Did they ever fix the DD Optical audio

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
which denon?

2105? 1905 seems to be comparably priced to pioneer but is it as good? I think i'd pull the trigger on the 2105 but I'm planning on adding pardigm Monitors which are going to limit the reciever cash. 2105 for $500???

Total newbie (well an old newbie in years), so no snide remarks please. I found this forum doing a search regarding my problem. I had a dish 6000 and purchased a Zenith DA3520 DVD/Surround Sound. Everything worked and sounded great. I just upgraded to a 811. The connections from the 6000 receiver were just moved over to the 811, but now all the speakers except the middle one are extremely muted. I have double checked all the settings to make sure they are in DD, etc. Could my Zenith be one of those that is not compatible with the 811?

smoke said:
Total newbie (well an old newbie in years), so no snide remarks please. I found this forum doing a search regarding my problem. I had a dish 6000 and purchased a Zenith DA3520 DVD/Surround Sound. Everything worked and sounded great. I just upgraded to a 811. The connections from the 6000 receiver were just moved over to the 811, but now all the speakers except the middle one are extremely muted. I have double checked all the settings to make sure they are in DD, etc. Could my Zenith be one of those that is not compatible with the 811?

make sure the 811 is set to DD & PCM mode not just DD in the audio setup. The problems as far as i understand was no sound at all or clicks and buzz. You've probably got a setting somewhere.

Smoke,

The 811 problem with Dolby Digital results in either no sound or an occasional series of chirping sounds. I haven't seen any reported problems with varying sound levels from it, but given the buggy history of the 811, it wouldn't surprise me.

Do you have the same problem with the 811 using the analog outputs or the PCM optical output? How about if you put the Zenith in stereo mode - do the right and left outputs sound equal?

Scott

Yes, I do have the 811 set to PCM & DD. In stereo mode I get good sound from both speakers. Thanks for your replies

The header that the 811 is placing on the audio stream is bad. This isn't a compatiblity issue as much as it is a question of how your system does error checking/handling? some will not play, some will try to play without decode (chirp), and some may have errors (delays, volume problems, etc.)

but then again, no one listens to me cause i'm nutty :yes

Got the P284 software update last night. Just checked on the off chance to see whether the Dolby Digital fix might have been included in this update, but NOPE! :mad: Guess those of us who are having issues with DD will have to wait for P285.

splat10 said:
2105? 1905 seems to be comparably priced to pioneer but is it as good? I think i'd pull the trigger on the 2105 but I'm planning on adding pardigm Monitors which are going to limit the reciever cash. 2105 for $500???

Denon as good as pioneer? No, better! I have nothing against Pioneer but Denon is a step above. To be on equal footing you have to compare Pioneer Elite to Denon. Here is a review of the 2105 from CNet. You'll have to spend a bit over $600 for the 2105 but you won't regret it, IMHO.

http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/Denon_AVR_2805/4505-6466_7-30910987-2.html

NightRyder

actually i just picked up the 2105 from mydigitaluniverse.com for <$500 shipped. I'm sure Ill be happy.

NightRyder said:
Denon as good as pioneer? No, better! I have nothing against Pioneer but Denon is a step above. To be on equal footing you have to compare Pioneer Elite to Denon. Here is a review of the 2105 from CNet. You'll have to spend a bit over $600 for the 2105 but you won't regret it, IMHO.

http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/Denon_AVR_2805/4505-6466_7-30910987-2.html

NightRyder

1. The problem is not hardware related - my 6000 worked just fine with my old Denon via optical out, but it won't work with the 1014. I have to use RCA analog to get ANY sound.

2. Denon is excellent but many feel the 1014 (almost identical to the Elite 52TX) is the best <$500 available. Plus, the problem isn't just the 1014 - other receivers have it as well.

3. One shouldn't have to base a receiver purchase off of the lack of DD on a few sat/OTA channels.

4. Another option if the fix doesn't work is to buy an OTA receiver and at least get the DD from that. That would leave only the sat HD channels. PLus, you'd get better everything (other than integration with sat channels) with a sep. OTA rec. I hope it doesn't come to that!

trackman said:
4. Another option if the fix doesn't work is to buy an OTA receiver and at least get the DD from that. That would leave only the sat HD channels. PLus, you'd get better everything (other than integration with sat channels) with a sep. OTA rec. I hope it doesn't come to that!

Sadly, this is the option that I ended up choosing months ago, pairing an OTA tuner with a Dish 721. Unfortunately, this means that I can't watch HBO or Showtime in HD.

For Dish to not provide a correctly functioning 811 after it's been out for over a year is as maddening as it is pathetic.

Scott

Where's the list??

SRW1000 said:
Sadly, this is the option that I ended up choosing months ago, pairing an OTA tuner with a Dish 721. Unfortunately, this means that I can't watch HBO or Showtime in HD.

For Dish to not provide a correctly functioning 811 after it's been out for over a year is as maddening as it is pathetic.

Scott

Can someone e-mail me the location of the list of incompatible receivers?

mjd@inficad.com

Thank you!!

In Answer to the Thread Title - NO

I called Dish on this problem again. The fix is now scheduled for April, according to the Advance Team notes.

I've waited calmly for over 14 months for them to fix this. That's way too long. I asked for, and received, $150 in programming credit in exchange for my 811.

I'll reconsider a new Dish receiver once they migrate to MPEG 4 and the initial users seem satisfied. I don't think that'll be anytime soon.

Scott

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts