Difference between 90cm and 1m

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

barney_555

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 12, 2005
Québec, Canada
I have a 90cm Multistar dish, made in China and not of great quality.

What kind of signal quality improve can I expect if I was to switch to a Winegard 1 meter ?

I assume that Winegard dish are better quality than chinese ones and 10cm more should also help.

I would mount that on my SG2100.

A larger dish is always better. There are a lot of factors involving reception. Buy it and hook it up. I am sure the sig will be great.

the 10cm difference will help with the lower signals. You may see a couple point increase on some transponders

As an example, I moved my StarChoice 75e dish (37" x 27") over to SBS6 (I use a 30" dish for AnikF1 only (don't need AnikF2)) and my signal went up compared to a 30" on ONN went from a 80 to a 89

But the big winner was the feeds on Vertical (the footprint for Vertical sucks in MN..much lower than Horizontal)

feed 1 went from 35 to a 58
feed 2 went from 50 to 65

now this is going from a 30" to a 37x27

Iceberg said:
the 10cm difference will help with the lower signals. You may see a couple point increase on some transponders

As an example, I moved my StarChoice 75e dish (37" x 27") over to SBS6 (I use a 30" dish for AnikF1 only (don't need AnikF2)) and my signal went up compared to a 30" on ONN went from a 80 to a 89

But the big winner was the feeds on Vertical (the footprint for Vertical sucks in MN..much lower than Horizontal)

feed 1 went from 35 to a 58
feed 2 went from 50 to 65

now this is going from a 30" to a 37x27

Great results. I have that SC dish also but I need F1 and F2. I have also an old SC round 30" dish waiting.

How much do you pay in the US for a 1meter Winegard ? It's about US $150 here.
I was looking for a used 40" SC round dish. They once had that in the beginning, but I can't locate one.

I dont have a 1m dish....I have 2 76cm (one motorized..the other for SC), a 90cm and the 75e dish for SBS6

Compare the specs for 90cm and 1m Fortec dishes on Sadoun's website. You get about 2dB better gain with 1m.

90cm

1m

Last edited:
There are many factors to consider. For example, I have a 36" on my SG-2100 and a 1 meter Channel Master fixed-mounted aimed at G-10R. The 1 meter CM has a .9 db HIGH STABILITY LNB with matched feedhorn. The 36" has the Invacom quad polar LNB.

With both dishes aimed at G-10R one night, I climbed on the roof with my receiver and a portable TV. I switched back and fourth between the two dishes, and the quality was EXACTLY the same. So much the same, in fact, that I thought the DiSEqC switch wasn't working. But I verified that it was by blocking each dish with my hand when I switched to it. So my 36" with .3 Invacom was performing identically to my 1 meter with a .9 high stability Norsat on the same transponder.

Bottom line is that many factors determine your final signal quality.

let's see here... 90cm vs 100cm. Radius half of that.

Since pie are square, 90cm = 6361.72 sq cm surface area, 100cm = 7853.98 which works out to a 23.46% increased surface area so a similar increase in signal reflection.

Technically, it's not a circle, it's a parabolic or elliptical surface, but should be close.

I knew that minor in math would come in handy one day :)

This is a mismatch comparsion. When 1m dish is fixed with the lnbfs adjusted for proper skew, it's actually just a 90cm or even smaller than that. Reason is that the dish is not a perfect round shape. When you rotate the lnbf for the correct skew, it does not see the whole dish surface.
I bet if you put your 1m dish on the h-h mount, it will out perform your 36".
That's why you see most of the vsat dishes have dish skew so that the lnbf see the whole dish surface.
FtaRock

Tron said:
There are many factors to consider. For example, I have a 36" on my SG-2100 and a 1 meter Channel Master fixed-mounted aimed at G-10R. The 1 meter CM has a .9 db HIGH STABILITY LNB with matched feedhorn. The 36" has the Invacom quad polar LNB.

With both dishes aimed at G-10R one night, I climbed on the roof with my receiver and a portable TV. I switched back and fourth between the two dishes, and the quality was EXACTLY the same. So much the same, in fact, that I thought the DiSEqC switch wasn't working. But I verified that it was by blocking each dish with my hand when I switched to it. So my 36" with .3 Invacom was performing identically to my 1 meter with a .9 high stability Norsat on the same transponder.

Bottom line is that many factors determine your final signal quality.

Honestly, if I was choosing between the two, I'd go with the 1m. BUT.... I'd never lay out the cash to REPLACE a 90cm with a 1meter.....

But, that's just me...

a question...

Can put a *extra* to my 90 cm dish to make a 100 or 120 cm ???
how can recalculate the focus point???
thanks.

ElMero said:
Can put a *extra* to my 90 cm dish to make a 100 or 120 cm ???
how can recalculate the focus point???
thanks.

Have tried that in the past and have never had much luck!

ftarock said:
This is a mismatch comparsion. When 1m dish is fixed with the lnbfs adjusted for proper skew, it's actually just a 90cm or even smaller than that. Reason is that the dish is not a perfect round shape. When you rotate the lnbf for the correct skew, it does not see the whole dish surface.
I bet if you put your 1m dish on the h-h mount, it will out perform your 36".
That's why you see most of the vsat dishes have dish skew so that the lnbf see the whole dish surface.
FtaRock
This is an interesting point. I wonder if a skewable fixed AZ-EL mount is available for the 1M Channel Master...

Any tool?

Exist any program to input the size and deep and tell me where is the focal point ?
I try to recheck this point because have a 90cm x 100 cm homemade dish and can't look Hispasat or Amazonas , and the hispasat homepage tell me that size of 90 cm is the correct to see the bird .... my localtion is 86.28 E and 12.15N ...thanks for your time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts