Differing Signal Strengths Tuner 1 & 2

rdinkel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Woodland Park, Colorado
One of my 612 HD DVRs has an issue with differing signal strengths between tuners 1 & 2. On a low-power spotbeam, tuner 2 displays a value of about 20, but tuner 1 won't stay locked with a value of about 10. I am trying to decide if it is a problem with the receiver or the separator. The other three DVRs (612, 622, and 722) are all showing about 20 on both of their tuners.

Have a new separator coming, so I plan to wait for that one before switching separators around between the other working DVRs. What do you think the odds are that it is the separator rather than a bad tuner in the 612? All four DVRs are being fed from same DPP44.

Reverse the separator and see what that gets you on signal strengths. (Sounds like your signal is low anyway...is that the "low end" of your signal strength readings?)

The signals alway fluctuate a little bit, you could have a bad end or wire on one side of the separator or it could be the separator itself. But your real problem is your signal strength is too low, you should have at least something around 50 if not higher.

Understand fully about the signal strength. This low signal is only on the spotbeam Dish turned on yesterday for Colorado Springs DMA. As I indicated even before the beam was activated, the beam pattern does not match my location. Next week I will be installing a 30" dedicated dish so I can receive the HD LiLs. FYI, the Denver beam gives me a reading of 66, but I am not in that DMA.

My question was on the separator or tuner--not the low overall signal. If you reverse the separator output lead, it blocks all signals--even those from strong TPs.

try taking this one receiver to the same spot as one thats working properly...and see what happens.

I had a problem with a 722 where tuner 1 wouldnt lock in all signals. so i took it to where my 311 was, wired it up and bam everything worked....

so i go back to the original location, traced the problem back to the SW44, turns out my 722 will only work when wired into port 4 of the switch....

Understand fully about the signal strength. This low signal is only on the spotbeam Dish turned on yesterday for Colorado Springs DMA. As I indicated even before the beam was activated, the beam pattern does not match my location. Next week I will be installing a 30" dedicated dish so I can receive the HD LiLs. FYI, the Denver beam gives me a reading of 66, but I am not in that DMA.

My question was on the separator or tuner--not the low overall signal. If you reverse the separator output lead, it blocks all signals--even those from strong TPs.

Sounds like the new separator will do it for you.

Have installed the new (much smaller) separator. It helps, but tuner 2 is still having issues on low signal inputs. Sometimes it even selects the wrong signal, but it "thinks" it has the correct one. First I will install my new 30" dish to get a stronger signal; if there still are issues, I will have Dish send me a replacement 612.

Sounds like a wiring issue to me. Bad fittings, barrels, wall plates diplexers etc., can cause a drop in signal for one tuner or the other. DishPro plus band stacks the signal between 950Mhz and 2250 Mhz One tuner gets the low stack, and one gets the high. A fitting that is attenuating either the high or low of that frequncy range, will effect your strengths. Badly kinked, damaged, or RG59 wiring can also cause this kind of issue.

Last edited:
Sounds like a wiring issue to me. Bad fittings, barrels, wall plates diplexers etc., can cause a drop in signal for one tuner or the other. DishPro plus band stacks the signal between 950Mhz and 2250 Mhz One tuner gets the low stack, and one gets the high. A fitting that is attenuating either the high or low of that frequncy range, will effect your strengths. Badly kinked, damaged, or RG59 wiring can also cause this kind of issue.

You were correct. The reduced signals to tuner 2 were being caused by two non-digital-rated barrels in wall plates. Even though our house was wired with RG6, wall plate barrels were standard analog types. I was able to replace one last night, and that cut the difference in half. Unfortunately, the second plate is out of reach behind the entertainment furniture and all that equipment. Will have to get to it later. Thanks, again!:up