Did new software fix these 3 Hopper/Joey issues ?

Now, my so-called "upgrade" to Hoppers and Joeys gives me 4 home locations without OTA access, 4 locations previously serviced by the 722's and 222's without any OTA problem.... This is progress ???

You still don't get it. Each Joey is linked to a Hopper. You can connect to live ota from the linked Hopper. You can view recorded ota on both Hoppers internal hard drive from each Joey. You have ota access from each Joey.

You still don't get it. Each Joey is linked to a Hopper. You can connect to live ota from the linked Hopper. You can view recorded ota on both Hoppers internal hard drive from each Joey. You have ota access from each Joey.

Yes, yes, yes, yes! And an extra yes for he still doesn't get it.

Now, my so-called "upgrade" to Hoppers and Joeys gives me 4 home locations without OTA access, 4 locations previously serviced by the 722's and 222's without any OTA problem.... This is progress ???
All 6 locations must share the two OTA tuners connected to your Hoppers, which isn't the best thing in the world. But, you do have access to OTA at all six locations, which isn't too bad.

You have to understand KAB, Gary is a part time stand up comedian (for real), he can't help it. :)

Well, good for him, seriously!! I'm sure that takes a lot of guts. But maybe he could find another venue to try out his material?

Edit: I can see now his influence is Don Rickles.

Last edited:
All 6 locations must share the two OTA tuners connected to your Hoppers, which isn't the best thing in the world. But, you do have access to OTA at all six locations, which isn't too bad.

Thanks, guys, for the various suggestions, very much appreciate them ..... Just to provide some understanding here's some added background:

1) When I placed my order for the 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys in January I was told by Advanced Tech Support that I'd be able to get independent OTA viewing on all 6 receivers as long as I connected the OTA module to each one via the USB port.... So I went ahead and purchased 6 modules at $30/each= $180 investment just to keep the same OTA setup I had with my 722's and 222's....

2) My OTA viewing is primarily for a secondary DMA (West Palm Beach), where my brother's family lives, and I like to follow their local news coverage plus added NFL and College Football/Basketball games not carried by my Miami affiliates due to Dolphins/UM commitments.... DISH, obviously does not carry those stations in my DMA....

3) As I understand it, if I access OTA channels from the Joey I will also be accessing the Hopper's tuner for satellite channels and thus, I will be defeating the Joey's previously independent tuner for satellite channels.... So, at that point the Joey turns into just a mirror of the Hopper with no independent viewing possible..... Not good when there are various TV users in the home...

Nonetheless, the question I would like to ask DISH's Engineers is why, if you went ahead and created 3 tuners in the Hopper, why those 3 tuners could not have been also opened up for OTA viewing in the Joeys, not just for satellite channels ?.... Is this OTA software add-on a materially higher product cost ?..... Puzzled....

Thanks, guys, for the various suggestions, very much appreciate them ..... Just to provide some understanding here's some added background:

1) When I placed my order for the 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys in January I was told by Advanced Tech Support that I'd be able to get independent OTA viewing on all 6 receivers as long as I connected the OTA module to each one via the USB port.... So I went ahead and purchased 6 modules at $30/each= $180 investment just to keep the same OTA setup I had with my 722's and 222's....

2) My OTA viewing is primarily for a secondary DMA (West Palm Beach), where my brother's family lives, and I like to follow their local news coverage plus added NFL and College Football/Basketball games not carried by my Miami affiliates due to Dolphins/UM commitments.... DISH, obviously does not carry those stations in my DMA....

3) As I understand it, if I access OTA channels from the Joey I will also be accessing the Hopper's tuner for satellite channels and thus, I will be defeating the Joey's previously independent tuner for satellite channels.... So, at that point the Joey turns into just a mirror of the Hopper with no independent viewing possible..... Not good when there are various TV users in the home...

Nonetheless, the question I would like to ask DISH's Engineers is why, if you went ahead and created 3 tuners in the Hopper, why those 3 tuners could not have been also opened up for OTA viewing in the Joeys, not just for satellite channels ?.... Is this OTA software add-on a materially higher product cost ?..... Puzzled....

Let me try to clarify:

A Hopper has three Sat tuners with an optional OTA tuner via USB module. A Joey has no tuners of its own, nor is it built to recognize and use a USB tuner. It can only access one of the available Hopper tuners (either Sat or OTA). A Joey watching OTA from a Hopper will use the OTA tuner, but it does not also use a Sat tuner as you seem to imply.

As to your last question to the Dish Engineers: Sat and OTA tuners are completely different hardware, to my knowledge no one has ever developed a single tuner that is capable of receiving both and can switch back in forth at the user's prompting. I'd imagine that would get extremely complicated and therefore costly (so it is probably more efficient to create a design with two separate specialized tuners instead).

If conversations with Dish caused you to buy 6 OTA modules for only 2 Hoppers, I would call them and see about returning and getting a refund on the four that are unusable by you. Someone should have caught that before they all got shipped to you.

Also, as someone said, if all you need is live OTA TV, plug the OTA antenna feed directly into your TV's OTA tuner and you're good to go (having I switch inputs for OTA is better than no OTA).

Hope that helps!

The Joey has no independent tuners for any channel, OTA or satellite. It shares the Hopper's tuners.

Last edited:
Well, good for him, seriously!! I'm sure that takes a lot of guts. But maybe he could find another venue to try out his material?

Edit: I can see now his influence is Don Rickles.
So, you don't see how "Yes, yes, yes, yes! And an extra yes for he still doesn't get it. " Might have elicited a lighthearted and fairly mild comment about decaf? In retrospect, you don't consider your comment somewhat overactive and intense for a discussion on satellite HW? Just a tad? A scoche? A teeny weeny little bit?

Lol. GaryPen's dry humor used to bug me but not anymore. It's like a bad song you hear played over and over, eventually you start whistling it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)