different dishes -- what are the differences?

wra

Original poster
Nov 20, 2005
I've been attached to my existing Dish 500 satellite dish just after the dual LNBs came out (I think about 7+ or so years?).

Just bought a new receiver (510 DVR? -- there are NO markings on the receiver) and replaced one of the receivers on the satellite dish. I called DISH and let them know I was adding a third receiver, cause I planned to put the old receiver in our cabin.

The old receiver is now at the cabin, but doesn't see the same programming. Switch Test didn't change anything. The new satellite dish comes up "Dish Pro" -- does that mean anything? Why, should the same receiver, on the same account, but a different satellite dish, go from the 150+ movies programming to what looks like a basic programming?

(I'd call up Dish, but there's no way I can check anything until I drive 3+ hours to the cabin. If I call them from there, it'll be 3+ hours drive back to be sure the first two receivers are OK.)

wra said:
I've been attached to my existing Dish 500 satellite dish just after the dual LNBs came out (I think about 7+ or so years?).

Just bought a new receiver (510 DVR? -- there are NO markings on the receiver) and replaced one of the receivers on the satellite dish. I called DISH and let them know I was adding a third receiver, cause I planned to put the old receiver in our cabin.

The old receiver is now at the cabin, but doesn't see the same programming. Switch Test didn't change anything. The new satellite dish comes up "Dish Pro" -- does that mean anything? Why, should the same receiver, on the same account, but a different satellite dish, go from the 150+ movies programming to what looks like a basic programming?

(I'd call up Dish, but there's no way I can check anything until I drive 3+ hours to the cabin. If I call them from there, it'll be 3+ hours drive back to be sure the first two receivers are OK.)

First of all, it is against DISH's rules to have receivers on the same account at different locations. DISH requires separate subscriptions for separate locations. (Many people argue that this is unfair...and if it's only temporary...yada yada yada...but that doesn't change DISH's rules. The rules are what they are.) If you told them you plan to move one receiver to a different address (not a smart thing to do), they may have shut it off. You didn't say what channels the receiver actually gets so it's hard to tell.

Also, there is no more "150" package. The packages are AT60, AT120, AT180, and America's Everything Pak.

Your receiver is too old for the newer Dish Pro LNBF eqioment that is mounted on the Dish500 nowadays. I don't think it is compatible with your old receiver. You either need to get a newer receiver, or a couple of the older Legacy Dual LNB's in oreder to be compatible.

chaddux said:
First of all, it is against DISH's rules to have receivers on the same account at different locations. DISH requires separate subscriptions for separate locations. (Many people argue that this is unfair...and if it's only temporary...yada yada yada...but that doesn't change DISH's rules. The rules are what they are.) If you told them you plan to move one receiver to a different address (not a smart thing to do), they may have shut it off. You didn't say what channels the receiver actually gets so it's hard to tell.

Also, there is no more "150" package. The packages are AT60, AT120, AT180, and America's Everything Pak.

Well, this receiver moves back and forth. We don't use the cabin all the time, and we have a very basic receiver upstairs that sometimes gets swapped out... Then there's the time we're at "address unknown" while boondocking in the trailer. Didn't think I'd have to explain all that...

What I originally bought was the 150. Haven't got a clue what they changed me to when the 150 went away. Again, how's that related to a hardware question?

wra said:
Well, this receiver moves back and forth. We don't use the cabin all the time, and we have a very basic receiver upstairs that sometimes gets swapped out... Then there's the time we're at "address unknown" while boondocking in the trailer. Didn't think I'd have to explain all that...

What I originally bought was the 150. Haven't got a clue what they changed me to when the 150 went away. Again, how's that related to a hardware question?

I was just informing you that the packages had changed since you seemed to be unaware. The point remains: you may have a problem because you told DISH that you were moving a receiver to a different address. It may or may not be a hardware problem. Does that receiver see channels like 101 or channels with actual programming like CNN?

different locations?

It was mentioned that you cannot have different receivers at different locations? Is this true for rv's? the only reason i switched to dish was becasue of having it for my RV (it will only be hooked up in the spring) Would I have to sign another 2 year agreement, and pay for two different service packages? I only use the RV from May- sept. Alot of people at the RV park have Satellite service..but it is mostly direct TV, not dish

illusion123a said:
It was mentioned that you cannot have different receivers at different locations? Is this true for rv's? the only reason i switched to dish was becasue of having it for my RV (it will only be hooked up in the spring) Would I have to sign another 2 year agreement, and pay for two different service packages? I only use the RV from May- sept. Alot of people at the RV park have Satellite service..but it is mostly direct TV, not dish

RV exemptions are an entirely different thing.

chaddux said:
RV exemptions are an entirely different thing.

This is the same receiver I will move to my RV (though I gave up a while ago searching for an old single-LNB dish). There are a total of four properties involved, one of which is an RV club membership. DISH didn't complain when they added the fees for a third receiver to my account.

Didn't notice I'm missing CNN, cause I don't watch it. I noticed DISC and TLC were gone, along with BOOM (for the kids) and some others, so I figure I have "basic".

Net-net is I it looks like I need to find an old dual-LNB (non-DISHPRO) switch. Thanks, ralfyguy, for the clue. If I were to upgrade my original dish to DISHPRO, you think I'd loose all the programming on the other two receivers?

So how would I identify one of the old Dual-LNB switches? Aren't they all called SW21's?

wra said:
This is the same receiver I will move to my RV (though I gave up a while ago searching for an old single-LNB dish). There are a total of four properties involved, one of which is an RV club membership. DISH didn't complain when they added the fees for a third receiver to my account.

Didn't notice I'm missing CNN, cause I don't watch it. I noticed DISC and TLC were gone, along with BOOM (for the kids) and some others, so I figure I have "basic".

Net-net is I it looks like I need to find an old dual-LNB (non-DISHPRO) switch. Thanks, ralfyguy, for the clue. If I were to upgrade my original dish to DISHPRO, you think I'd loose all the programming on the other two receivers?

So how would I identify one of the old Dual-LNB switches? Aren't they all called SW21's?

Ok, so what channels does the receiver actually get?

chaddux said:
Ok, so what channels does the receiver actually get?

The receiver's 3+ hours away right now. Can't answer. Please see my post above about why I didn't bother to call DISH.

Guess I'll just have to put up with it. So it goes.

wra said:
The receiver's 3+ hours away right now. Can't answer. Please see my post above about why I didn't bother to call DISH.

Guess I'll just have to put up with it. So it goes.

I know it's three hours away but you could remember three channels that it DIDN'T get so I figured you could remember a channel or two that it DID get. Apparently not.

Dish Pro LNBs run on 18 volts Legacy(older) LNBs switch between 12 and 18 volts for polarity. If you are using Dish Pro LNBs at the camp half your channels are probably missing.

boba said:
Dish Pro LNBs run on 18 volts Legacy(older) LNBs switch between 12 and 18 volts for polarity. If you are using Dish Pro LNBs at the camp half your channels are probably missing.

I can't remember exactly but doesn't that problem mean he should be receiving channels from odd transponders or even transponders but not both? He's missing channels from both odd and even transponders and missing from both 110 and 119.

Original poster doesn't explicitly state what the Dish/LNB setup is at the cabin. It is possible that his home setup is a D500 and the cabin is only a D300 pointed at 110 or 119 instead of both. That would explain the missing channels.

jkinser said:
It is possible that his home setup is a D500 and the cabin is only a D300 pointed at 110 or 119 instead of both. That would explain the missing channels.

No, it wouldn't explain the missing channels. If you had read the ENTIRE thread, you'd already know that.

chaddux said:
He's missing channels... from both 110 and 119.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)