Did my Hopper used up my allow data on my ISP's cap.

Willh699

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Campbell, TX
back a few months ago in late February, my household upgraded from the 2 722K DVRs setup to a Hopper/2 Joeys/Super Joey set up. sure i had some minor issues, but this issue isn't with the DVR itself but it is a question of anyone else with internet with low bandwidth caps.

i want to know, does the Hopper/Joey/Super Joey eat up bandwidth data more so then what you normally do with the data with Computers/Smart Phones/Tablets/other internet devices.

my household has downloaded movies on the "Dish On Demand" feature like Hotel Transylvania and Frozen for my 2 and half year old niece and a couple of shows i downloaded like Archer from FX on Demand to test the on demand and just today (actually Yesterday as in May 20, as it's now after midnight on May 21) alone, Tornado Alley: Real Time Hattiesburg from The Weather Channel on demand so i can watch it.

i want to know, is the Hopper on demand a bandwidth waster for those with low bandwidth caps like my ISP

my ISP has 1 GB of allow data on their bandwidth cap and i have WISP from TeirOne Networks, a WISP internet company out of the Dallas area.

anyone else's bandwidth reached the cap limit since getting the Hopper or using DIsh on Demand on any receiver in general.

and would it be best if i just disconnect my hopper from the internet period.

Dish on demand does use a significant amount of data. An HD full length movie is typically 2-5 GBs. An SD movie is .5-2.5 GBs.

Reactions: TheKrell
Just checked and there is nothing in Setup or Tests|Counters with the bandwidth utilization (it is available in any network stack--although that would include internal traffic). A data utilization warning is probably a feature which should be added.

Just checked and there is nothing in Setup or Tests|Counters with the bandwidth utilization (it is available in any network stack--although that would include internal traffic). A data utilization warning is probably a feature which should be added.
When you first go into on demand, it gives a pop up you have to acknowledge. It also gives the option for "do not show me this again" which most people click, myself included.

Just to be clear, all the VOD content on channel 1 or 500 and marked as VOD are downloaded via satellite and not the internet. However, the Dish on-line does use the internet. Frankly, if you were to watch content on a Roku or other streaming device, you sure would eat up that 1GB cap in NO TIME at all. Dish on-line does not necessarily use anymore bandwidth than streaming HD content on a Roku, depending upon the source: Amazon's streams use more bandwidth than Netflix's. That 1GB is a ridiculous cap if you have any intentions of watching ANY content via on-line/internet. A teens on YouTube everyday watching HD streams can pretty much eat that up PDQ or at least leave you with no head room for other streams via your ISP. I would consider another ISP if you find you want to use the on-line option more. I love the on-line option for shows I've missed or to see if I would like a show, but NO, dish on-line is not necessarily a bigger hog than other content providers: HBO Go, Showtime Anytime, Amazon, etc. It's all about the content and how much of it your stream.

Good luck.

Correction on my data, I meant 100 GBs not 1 GB. But I guess you are all right on the Dish on demand data eating on a low bandwidth cap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)