Difference in receivers?

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I'm looking to buy a dual tuner DVR for SD programming and I'm not sure what is the best option. I've been looking on Ebay and they list a 625 and a 522 receiver. What's the difference in these receivers. Does anyone recommend something different? I want to use in my master bedroom and also my daughters room. I don't need a lot of space for recording.

625 replaced the 522; it has a bigger hd to make up for the space that dish reserves for "video on demand"

I'm looking to buy a dual tuner DVR for SD programming and I'm not sure what is the best option. I've been looking on Ebay and they list a 625 and a 522 receiver. What's the difference in these receivers. Does anyone recommend something different? I want to use in my master bedroom and also my daughters room. I don't need a lot of space for recording.

The #625 is a good sd receiver with 2 tuners and recording.
I have one along with other models and think it is great.
I would be wary of Ebay purchasing of this item.
I have purchased from The Dishstore who is a sponsor on this forum and would recommend them.

The #625 is a good sd receiver with 2 tuners and recording.
I have one along with other models and think it is great.
I would be wary of Ebay purchasing of this item.
I have purchased from The Dishstore who is a sponsor on this forum and would recommend them.

I appreciate the info, but that's really more than I want to pay. I would like to find the cheapest dual tuner DVR that's available because they really won't be used all that much. The one in the master bedroom will only be watched a few minutes before bedtime each night and my daughter only needs it for some cartoons (she's only 5). Any recommendations?

I appreciate the info, but that's really more than I want to pay. I would like to find the cheapest dual tuner DVR that's available because they really won't be used all that much. The one in the master bedroom will only be watched a few minutes before bedtime each night and my daughter only needs it for some cartoons (she's only 5). Any recommendations?

If you are buying and hearing what you need, then two #311 receivers at about $99. each without recording abilities may work best for you. I also have #311 receivers and they are great also.

If you are buying and hearing what you need, then two #311 receivers at about $99. each without recording abilities may work best for you. I also have #311 receivers and they are great also.

I thought about that but I like to occasionally record some Disney shows for my daughter to watch at a later date and I would like to avoid paying an extra fee every month for 2 receivers. Yeah, I know I'm cheap.

I thought about that but I like to occasionally record some Disney shows for my daughter to watch at a later date and I would like to avoid paying an extra fee every month for 2 receivers. Yeah, I know I'm cheap.

:eureka So keep her up a little later. That's even cheaper. :D

522 and 625 same thing except 625 has Video On Demand where you can purchase pay per view movies from a DVR Events / My Recordings screen.

721 has no DVR fees and no additional outlet fees if there is no phone line connected and has dual tuners but only one tv output and no name based recording. The EPG is faster though than the 522 / 625.

So that you can watch one live show while another one is recording AND so that you can record two shows at the same time. You also have a PiP (Picture In Picture) function even if your television does not have the feature - you use it through the satellite receiver.

I find the dual tuners handy in that you can put it on one channel such as headline news then press swap and watch another channel live or a previously recorded show and when you choose to do so, swap back to the other tuner to resume the show or news so that you can skip the commercials. By the time your done with that you have the other show on the other tuner to do the same thing with.

By the way, you can watch a previously recorded show while two shows are recording at the same time.

Yes, it sounds like you want a 721, if you can find one. I have one (& a 508 & a ViP622). I love it. But I'm on #6. They aren't that reliable. Get the home protection plan and be happy. It will probably be phased out in 2009 or 2010 when all programming moves to MPEG-4. The 721 does not do MPEG-4 or 8PSK.

For your purposes, the 721 would be a good fit. And if you don't get the protection plan, they might offer you a replacement when/if it fails for only $100.

Actually, the 721 will not work. I need 2 TV outputs for 2 different TV's. I think maybe the 625 or the 522 will be what I need. I guess which ever one I can find the better deal on. Thanks for the info.

correct, just get whichever one you can get a better deal on. They work the same except for the 625 is setup for VOD, which you don't need for what you are wanting to do.

My advice is to look for a 522. Slightly cheaper than the 625 on ebay. Look for new units only. Most of the used units are leases. You won't be able to activate it if it was a leased unit. If you do decide to purchase a used one, verify the R00 and S00 #'s with Dish before you buy. Hope this helps.

You might consider a 322, it will run two sets but is not a DVR. If you would not record much it might be better to go with a vcr or dvd burner because there is a DVR fee on all current models.

If you only have a 322 and a phone connected I don't think there are any charges beyond the program package you select.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts