different satellites

michael havens

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
yeI have a birdog. It can store 32 satellites on it. I was wanting to create different config files for it containing like satellites on it (like all galaxy, all AMC, etc.) So which are like satellites but not the same? For instance you look at a Galaxy 15 133 west and there are two versions, a CH and a CV. Then the 28 89 west also has two versions, that would be the UH and the UV. I would hazzard to guess that the differentversions is kinda like UHF/VHF but I don't know.
What are these "versions"?

One more thing.... am I correct in assuming 'west' means western hemisphere?

yeaaaaa 119W=119 W Latitude

Last edited:
what are you talking about? 133 only has one setup...C-band with V & H

So that is what the CH, CV, UH, UV,are, the setup? Could you possibly explain this to me? Is that maybe like if someone has a certain type of receiver you would opt for the satellite with a certain setup?

Ohhhhh:
CV Galaxy- 15 133
C = C- band
V = ???
Galaxy = Satellite name
15 = ??????
133 = logitude hovering over

what does K,B, C and U represent?
then what does V, H, L, and R represent.
I suppose that first position is the band. That would be C, B, U, and K. The second position, however, eludes my feeble brain. Then there is the lone BL (associated with the Connect TV 110) and the GTECH paired Gilat AMC4 and the Hughes AMC4. Are the BL, GTECH, and the gilat designation a special designation?

as for the galaxy satellite: according to http://www.birdog.tv/configure.aspx?page=3 there are two.... CV and CH.

<Copied off the page>
CV Galaxy- 15 133 West
CH Galaxy- 15 133 West

And then there was the gentleman who wanted me to leave it to the professionals..... how would become a professional if I didn't ask..... I'm quite sure many on this board don't know the answer to these questions.... I am asking for them as well.

Last edited:
what are you talking about? 133 only has one ssetup...C-band with V & H

So, that means that the CH Galaxy 15 133 west is a Galaxy satellite over 133 longitude broadcasting on the C band with horizontal....... with horizontal.... with horizontal....??????? things are starting to come into focus but what does the second position represent.... horizontal what?

I really do appreciate those who are helping me to learn rather than bite my head off for not knowing. Thanks.

You have either Linear or Circular polarities coming from the satellites. Subscription tv is circular for the most part and the rest of the satellites are linear for the most part.

Then you have Vertical or Horizontal wave forms on the linear satellites and Left or Right hand rotation wave forms on the circular satellites.

The LNB has to be setup to receive the orientation of the wave form you would like to receive.
Bob

so that would be two types of waves (linear/circular) with two motions each (vertical/horizontal and a left/right rotation)?

Ohhhhh... cool! And the LNB setup is in the receiver. I get that. And I assume all satellites have FTA transnsmissions. Therefore, if they do not specify a satellite I can point it at any bird and if they are not happy with it.... too bad.Iguess that they'll probably flip me the bird if that happens. Which satellite has the most FTA transmissions on it? Would someone direct me to a webpage that has a listing of each satellites FTA program guide.

Oh. And the people who buy a used ddish at a flea market with a round LNB can't get FTA? Or.... they can only get NASA and religious channels?

That's true they can only receive circular signals. But the physical shape of the LNB is not what matters - it is the internal design of the LNB that determines whether it will receive circular or linear signals.
Bob

Two questions:
1-
You mentioned some FTAs were circular.... are those only NASA and the religious. Are there others with what I would consider better programing?

2-
SO say someone contacts me who has one of the satellite dishes in question, and he wants me to point it at something that will give him normal programming. what would you recommend?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts