Did the price of ketchup go up that much??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
This is one of my biggest pet peeves.

So I go to a fast foot joint (not naming names but they have a rather large "golden arch" outside) and order my food.

sandwich, fries, pop and I ask for "lots of ketchup"
get to the window and ask is there ketchup in there? Yep they tell me

Get back to work to find......2 packets of ketchup in the bag.....two freaking packets...OK this will work on maybe 2 or 3 fries.

It seems like every fast food resterant I go to can't understand the concept of "lots of ketchup". I'm not talking 30 packets...but at least 6 or more. I like ketchup on my fries and sandwich (today was fish fillet so no ketchup for that)

But McDonalds, BK, Wendys, Hardees (you may call them Carls Jr), Arbys, etc. None of these can comprehend "LOTS" of ketchup. Even when I go in and get it to go. One place had their ketchup bump break. I asked for ketchup and they gave me two packets. I asked "can I get a few more" and the lady got all pissed and threw the ketchup packet bin on the counter and glared at me. To piss her off I should have grabbed one but I grabbed a handful.

I know this stuff isn't that expensive but is there like a rule in fast food that "you must only give 2 packets regardless of meal size" (my favorite is going to one of these...Wendy's excluded because they get it right....and order something different like no onions and to see the look on the dudes face that has to make it thinking "must..........put.......onions on" :)

I've had this problem too many times so I finally thought of way to fix it. I went inside to order which means you get your own ketchup packets (if that particular place has a pump ketchup dispenser, just go to another place that has the packets). I simply took a massive handful and put them in my bag. I only used some of them but now I have more than enough for those future times when "plenty" means 2. Plus, for a few months, I don't even have to ask for ketchup at all. You put some packets in your desk at work and you're set for a good while. When you run low, just skip the drive-thru once more and you're set again.

At Wendy's, if you ask for ketchup they are trained to give you 1 ketchup packet per medium fry and 2 for a biggie fry. I would suggest just asking for six packets of ketchup! That way, their "lots" and your "lots" will be the same :)

I don't like katsup so if you send me a SASE I'll be sure to forward every pack of katsup I get w/ a meal...

Reverse psychology...?

Iceberg said:
....and order something different like no onions and to see the look on the dudes face that has to make it thinking "must..........put.......onions on" :)

Hmmm - Iceberg, why not try "...and whatever you do, DON'T GIVE ME ANY KETCHUP..." ?? Probably would open the floodgate...!

(40+ years ago I worked in a fast food joint and even then there was the "1 packet per order" rule. Ironically that joint went out of business pretty quickly - wonder why...?))

I've had this problem too many times so I finally thought of way to fix it. I went inside to order which means you get your own ketchup packets
chaddux
lots of places keep them behind the counter.

I know...someone hasnt said "why dont you bring your own in"? Well, at my work it seems like that stuff seems to go much quicker than I know what I used

Prize Goddess said:
At Wendy's, if you ask for ketchup they are trained to give you 1 ketchup packet per medium fry and 2 for a biggie fry. I would suggest just asking for six packets of ketchup! That way, their "lots" and your "lots" will be the same :)

interesting.....when I go to my local Wendy's they know what "lots" is....I always get 6 or 7 packets for a biggie fry :)

I called my stepdad since he owns a KFC and they usually give 5 or 6 packets if they ask for it....sometimes they ask at the drive thru.

Iceberg said:
chaddux
lots of places keep them behind the counter.

I know...someone hasnt said "why dont you bring your own in"? Well, at my work it seems like that stuff seems to go much quicker than I know what I used

That's why you go to a place that doesn't keep them behind the counter. For instance, our local Wendy's keeps the packets behind the counter but Burger King and Chick-fil-a do not. Next time you go to a place that puts up for grabs, grab a handful.

"...it seems like that stuff seems to go much quicker than I know what I used..."

Try putting your avatar where you keep the ketchup.....

I've done fast food for over 25 years. Still don't know what I'm going to do when I grow up, but I know about the economics of this stuff. As with everything else in the world, the cost of running a fast food restaurant has increased - significantly. Workers Comp and raising wages (living wage) along with increased transportation costs have really hurt the bottom line over the years. Fast food is a penny business. Using some true averages, here's why ketchup is such a valued commodity.

A ketchup packet costs .012
An average restaurant serves 1000 customers /day
A decent franchise group of restaurants is 40

If every order gets 2 extra packets, the daily restaurant cost is $12.00
Multiplied by 365 days in a year = $4,380
Mulitiplied by the franchise group = $175,200

As Prize Goddess says, ask for the amount you want. A typical employee will grab a handful (10-15 packets) and throw them in the bag when you ask for "lots". The fast food restaurants try to stay within a fine line of giving the customer what they want vs. wasting away the bottom line. It's difficult to continually increase prices to make up for the waste, so discipline is needed to keep costs in line.

That reminds me of asking for a lot of ice for my drink. Most of the time, I just ask for an extra cup of ice now. I think lots of ice also may mean six cubes...

i usually ask for no ice, guess I'm a cheapskate, but if they fill the cup up with ice i get no drink ! :hungry: They also look at me like I'm strange just like when i ask for the air conditioning to be turned down coz they make the place like an iceberg. oops no offense :D

I was in Scotland many years ago, visiting family. My cousins wanted to take me to the new McDonald's in Glasgow. They didn't give ketchup there at all unless you asked for it. Then when you do get it, they charge you for it. I think at the time it was 3 pence a pack. I use a lot of ketchup, so it almost cost me the same for the ketchup as it did for the Big Mac. Oh, by the way. They don't call it Ketchup over there. They say tomato sauce. They had no clue as to what I was talking about lol

they knew, they were messing with ya ! :D
When i first came to the states i asked for "normal" coke. This confused them what do you mean normal coke, they asked ? I said as opposed to diet. they said oh you mean regular, i said i guess i do.
Then they asked me what size and i said medium, they said oh you mean regular, i said yes i i want regular regular coke then !:D
As winston churchill said "one nation seperated by language ! "

Ice, you're lucky you got your fries or fish. Usually they 'forget' to pack your bag with everything you ordered. By the way, yesterday I ordered some chicken nuggets and asked for bbq. and honey mustard sauce. STUPID ME! I didn't check the bag until I got home...........yes, there was bbq sauce, but instead of honey-mustard, she gave me regular mustard packets @$#&#%$#^%

I have the same problem IB. I like lots of ketchup on my fries & O'rings. I put extra on my burger too.

I always ask for a specific # of packets(4 or 6) depending on what I order. Taco Ding Dong is stingy with their hot/mild sauce too, so I always ask for 3,4, or 5 packets. Sonic only gives you 1 packet of Salsa with their breakfast burrito. That is enough for one bite.:(

Ketchup is supposed to have anti-oxidants, so it is healthy. :D

A local grocery had a 24oz bottle for 68¢ this week.

I added a couple of pics I found on the net and quickly edited...

Enjoy.... ;)

Attachments

• ketchup_wait.jpg
    ketchup_wait.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 197
  • ketchupriceless.jpg
    ketchupriceless.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 197
Ketchup Individual Packets Heinz 500-7/16 Oz

CS (500-7/16 O)
$16.63

do the math ............................. 3 cents each

and this is for a typical restaurant not a chain

for a chain is half that

BUT THEN AGAIN YOU CAN GET ALL U WANT INSIDE FROM THE DISPENSER

2 EXTRA CUPS PLEASE........................

and you know what else........ the fries cost less...

WOULD YOU LIKE A VALUE MEAL? only with lots of ketchup please............if not i am going to stay in the drive thru lane for as long as it takes..............

gbjbany said:
they knew, they were messing with ya ! :D
When i first came to the states i asked for "normal" coke. This confused them what do you mean normal coke, they asked ? I said as opposed to diet. they said oh you mean regular, i said i guess i do.
Then they asked me what size and i said medium, they said oh you mean regular, i said yes i i want regular regular coke then !:D
As winston churchill said "one nation seperated by language ! "
Try ordering a "small". They'll tell you that they don't have a "small", that, in fact, the smallest is a "medium". Even by American English standards, corporate marketers are linguistic retards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)