Did Dish fix their OTA Dual Tuner overheating problems?

upsss

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
AZ
Hi, I am looking for the Dish OTA Dual Tuner and wondering if Dish has fixed the overheating problems and premature failure problems of these tuners. If there is a new version that fixed these problems? If they have a new version how do you identify it and what is the part number?

Thanks

A related question, if you install the USB OTA tuner and then drop local service from Dish, will you still be able to schedule recordings using the program guide?

How about the skip commercials feature, would that also still work with this OTA? Also, how good the Guide for the OTA channels would be?

How about the skip commercials feature, would that also still work with this OTA? Also, how good the Guide for the OTA channels would be?

Skip doesn't work with OTA. The guide information is hit or miss. You'll likely have it for all or most of your "Big 4" but likely not the subchannels.

Skip doesn't work with OTA. The guide information is hit or miss. You'll likely have it for all or most of your "Big 4" but likely not the subchannels.

What do you mean that skip doesn't work with OTA? It does here. I'm pretty sure AutoHop even works with no DISH locals. I know it works with OTA when you have the locals.

And of the 18 sub channels we get here I've got guide info for 11 of them.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Yes, all the commercial skip stuff works with OTA. The guide info for the main channels is very good and the sub channels is pretty good, depending on the DMA you're in.

I am still confused, does the auto skip commercial works with OTA if you DON'T subscribes to locals?

Last edited:
I am still confused, does the skip commercial works with OTA if you DON'T subscribes to locals?

If you mean the regular 30 second skip the answer is a definite yes. If you're talking about the automatic commercial skipping or AutoHop, it worked with no DISH locals the last time I checked with a customer who didn't subscribe to the locals. I'm pretty sure it still does.

If you mean the regular 30 second skip the answer is a definite yes. If you're talking about the automatic commercial skipping or AutoHop, it worked with no DISH locals the last time I checked with a customer who didn't subscribe to the locals. I'm pretty sure it still does.

This may sound like a weird question. But assuming you’re “moved” but drop your locals, do you have to “move” back to get the Hopper 3 to recognize your TRUE LOCALS that you now only get OTA? I’m asking this in case I decide to drop my “moved” locals, but decide to stay “moved” if I ever want to re-add them.

This may sound like a weird question. But assuming you’re “moved” but drop your locals, do you have to “move” back to get the Hopper 3 to recognize your TRUE LOCALS that you now only get OTA? I’m asking this in case I decide to drop my “moved” locals, but decide to stay “moved” if I ever want to re-add them.

Sorry but I have no idea. :)

What do you mean that skip doesn't work with OTA? It does here. I'm pretty sure AutoHop even works with no DISH locals. I know it works with OTA when you have the locals.

And of the 18 sub channels we get here I've got guide info for 11 of them.
Auto hop works on ota channels for the main networks. I have no locals from the satellite but I do have ota and I have prime time anywhere turned on. If I make an ota recording of the big 4 networks, I get auto skip on them the next day in my dma.