Did D* drop the broadcast networks On Demand?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NGeorge

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Olympia, WA
Hey Guys --

I seem to remember D* offering the broadcast networks On Demand... 1002 CBS, 1004 NBC, 1005 FOX and 1007 ABC (same numbers as their local channels in NY) a while ago.

Obviously I don't watch them much, but I forgot to record Shark Tank last week and there was nothing on 1007... so I pulled up all my channels, and none of the broadcast networks are listed On Demand anymore.

Just curious, when did D* drop them -- or am I not seeing all my channels?

Nat

Hey Guys --

I seem to remember D* offering the broadcast networks On Demand... 1002 CBS, 1004 NBC, 1005 FOX and 1007 ABC (same numbers as their local channels in NY) a while ago.

Obviously I don't watch them much, but I forgot to record Shark Tank last week and there was nothing on 1007... so I pulled up all my channels, and none of the broadcast networks are listed On Demand anymore.

Just curious, when did D* drop them -- or am I not seeing all my channels?

Nat
Nope, they are still there.
1007, and Sharktank is listed with a number of episodes available.

Last edited:
Any idea why the networks could be gone on all 3 of my boxes? All the other On Demand channels are there... I called D* and they did the usual rehits/reboots... Nothing. Are the network On Demands available in all markets, or can the local affiliates request they be blocked?

I have THR-22's (Tivos) hopefully that isn't the reason (On Demand was bricked for over 6 months until they released a another update a few months back which made it work again)...

It's not the end of the world - - but considering the networks are still up there I'd like to be able to access them when I forget to record things like Shark Tank (honestly one of the few network shows I watch--if it was HBO or SHO On Demand that was down I'd be cursing D* a lot more since I usually just download those series since the complete seasons are up--saves the DVR tuner avails) :)

Also now that you mention FOX I think your right... I may have been hallucinating... Now that I think about it I remember it was just CBS for a while, then ABC and then NBC came along right before I had to take a little cable break due to trees at my old place for a while.

N

Hmmm, this is odd, I originally was wondering if your Internet connection was there on the recvr, but, I believe that if you don't have a connection, you won't be able to bring up the 1000's channels all together.

I believe that if you don't have a connection, you won't be able to bring up the 1000's channels all together.

they still show in the guide. For the last 8 months of my Directv account I hadn't had internet hooked up and the VOD showed in there. All the 1000's were there

Definitely have Internet... I use HBO and SHO On Demand quite a bit...

The networks are the only things missing...

Do you get Locals from DirecTV or from an antenna/AM21? Just thinking that maybe without locals they dont show up.. I'll research it and see what I can come up with.. It's a problem I've never heard of before

Just did some quick research.. here's what I've found
1. Several postings about this issue with the THR-22 (The DTV TIVO box), found a few answers that the network On-Demand channels not showing up was a known issue (However, searches for shows WILL show those channels, but not give access)
2. Found a post that gave a clearer answer.. The Network On-Demands are not available on TIVO boxes due to copyright limitations.
So, I'll keep digging into it, but looks like #2 is the answer.
On a side note, why a THR-22. I know TIVO people are loyal as all get out, but that particular receiver is, well, kind of a dog. It got terrible reviews from both DirecTV people and TIVO people. So bad that there were actually allegations that DirecTV sabotaged TIVO.
Please don't take offense, I'm just curious.

Little more info regarding the "Copyright" issue..
The network on-demands wont allow fast forwarding on their downloads. The issue appears to be that on the THR-22, Directv wasnt able to block Fast forwarding. Since they couldn't block it, the networks wont allow them.
Your advertising dollars at work! BAH!!

Little more info regarding the "Copyright" issue..
The network on-demands wont allow fast forwarding on their downloads. The issue appears to be that on the THR-22, Directv wasnt able to block Fast forwarding. Since they couldn't block it, the networks wont allow them.
Your advertising dollars at work! BAH!!

Correct, the shows come on in the beginning and tell you that FF is disabled if you try to use it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)