What kind of problems? I had a 64" Samsung plasma for years and streamed all the time. The only reason I don't still have it is the panel died and no replacement parts were available. It was the best TV I ever had. 600Mhz refresh rate made for very smooth motion without SOE. 1080p content from Netflix looked great on it.
Have read many posts on YTTV reddit, same as he described, when I get home from my meeting I will see if I can find them.

Reactions: ncted
Aside from the audio sync problems, Super Bowl looked good to me yesterday on YTTV on my 6-7 yr old 65' LG 4k LED that I just given to my sister. Was using a 4k Firestick at her house. I watched the 4th quarter at my home on new 75in OLED via Roku 4k stick on the Fox Sports app and it looked fine. Didn't try the apple tv since the Fox Sports app on AppleTV doesn't support HDR, but I watched some of the Kansas/OU basketball game last week on YTTV with the AppleTV and didn't notice any macroblocking, pixelation or fuzziness.

I think a lot of these problems tend to be a local problem via the CDN and where it is located and coming from. I rant on Cox a lot for their price gouging and data caps, but internet service has been outstanding for nearly 2 decades at 3 different homes.

BTW: I tried switching back to 5.1 audio this evening, and the stuttering is still gone. I'll be curious to see if it returns after some time. Reddit posts suggest quitting and restarting the app will also temporarily fix the stuttering problem.

When you see a game with poor PQ on YTTV, have you tried switching over to the live stream in the associated channel app (e.g. Fox Sports, ESPN, etc.) and seeing how the same game look there?

I will say that many folks believe that DTV Stream has better overall PQ than YTTV does. So that might be an option.

Reactions: ncted