Did we almost lose HDNet & HDNet Movies?

DOH!!

Don't you guys know that Charlie Ergen's motto is : "Damn straight it's the other guy's fault when the bastard won't give me what I want!"

I have been sick the past few days and today I got back to work today and got this retailer alert in my inbox from over the weekend...

My question is did we almost lose HDNet and HDNet Movies?
In the meantime, DISH Network recommends programming similar to HDNet on the ESPN HD (Ch. 140) and MHD (Ch. 369, name changing to Palladia on 9/3/08), while comparable programming for HDNet Movies can be found on Universal HD (Ch. 366) and MGM HD (Ch.385).

I like when they put this " see similar programs on "
First the "similar " programs arent , and could you imagine if they dropped ESPN, and said you can see similar programs on HDnet. I guess instead of monday nite football, you could watch Art mann presents;)

I think DN has had its eye on several providers for a while and haven't pushed the issue either because the carriage agreement was still in force or, more likely, because they were still playing catch-up to D*'s HD offerings.

Now that Charlie thinks he's baffled the subscriber base with this "140 channel" BS he probably feels that pulling a few channels won't be noticed. He's always looking to boost the bottom line by playing hardball with channels and then trying to schmooze the subscribers. We'll see how this all works out down the line (especially now that FIOS is becoming a viable option for many people).

Direct does not count onDemand channels and game-only RSNs.
They don't.:confused: They say they have 130 national HD channels,
(w\w.directstartv) can you tell me how they do that?

Totals Summary Dish Direct
Regular 32 34
News 3 4

Movies 19 15
Sports (inc rsn & alts) 36 56

HD PPV 7 33

Grand Total 97 142
(w\w.dishuser.org/dvse-HD.php)

Nice chart by Red Wings and satelliteguys staff.

Personally I think their both smoking the funny stuff but that's me.
You may see it differently and if you do please tell us.:confused:

what direct doesn't do is suddenly pull channels out in the middle of the night. they both use bs channel counts but charlies business habits are childish and stupid.

Yes Charlie is worse.
D* does count PPV and RSN's.
They only added 4 national channels their last launch. And they had a 95 count then and with the last launch would be 99, They got 130 from somewhere. RSN's and PPV

Yes Charlie is worse.
D* does count PPV and RSN's.
They only added 4 national channels their last launch. And they had a 95 count then and with the last launch would be 99, They got 130 from somewhere. RSN's and PPV
yep!

This sounds familiar

Voom, GolTV, HDNet, and on and on. What's next? HBO, Showtime, Espn?

This sounds awefully familiar. Can anyone say Voom???

I thought that if they (dish) could do it to Voom, they can do it to anyone.

Not sure you fellow dish subs remember when dish took off Lifetime because
of a contrat dispute. People went nuts over that move. It was short lived though.

To me its unthinkable to screw with peoples programming. No matter ''what'' your preferences are.

I don't want to pay Direct TV prices. Fine, take down whatever, Dish. As for those who think it "BS," you need to switch to Direct TV where you are assured the channel will never be dropped and where they haven't the least aversion to paying higher rates to the programmers to pass on to their wealthy customers. There is a reason why just about all the super-rich people subscribe to Direct TV. Dish is what it is. If enough of you leave, then maybe Dish will get the message. But if choose to stay with Dish and just call it "BS," you will affirm to Dish that they are pursuing the correct course with negotiations. This is not sarcasm, but sincere advise on using your purchasing power to influence the market.

"the networks refused to negotiate a fair and reasonable price that fairly reflected the channels’ overall ratings, performance, and value for continued carriage."

It's like a broken record over at Dish. I've been seriously considering going back with Dish. But, this kinda ship makes me have second thoughts.

What, would you guys rather than Dish freely paid whatever the content providers ask? No way they could offer the great bargain that is the HD-only pkg then.

Not sure you fellow dish subs remember when dish took off Lifetime because
of a contrat dispute. People went nuts over that move. It was short lived though.

Actually, that was probably the one time where deleting channels was actually an improvement.... Unless you have a significant other who watches it regularly, I think Lifetime caved after they saw how little uproar there really was...

Looking at todays new of HDnet channels being added to Comcast, Cuban probably could of lived without E* has he would of lost around 7-10 million HD subs (est.), and now picks up 20-30million HD subs(est).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts