Did Nextcomm break my 922?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Shawn, there is 2 options that represent the ultimate in picture quality

The MYHD PC card, which is entirely hardware and can be threw in a 1995 PC, the newer cards with DVI output are unbeatable, storage for that would be Hard Drive

Or D-VHS decks, that would be Pro S-VHS tapes or Real D-VHS tapes for storage, I lookout for deals on S-VHS tape and pay around 2$ per movie these days

I have used both setups and both are great, I prefer D-VHS because I have a safe hard copy(unlike hard drive) that is not degradable(same as hard drive)
hard drive storage per movie would be around 5$ still, I do not trust hard drives at all

Tape on the other hand is used in millions of professional enviornments the world over

when you can sit back and look at a shelf with near 500 True HDTV movies, you truely have something special and great to watch, I gave up DVD years ago ;)

-Gary

Nextcom Fixed my 922!!!

I got it back last night, and it appears to be working A-ok. I shipped it to Nextcom on the 23rd, they got it the evening of the 25th, and already had it fixed and shipped on the 26th. That's good service! :) I was extremely happy when I hooked it up last night and was able to move the dish. It turns out there was a bad connector on one of the circuit boards. The mod appears to be working too, although I've got a couple issues to work through. The biggest being the large number of failed transfers I'm getting. After I record for 15 or 20 minutes it usually locks up, and I have to reboot the PC to get it to record correctly again. I think the problems are due to a USB extension cable I'm using. My next step is to move the PC in next to the 922 and try again without the extension.

After I've had a few days to play, I'll do a review, but for now all I can say is the HD picture quality is incredible. I've been recording OTA HD with MyHD cards for over a year now, and have also recorded some FTA HD with Twinhan cards. My initial reaction to HBOHD is that it may well be the best quality HD I've seen yet. Incidentally, I also used to have HBO and Showtime HD from Dish and the Dish picture isn't even close to 4dtv.

The other thing that was equally amazing was just how good the SD picture looks. I played back some SD I captured from one of the Cinemax channels, and couldn't believe how good it looked. I thought SD looked good with the 922's normal outputs, but they can't hold a candle to the picture I was getting. I played it back with a MyHD card to a 36" Sony Wega standard def CRT, and also through my X1 projector. It looked great on both. On the projector, it really did seem to rival the quality of some of the lower end HD signals I've seen.

iammike said:
After I've had a few days to play, I'll do a review, but for now all I can say is the HD picture quality is incredible. I've been recording OTA HD with MyHD cards for over a year now, and have also recorded some FTA HD with Twinhan cards. My initial reaction to HBOHD is that it may well be the best quality HD I've seen yet. Incidentally, I also used to have HBO and Showtime HD from Dish and the Dish picture isn't even close to 4dtv.

Cool looking forward to a review :up

This might be a dumb suggestion but have you gone into the menu where you set the limits to see what is in there? If they are set wrong you will get that message. It is "OPTIONS, 6,4,3" on my controller.

iammike said:
I got it back last night, and it appears to be working A-ok. I shipped it to Nextcom on the 23rd, they got it the evening of the 25th, and already had it fixed and shipped on the 26th. That's good service! :) I was extremely happy when I hooked it up last night and was able to move the dish. It turns out there was a bad connector on one of the circuit boards. The mod appears to be working too, although I've got a couple issues to work through. The biggest being the large number of failed transfers I'm getting. After I record for 15 or 20 minutes it usually locks up, and I have to reboot the PC to get it to record correctly again. I think the problems are due to a USB extension cable I'm using. My next step is to move the PC in next to the 922 and try again without the extension.

The other thing that was equally amazing was just how good the SD picture looks. I played back some SD I captured from one of the Cinemax channels, and couldn't believe how good it looked. I thought SD looked good with the 922's normal outputs, but they can't hold a candle to the picture I was getting. I played it back with a MyHD card to a 36" Sony Wega standard def CRT, and also through my X1 projector. It looked great on both. On the projector, it really did seem to rival the quality of some of the lower end HD signals I've seen.

So with this mod you can record HD without an HDD200?

Can you watch as you record? If so why would you need an HDD200?

nailzs said:
Can you watch as you record? If so why would you need an HDD200?
You need the HDD200 to watch live HD.

With the mod you can record it, but you need to get it back to your TV somehow. It isn't an 'all-in-one' DVR solution.

Shawn

nailzs said:
So with this mod you can record HD without an HDD200?

Yep, I recorded some absolutely amazing Discovery HD tonight. According to TSReader, the video bitrate was just over 16Mbit for about 2 hours of recording. Incidentally, the issue with transfer errors went away when I got rid of the USB extension cord.

Last edited:
iammike said:
With my MyHD card, I can watch the HD with about a 1 second delay.
Nice. I planned to get the PVR mod on my HDD200 after I send it to Motorola for the Starz firmware update.

dfergie said:
Gonna need more Hard Drives ;) ... back to my X1 and dvd's :(

Yep, it was something like 15gig for not quite 2 hours of recording. But thems mighty pretty pictures. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)