Did Voom damage or help the HD future?

tvrobert said:
What is and will hurt the future of HD more than anything is the FCC mandating all stations big and small to upgrade to HD without offering any financial compensation.

What you know or might of forgotten is for exchange for the analog spectrum,these stations asked for and were given the digital spectrum free of charge.

I wonder about the value stations have placed on that (getting the digital spectrum gratis) when you hear them complain about the cost of the switch. One local engineer was bitching that it will cost them 35,000 just to get a PSIP stream in their digital feed, and they don't plan to do HD until the deadline. Maybe with the glut of political advertising revenue from the recent election, they can get on that. :) Of course, all this whining about available funds is moot if you happen to live in or near the largest DMA's. Those guys are rolling in it. Or at least their visible production values might make one assume as much.

All providers have their problems. My experience with Voom has been very good.

As to the subject of this thread. Voom has provided diversity to the HD market. Diversity is always good and regardless of the outcome, ALL will learn from their efforts.

Idont think voom has enough subscribers to have hurt HD, the majority of US and you know who you are LOL (if you are on this site and reading this you are one of us) would have tried a box with any name on it had it offered even just one more channel of HD than the other providers. I think the biggest thing for VOOM was the inability to offer locals, as they Cut out 99 % of the market before they even opened the doors. most people could care less about HD and the only thing that will make them buy it is the Price being lowered. If you are on this site, chances are you are not part of the 99% but in the actually less than 1% of the people that have been adopting SVIDEO early on HD now, Dolby Digital, SVHS Progressive Scan DVD and buying the monster cables, most people dont know what a component cable is let alone a DVI or HDMI. So i for one dont think voom had enough of a share to truly ever have an impact ON HD

Voom

I think Voom has helped with all there HDTV channels and they will even be better soon, so you all stick with Voom and hang on for the ride. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)