Difference between RF & IR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Definitely not all as I have tried it with some and no luck.

Can't say I have tried an R16 though.

That's not saying much, since you just found out in this thread that r15 could do both. But never will it do both if you enabled the RF through the menu of the r15. It has to be in IR mode, and never been put into RF mode through the menu for it to accept both. If the receiver were enabled through menu, you can still get it back to accepting both, first put it back into IR mode, then do red-button reset, when it comes back to live tv, it will now be in state like it was never in RF mode. Then just attach the antenna, then marry the remote via the following steps:

1. dtv, av1 or av2
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
3. enter 0 0 0 0 1

4. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
5. enter 9 6 1
6. press CH UP
7. enter the last 6 digits of the Receiver ID #, found on a sticker in the access card compartment
8. press SELECT

Last edited:
I am guessing that if you never put it in RF mode, you skip steps 1-3 and just do 4-8?

So, are we saying all r15's and r16's will do this?

Any other receivers?

I have been in some houses where the receivers were close enough that an RF remote from one room would effect on in another.

Then somebody did something VERY wrong then. I REGULARLY stack multiple receivers in the SAME room, & I NEVER, EVER, EVER have RF conflicts with the remotes! You DO realize that on BOTH E* & D* receivers, you assign discrete RF remote codes to each receiver, so this very thing does NOT happen.
On all the E* RF receivers, you CAN change from among 15 remote addresses (in BOTH RF & IR mode) - again, it is NOT rocket science & will fix that problem!

On all the D* receivers, when you enter the last 6 digits of the RID, it automatically does this for you.
And actually for that matter, if for some reason you need the D* receivers on IR (for 3-party remotes, etc.) you CAN also assign up to 8 discrete IR codes for multiple receivers as well. It's NOT a big deal - if you go into the advance remote setup menu on the D* receiver(s), it even tells you how to do it yourself!

Also, you ARE aware that you can even control 3 SEPARATE D* receivers, on the SAME D* RF or IR remote, by (also) using the AV1 & AV2 switch at the top. Again, if you go through the proper setup procedure, you will NOT have remote conflicts - period!

they understand it and not the tech tricks that we need to know to get by day to day.
If this was the installer forum, I might explain things differently.

(I'm kind of confused what you are trying to say here, but...)
Who cares - do YOU want to be able to give the customer what they are looking for or not?
YOU can now be the "expert" tech & the customer will appreciate it - sometimes it pays to know more than a "layperson"... ;)

I am guessing that if you never put it in RF mode, you skip steps 1-3 and just do 4-8?

YOU GOT IT!

No, he it saying most, but NOT all...

Any other receivers?

As I already told you, it ONLY applies to the R15 & R16 models.

Stick w/us on this board & you'll be surprised how much you can learn - & most of it pretty easy... :) :)
And Edmund IS the remote genius on this board!

Last edited:

Any other receivers?

If you're going from IR to RF, of course the directv device is already programmed with IR code from 00001-00008, which you'll need for the remote to accept the following RF directions. But devices AV1 or AV2 probably have never had those IR codes programmed to them, so you have to do it in those cases. And doing in all cases doesn't hurt a thing.

I know for sure it works on r15-500's and r15-300's, never owned r15-100. And yes it works on the R16's, all.

New to Direct last week. What remote do I need to mirror a H24 in RF? I have two HR24s and two H24s ,one of which I want to mirror to my kitchen. Thank you for the help.
Coach Mac

New to Direct last week. What remote do I need to mirror a H24 in RF? I have two HR24s and two H24s ,one of which I want to mirror to my kitchen. Thank you for the help.
Coach Mac

The HR24 remotes should be RF, you can tell if its RF by the FCC sticker on back. All 4 of you receivers are RF remote capable, but the H24 oem remotes are IR only. Each Rf remote can handle upto 3 RF receivers, each on devices Dtv, AV1 & AV2. Once the receivers are in RF mode, you can have infinite # of Rf remotes controlling them, to simply marry a new RF remote to receiver already in RF mode, just do the following on the new remote:

1. dtv, av1 or av2
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
3. enter 0 0 0 0 1

4. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
5. enter 9 6 1
6. press CH UP
7. enter the last 6 digits of the Receiver ID #, found on a sticker in the access card compartment
8. press SELECT

Then somebody did something VERY wrong then. I REGULARLY stack multiple receivers in the SAME room, & I NEVER, EVER, EVER have RF conflicts with the remotes! You DO realize that on BOTH E* & D* receivers, you assign discrete RF remote codes to each receiver, so this very thing does NOT happen.
On all the E* RF receivers, you CAN change from among 15 remote addresses (in BOTH RF & IR mode) - again, it is NOT rocket science & will fix that problem!

On all the D* receivers, when you enter the last 6 digits of the RID, it automatically does this for you.
And actually for that matter, if for some reason you need the D* receivers on IR (for 3-party remotes, etc.) you CAN also assign up to 8 discrete IR codes for multiple receivers as well. It's NOT a big deal - if you go into the advance remote setup menu on the D* receiver(s), it even tells you how to do it yourself!

Also, you ARE aware that you can even control 3 SEPARATE D* receivers, on the SAME D* RF or IR remote, by (also) using the AV1 & AV2 switch at the top. Again, if you go through the proper setup procedure, you will NOT have remote conflicts - period!

(I'm kind of confused what you are trying to say here, but...)
Who cares - do YOU want to be able to give the customer what they are looking for or not?
YOU can now be the "expert" tech & the customer will appreciate it - sometimes it pays to know more than a "layperson"... ;)

YOU GOT IT!

No, he it saying most, but NOT all...

As I already told you, it ONLY applies to the R15 & R16 models.

Stick w/us on this board & you'll be surprised how much you can learn - & most of it pretty easy... :) :)
And Edmund IS the remote genius on this board!

Well put. :)

I meant IR, my bad.

I got what you said but obviously you don't get what I was trying to say.

What I was trying to say is that I have seen were to IR receivers in close proximity were effected by the other IR remote.
This is why I would understand why somebody would want to remove the IR capabilities when setting up RF.
I am soooooooo sorry that my typo confused you so much and you now have my deepest and sincerest apologies.
So now can you move past it instead of throwing out insults and chasing me around the forum like a 5 year old over this issue?

And to answer your question, long enough that I am the trainer for my company and that everyone usually calls me for trouble shooting.
Do I know everything? Hell no, but I highly doubt you do either.

I am sure you will have some stupid smart ass comment to say about that too, but whatever.

I got what you said but obviously you don't get what I was trying to say.

You don't either - as I'll explain...

What I was trying to say is that I have seen were to IR receivers in close proximity were effected by the other IR remote.
This is why I would understand why somebody would want to remove the IR capabilities when setting up RF.

Uh OK - and what DO you do when the receivers are all IR ONLY capability??? Obviously you cannot remove IR capabilities on a IR only receiver.
On the E* receivers, when you change the remote addresses, it changes BOTH the IR & RF at the same time. So again, what WOULD be the point of removing IR? If E* can do this all these years, there is NO reason why D* couldn't have done the same - that was my point.
I've never, ever, heard of anyone complaining that the IR should be disabled on E* RF receivers - because it is NOT necessary.
Also (again), you CAN simply change the IR codes as well to simply solve that problem of IR conflicts.

So now can you move past it instead of throwing out insults and chasing me around the forum like a 5 year old over this issue?

Oh, I thought it was the other way around - I assure you, I'm done...

And to answer your question, long enough that I am the trainer for my company and that everyone usually calls me for trouble shooting.

Well knowing the turnover in the DBS install world, that could mean as little as one YEAR!
How long HAVE you actually done work "in the trenches" then?

Hell no, but I highly doubt you do either.

Probably, but I'll still put my WELL over 25+ years experience in the BUD's & CATV work against certain newbies any day.
If you don't already understand the time/experience thing, then I guess there's not much else to say.

I am sure you will have some stupid smart ass comment to say about that too, but whatever.

As I'm sure you will to - rest assured, I'm out of here on this one...I've got WAY better things to do :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)