Different "networks" for 99 and 103?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PoitNarf

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 17, 2004
Northern NJ
I noticed when playing around with my H20 just after getting my AT9 install that there are 2 different "networks" on the signal strength screen for each the 99 and 103 locations. I'm guessing the other 2 sats to be launched will be parked close enough to Spaceway 1 & 2 that the LNBs on my AT9 will be able to receive them as well? I don't recall reading anything about this so any insight would be appreciated :)

Yes ,
99 and 103 are the locations for the new sat's actually the ones that are up there now, one is currently being used, you may or may not see a signal strength IF you do not have MPEG4 available in your area.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Jimbos said:
Yes ,
99 and 103 are the locations for teh new sat's actually the ones that are up there now, pne is currently being used, yiou may or may not see a signal strength IF you do not have MPEG4 available in your area.
You also need the AT-9 dish to get signals from those locations

Jimbo

I was actually refering to the 2 sats that have not left the ground yet. I believe they are Directv 10 and 11?

So if one of the new ones will replace 101, is that going to be broadcasting an MPEG2 as well as an MPEG4 signal?

charper1 said:
I read that at least 1 of the two (DirecTV10/11) will be replacing the current bird at 101w.

Um, no. DirecTV 10 and 11 are Ka sats. DirecTV 12S will be going to 101.

GeorgeLV said:

So if they are Ka sats then they'll need to be parked right next to 99 and 103 up there now so that the AT9 can receive them, right? That's why when checking the signal strengths on the H20 there is network 10 and 11 for the 99 sat location and 14 and 15 for the 103 sat location I'm assuming. I won't need to buy another Ka LNB extension arm that goes on the right side of the AT9 right? :rolleyes:

GeorgeLV said:

From here: although I think no onw will know 100% until an announced launch plan.

DirecTV Trumpets HDTV Ambitions Via Satellite Order With Boeing

DirecTV Group’s announcement of a billion-dollar, multi-satellite contract with Boeing Satellite Systems for large satellites to be launched for high-definition television (HDTV).

The agreement, announced by El Segundo, Calif.-based DirecTV, also removes months-long doubt about the future of the company’s $1.5 billion Spaceway broadband satellite project. News Corp. of Sydney, Australia, obtained Spaceway when it purchased DirecTV parent company Hughes Electronics Corp. earlier this year.

SNIP for size.... talked about News Corp stuff.....

Spaceway-3, part of the original Spaceway system, has not been modified for HDTV, Boeing spokeswoman Marta E. Newhart said Sept. 10. DirecTV spokesman Bob Marsocci said that the satellite will remain a ground spare.

Beyond Spaceway, DirecTV ordered three large 702-model Ka-band satellites from Boeing, all with a dual HDTV/broadband capacity; DirecTV 10 and DirecTV 11; the third will be a ground spare. Newhart said the contract for these spacecraft includes an option for a fourth satellite.

“For less than $1 billion we are going to create a national infrastructure that enables us to bring next-generation television into every American household,” DirecTV Chief Executive Officer Chase Carey told a Morgan Stanley investors.

Marsocci said Carey’s billion-dollar reference was based on an estimated price tag of $300 million each for the construction, launch and insurance of the DirecTV 10 and DirecTV 11 satellites, plus construction of the ground spare.

DirecTV’s announcement helps confirm the arrival of Ka-band as a commercial option for satellites. Up to now, the band has been little-used, making it ideal for high-bandwidth applications that would be more difficult to manage in the crowded Ku-band frequencies.

CEO Chase Carey said the decision to use Ka-band should quiet industry concern that DirecTV did not have enough satellite spectrum to offer local HDTV channels. DirecTV 10 and 11 each will be able to beam HDTV programming to 500 local markets from the company’s primary orbital slot at 101 degrees west longitude.

“The question of [orbital] capacity should be answered by what we announced with these satellites,” Carey said. “As opposed to others who compete with us, who have spectrum strewn across the sky, we’ve focused on accumulating a tremendous amount of Ka- and Ku-band spectrum at a point that enables us to bring all of this down to a single dish in the home.”

Last edited:
Ka Band Networks

Not Certain but I believe the "networks " are Ka-High and Ka-Low.
I'm getting an Acutrac III meter later this week and can report more but my reading suggests that the Ka low : 450-950 MHz ,frequencies are not yet in use.
If not this, then the Spaceway 1&2 /Directv 10&11 separation seems reasonable.

Doctor j

I hope it holds up better than the POS Accutrac II I have that i have been fighting with them to fix for 6 month under warranty.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts