difference between Dish1000 and Superdish121

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

HomerJ

Original poster
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
I am a total newbbie and have gotten some great info in my quest to finally get satalitte TV

I am a bit confused though with all this info.

Exactly what is the difference between the dish network 1000 and the superdish 121.

They look physically the same but pretty sure they are not getting the same programming.

Any help for this newbbie would be a great help.

Thanks

They point to different satellites. The Dish 1000 points to 110, 119, & 129. The superdish 121 points to 110, 119, & 121.

And by not pointing at 129, the SuperDish 121 will not be able to pick up a portion of Dish's HD programming. To get this, you'd need to install a 2nd dish along with your SuperDish. If you don't use HD, then you aren't missing out on anything right now.

They are shaped the same but the Dish1000 is smaller. 121 is an FSS satellite requiring a larger reflector while 129 is a DBS high frequency satellite requiring only a smaller reflector. The Dish1000 has a built in switch whereas the SuperDish does not. Some markets went from the SuperDish to the Dish1000.

The Dish1000 has a built in switch whereas the SuperDish does not.
No it doesn't. The DPPlus Twin LNB contains the switch - as long as you are only hooking up TWO receivers. Otherwise, you install a standard DP-Twin and a DP34 or DPP44.

That is what I meant, that the DPP has a built in switch. The SuperDish configuration has no built in switches at all but uses three individual lnbf's. It does not use a twin lnbf like a Dish500 or Dish1000 does. Not all three are connected together by a switch without having to hook up the 129 lnbf to the DPP twin. Most do not need more than two receivers.

The Superdish is a 30 inch oval dish that gets either 105 or 121 (FSS satellite) in addition to 110 and 119. The 105 and 121 satellite is required for locals in certain areas (see dishnetwork's web site to determine if you need a superdish for sat locals. Also the 121 sat has international channels. If you have a superdish and want to add Voom you'll need a wing dish at 61.5 or 129 and swap the DP34 for a DPP44 switch.

The dish1000 is a 24 inch round dish that get 129 sat (as well as 110 and 119). Mainly on 129 is Voom but also some locals. It rumored that 129 will have HD locals in the future. Those that live in the northeast portion of the US may not be able to receive 129 sat and therefore would need 61.5 for Voom. The northeast US footprint is east of Cleveland and north of Washington DC. All others may use the dish1000 as a one dish solution for Voom and all general programming.

HomerJ, what DMA are you in and what kind of programming are you wanting (Voom,Locals,International,etc.) Depending on the programming you want and the DMA that you are in is how Dish determines what satellite dish you need.

heighth x width - inches

The SuperDish is 21x 34 (plastic) 24 x 35 (metal)
The Dish 1000 is ?? x ??
The Dish 500 is 22 x 20.5
The Dish 300 / Single lnbf DirecTv dish is 19.5 x 18
The DirecTv Triple Eye Dish is 18 x 20.5

BrettTRay said:
HomerJ, what DMA are you in and what kind of programming are you wanting (Voom,Locals,International,etc.) Depending on the programming you want and the DMA that you are in is how Dish determines what satellite dish you need.

I am on the east coast and would like to be able to get international and hd if possible.

Thanks for all the info!

check on the Dish network website. I know that most internationals are offered on the 61.5 sat. There are a few that are only offered on a 121 superdish. If all you want is international and HD then you probably will only need a Dish 500 at 110/119 and a single dish at 61.5 but like I said check to make sure that the international channels you want are on 61.5

HomerJ said:
I am on the east coast and would like to be able to get international and hd if possible.

Thanks for all the info!
Didn't know "east coast" was a DMA.

No - I remember now - it's like 40 different ones! Big help. :rolleyes:

Homer what is your zip? That will be better than east coast. We will be able to help you better then. I assume you want us channels, HD and International. However you need to be a little more specific.

BrettTRay said:

I am just outside of Buffalo. Zip 14062

would like to have international and HD if possible. not sure if you can get hdtv and international both on Dish 1000 network

thanks

You need the 121 superdish and dish300 for 61.5. That would ensure all internationals and Voom HD plus of course all normal SD and HD channels.
The superdish would need a DPP44 (normally comes with DP34) switch in order to allow the wing dish to be added.

If there's a partular international channel you're interest in it's possible that the channel resides on 61.5 so in that case a dish500 (110/119) and dish300 (61.5) would be all that's needed. I believe a pair of DP21 switches would be need.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)