Did you get your DTV convertor Box yet??

dodge

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Plano, Illinois, United States
ANyone get their DTv convertor box yet??
What did you get???
ARe you happy with it features, performance etc??
Im try to hold out for the Echostar TR-40, but by them my cards will probably have expired.

Still waiting for my Gov't coupons. The status reports as mailed 1-1/2 weeks ago, but still haven't shown up in the mailbox. I think I'll get the Insignia from Bestbuy.

Got mine 02/23, just used one today for a DTX9900 at Radio Slack. Saving the other one up to the last minute to try and get one of the ones I saw that has S-Video and a serial RS-232 port - I wonder what kind of damage I can do through that? (I forget the model - I saw it at work and I'm now at home.)

ANyone get their DTv convertor box yet??
What did you get???
ARe you happy with it features, performance etc??

Yes. Ordered the coupons on 2 January received them in the mail on 13 March. I decided to do some experimenting between two different brands. Was going to get the Zenith unit from HH Gregg and the Insignia from Bestbuy.

First went to HH Gregg. They had two Zenith boxes on the shelf. Hmmmmmm, I thought. That box looks like it had been opened (there was no seal), so I opened the box and found that in fact it had been previously opened and apparently used. The remote had no wrapping and had the batteries installed. There was also an S-video cable in this box. Put that one back together and looked at the other box on the shelf. Jeez - it had no seal either. So I opened that box and found no wrapping materials on any of the contents. There was also an S-video cable in this box. Asked the sales guy if he had any more. No was his reply. "These just came in off the truck." That reply was pure Barbara Streisand (i.e., BS). I complained about the opened boxes and he just blew me off. Walked out without buying anything and went to Bestbuy.

All of BB's Insignia boxes were sealed. So I bought one of those. Use of the Coupon Card was very simple - no questions asked and no problems using the card. Paid $23 out of pocket.

Then went to the closest Radio Shack to use the other card. Expended the other coupon card on the RS Digital Stream DTX9900. Redeeming the coupon card at RS was a major PITA. All kinds of menus for the clerk to go thru. Ask you this question and that question....blah...blah...blah. Asked them why they wanted to know all that other than them sending me mail flyer crap that I didn't want in the mail. "The Gov't requires us to ask that to ensure that you're the right guy to be redeeming their coupon" was their response. That was more Barbara Streisand because BB didn't ask all that crap. Anyway after 10 minutes in the checkout, walked out with the RS Digital Stream STB. I was the only customer in the store and it shouldn't have taken near that long. I hate going to RS.

Didn't visit the Circuit City - they have been bad news to me for a long time (advertising stuff as being on sale that they don't even have in the warehouse). I understand they are supposed to be carrying the Zenith unit, but I won't darken the CC door anymore due to past experience. Wouldn't buy the WallyWorld Magnavox units - no ventilation and only remote control of the STB, which is a big turnoff for me.

Brought both STBs home and hooked them up immediately on 2 separate TV's. Both STB's were very easy to hookup and setup, and both were fully functional. Between the two, I think I prefer the Digital Stream. The remote on the Insignia is very cheap and very small. The remote on the Digital Stream is larger and more robust, plus the On Screen program guide is better on the Digital Stream.

Between the Insignia or the Digital Stream, I think the Digital Stream has a more sensitive receiver. I picked up digital stations on the Digital Stream that the Insignia didn't see.

My two bits worth.......

Last edited:
Yes. Was going to get the Zenith unit from HH Gregg and the Insignia from Bestbuy.

Haha, be glad you didn't get the Zenith and the Insignia - they're the same unit internally; same tuner, decoder, etc. Both are made by LG.

Haha, be glad you didn't get the Zenith and the Insignia - they're the same unit internally; same tuner, decoder, etc. Both are made by LG.

If the two are the same, then why were there S-video cables in the Zenith boxes and not the Insignia boxes at BB? Though made by the same company, the specifications of the two may not be the same. There could be some subtle firmware differences too.

Got my Coupons Here is what I have to say

So I got my coupons Thursday 03/27/08.

Inguires:

I called up radioshack when I go to work and asked them if they had the DTV boxes in and could take the coupon. It was a simple yes. So when lunch hour came around I took off to the shack.

Store:

I asked about the box and they guy said sure we have the box. He went in the back room (Funny it was not out front) and brought out a Zenith DTT900. Out of the three store clerks. One never did the coupon, One did the coupon but forgot how, the other had no problem with the coupon. No questions asked by the way.

deal on price:

I think I got a good deal. I had a gift card left over. So between the gift card and government coupon. Out of pocket was 14.XX (To lazy to grab receipt).

Connecting:

I hooked the receiver up to the RCA connectors on the back of my tv. Placed the battery in the remote. Then went to turn on the unit and got nothing. No big deal. Checked everything and tried again. Still nothing. So I grabbed another triple a battery. Bingo. The boxed came up with two hits of the power button. (RCA and RF type connector) All cables in box. As we know, no Svideo.

Power Up:

A simple setup menu showed up. Channel scan, time zone, and a few other options like screen size. After that it was up and running.

Stations: (Idaho, Pocatello Area)

It found CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, but no fox or CW. I found out that since the stations are newer stations. They will not switch on there digital until the change date. Bummber, since I mostly watch fox.

Picture Quality:

The picture is like watching sat. This box even has a signal meter built into it. (Button on the remote)

Additional Stations:

I picked up a few more stations or X.1-X channels. One was a weather channel, 2 spanish channels and a vareity of PBS channels that are on and off the air throughout the day.

Antenna:

The antenna I have on my house is beat up, and on a post that blows around with the wind. Analog picture was good to horrible depending on the channel. I could go out and rotate the post to get a better signal for analog. The digital signal was great unless the wind was blowing. Then the picture pixalized. Sounds like time for new ant. and better mount.

The complaints I have is:

The remote seems like a cheap peice of **** and the amount of digital channels suck. I heard great stories about other places. Like all programming being delayed 2 hours and such. The only thing that crammed a whole bunch of channels is PBS. That is nice and all but not a big fan of PBS. Plus the channel I want the most is FOX. Good thing I have FTA. Also the picture size on a 19" tv sucks for the channels that is not full screen. I'm not talking letter box. Thank Goodness it has a button to change/zoom the picture.

Comment:

Overall, I think it was worth it. Mostly because of the better pictures and channels being clear. part of me asked why we didn't do this sooner. But I don't think we would have had our coupon program or these cheap boxes.

Thanks,

Josh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)