Did I miss Hopper/Joey pricing announcement?

How many really boils down to price. You can take the hottest girl in the bar, but if her junk is bigger than yours it will be a major turn off. :eek:

I'll take a guess. $299 for the Hopper. $99 for each Joey PLUS a two year agreement on approved credit. CC auto pay ONLY.
That's a lease as well.
Fees...$17 per month for tyhe hopper...$12 for each Joey.
Dish is NOT going to give thisaway nor are they going to make it cheap.
Oh, in keeping with Dish's unwritten policy on new equipment, New subscribers only for the roll out.

dishcomm said:
I'll take a guess. $299 for the Hopper. $99 for each Joey PLUS a two year agreement on approved credit. CC auto pay ONLY.
That's a lease as well.
Oh, in keeping with Dish's unwritten policy on new equipment, New subscribers only for the roll out.
Scott has already said that the equipment will be available for all upon release.

That's a lease as well.

I think they already said it will be free to new subs with a commitment. They said it will be available to existing subs as well and that pricing would be reasonable or somesuch. It is intended to be Dish's new regular install so it can't be unreasonably priced, I wouldn't think.

dan188 said:
Like the remote the 922 was suposed to have a touch pad like a laptop. To bad it didn't happen

Sure it did I have two of them....

And what a pain in the ass it was to watch tv with them. :D

Sent from my iPad using The SatelliteGuys app!

$12 for each Joey is too expensive. If it is that high I will pass and they will have crossed the line. I see the max price being $10 for each Joey and a minimum of $7. Perhaps $10 for the Hopper and $7 for each Joey? That would keep the price in line with their current dual tuner DVR's.

They need to make it free for new customers for it to be a success (and that would include up to four Joey's). For existing subscribers I can see $99 for each Hopper and $49 for each Joey on a lease for their preferred customers and perhaps double that for those that are not as well qualified (plan b/c customers). Dish Network will get some equipment back if it gets swapped out to use on another install + 2 year contract which is good for customer retention. I would say additional money each month if Dish was allowing it to be added onto the existing receivers a customer has but they are not allowing a mix of DP/VIP and XIP receivers.

Last edited:
I don't see them charging any less than $7 for each Joey since that is what they charge for an additional receiver fee especially seeing that they put a smart card in each Joey.

Stargazer said:
I don't see them charging any less than $7 for each Joey since that is what they charge for an additional receiver fee especially seeing that they put a smart card in each Joey.

The difference is that the Joey's do not have tuners so why pay more than a traditional single tuner receiver?

I have a 622 and a 722. I connect to 6 TVs. 2 TVs can watch separate HD channels. 2 TVs can watch separate SD channels. The other 2 TVs must watch OTA( 25 digital channels) to get different channels or watch the same channel as the SD TVs. So, the 2 receivers allow a minimum of 4 viewers with their own channels and I can record up to 6 programs at the same time.I would need 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys to do about the same. I would hope the cost of the new system would be equivalent to what I pay now. The new system has a couple of advantages. All tvs are able to see hd and see both DVRs. Since I have EHDs , I can transport programs between receivers. I am not sure if I am willing to pay more right now. I guess as I add more hd TVs it might make more sense to upgrade.

The difference is that the Joey's do not have tuners so why pay more than a traditional single tuner receiver?
exactly. if they want to charge more, it should either be in the hopper or some whole home dvr fee.

The joeys are saving dish money by eliminating receivers and they should charge accordingly.

I think they already said it will be free to new subs with a commitment. They said it will be available to existing subs as well and that pricing would be reasonable or somesuch. It is intended to be Dish's new regular install so it can't be unreasonably priced, I wouldn't think.

Correct, DISH already said the Hopper will be free to new customers with a two-year commitment.

No one has said it will be free to new customers. I doubt it will be either. All that dish has said is that it will be competitive with other providers.

No one has said it will be free to new customers. I doubt it will be either. All that dish has said is that it will be competitive with other providers.

Actually, Vivek Khemka from Dish was quoted at CES as saying that in various press reports such as this one from WaPo:

The box will be free with a two-year contract, said Vivek Khemka, Dish’s vice president of product management.

Dish Network launches ‘Hopper’ set-top box with DVR that extends to TVs in other rooms - The Washington Post

Why pay more? Because Dish said so. It is not about saving the consumer money, it is about saving Dish money (or making Dish more money). Why would they go a route that would cost them money? It is no different than the dual tuner receivers where there are two tuners in one receiver and them sending it from the one box to the two tv's. This is just a different way Dish is doing it. It still has the tuners being distributed to the tv's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts