did Dish change recording "new and reruns" behavior lately?

Jim S.

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
FN11od
It used to be that every instance of a rerun would NOT be recorded if it had been recorded recently, especially if it was still on the DVR. Lately, I've been seeing every instance being recorded, even if multiple copies are still on the DVR. Examples are Red Bull Air Race on Fox Sports 2, and Lost Girl on SyFy. (This one I briefly had to set to "new and reruns" because the original air dates on first-run episodes were the real first-run Canadian dates, rather than the American ones, so new-to-us episodes weren't being recorded. They've since fixed it so that the first run gets the American date, and the reruns get the Canadian date. :rolleyes: )

I have S520, although I started noticing it before that.

Reactions: Bruuce
I've seen this on my VIP722k, for the SyFy channel recordings of "Bitten". The guide dates are showing Canadian run dates, so my 722k won't record them as "New". I missed a bunch of shows now because I didn't realize this was happening until the other day. I have now changed it to "Record All".

And you're sure timer is set up for Only New?

You didn't understand what I was saying.

If I set it for "only new", that works. If I set it for reruns, it keeps recording a rerun each time that particular episode is aired. My 622 didn't do that, and I don't think the Hopper used to do that, or at least not as consistently as it is now.

I have noticed a couple of times that I had duplicate recordings in a couple of shows. No duplicate timers. Almost all of my timers are set to new only, and the duplicates were on "New and Reruns." Even so, on my 722 it wouldn't record something still in the DVR, but my HWS does.

I get the same things on a couple of different shows. I have "At Midnight" with Chris Hardwick on Comedy Central set for NEW and it records both shows every night (9 and 11). If I try to delete one version, it deletes both. I forget the other shows offhand, but a couple of shows with 2 nightly broadcastings do the same thing.

Also, I have a new Hopper I just activated yesterday with software S520, but my old Hopper did this too with S517.

Deadliest Catch. For the last 2 weeks it double recorded shows on a Saturday that I had already recorded on Tuesday. All my timers are set correctly.

It may not entirely be Dish's fault. Tribune Media supplies the info for the epg. If they flag the 2nd instance as new, the dvr will record it. Go imtp your daily schedule and see what's scheduled to record. If you see a duplicate, see if it is flagged as new.

Ok, let's assume that this isn't a Hopper bug (hahaha, sorry). If the episodes are listed without an episode number or original airdate, the DVR will record them regardless because it can't match it up with an existing DVR event. Could that be the case? It could be a Tribune listing issue, as previously noted.

I've seen this (and before S520) as well. I know about the missing guide data will make it go the fail-safe route and record it just to be sure but based on the visible guide data (I'm sure there's back-end guide data that's not displayed in the UI), nothing was off.

Ive seen that.

Same thing with River Monsters. I think Tribune just has an issue.
I too have seen this with River Monsters...prior episodes of the Unhooked version of the show are being flagged as "New" in the guide description and my timer (set to record new episodes) dutifully records them even though I've seen them last season. Last week's supposedly "new" evening episode was a repeat from last season and my 772k correctly did not record it...so it's the way the episodes are being flagged by the EPG provider.

This may not be related, but what's with the season/episode number variations where some episodes are tagged as "S4 E9" and others are "Episode 204" (I presume, Season 2, episode 4) ?

I don't pay that close attention. I do go through recordings that the kids have (they like to watch but not delete) and I'll see the same episode name listed twice a lot of times.

So there IS a problem. But is it something the Hopper has always done differently from the ViPs (I think I would've noticed sooner if so), or a recent change? And can we get it changed back?

I don't know, that's above my pay grade. :) Most of the time in the episode descriptions if they are new there is a (New) at the end. I have noticed many times that it is not there many times on new episodes, so maybe it's not Dish's problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts