Did Dish really break my Tivo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadbeat

Original poster
Dec 24, 2003
I read a post earlier that said Echostar did an auto firmware upgrade that made the IR output controls from Tivo quit working. Presumably this was done intentionally because Dish is now in the PVR market and Tivo is a competitor. My Tivo IR outputs quit working with my DishNetwork receiver recently, rendering my Tivo mostly useless. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm getting ready to buy a PVR921, but I'm not sure I want to do business with Echostar if that's true.

What receiver did you see the post about? It's rubbish, but I can answer you more specifically if you provide more details.

The post mentioned the Echostar 6000. Please excuse my brevity, I just broke my arm.

I searched in vain for the post I mentioned. I was hoping to provide a link, but couldn't find it. It seemed strange that my Tivo stopped working with Dish, and that post seemed to indicate it happened to others about the same time.

There was a period of about a month that the 6000 couldn't control the Tivos, but that was fixed with the latest software update. It now has no problems controlling the tivo.

It also was not a deliberate act. They fixed a Dish 6000 where the onscreen guide would scroll on and on even after you released the button from your 6000's remote. They put in a delay or something in the software to fix that problem. It worked, but in turn broke the timings for 3rd party remote controls and even Tivo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts