OTHER Difficulty locking onto FTA signals on Galaxy-31 with small dish

Dataweasel

Original poster
Sep 24, 2023
Brainerd, MN
Hi all:

I have an upcoming project that will require working with data that NOAA is sending down on C-Band on Galaxy-31 (121.1W). I am still needing to order the C-Band dish but I have the receiver that NOAA suggests.

I decided to dig out an older KU dish that I have and just try to hit some of the FTA stuff on Galaxy-31 just for fun. I know it is now sitting in the retired location that used to be Galaxy-23 and a lot of the same channels jumped with it.

However...I'm just not having any luck. I'm located almost dead-center of Minnesota...in the Brainerd area. I am using a SatMaximum Single (SM 2010-01) LNB (In: 10.7-12.75 -- L.O. 9.75/10.6 GHz). This dish is just a simple "Winegard 76cm DS-2076". When I set up the dish it is pointed in the general area of 121.1W and the general elevation. On my GTMedia V8 Finder I can get a signal between 75 and 80 but the QUALITY is 30 (basically 0). Same on my cheap-o Dmyco Satellite receiver (signal around 80, Quality near 0). And I rarely, if ever, see a "Lock" onto the satellite.

Moving the dish slowly side-to-side and up-and-down really doesn't help. Rotating the LNB also does not affect the signal or quality. Again...the best I can do is 75 to 80 signal strength but basically no signal quality.

Is it just that my KU dish is too small for this far north? I know things are kind of crowded over there around 121W so am I just getting a bunch of satellites talking over each other causing the poor quality? Has anyone worked any of the FTA stuff on G-31. Was just going to order a 150cm C-band prime focus dish when the time to start the project came around, but now I'm wondering if I will need something bigger? Typically it's not this difficult to lock onto a KU band transponder. C-band is gonna be a bugger unless I'm just missing something.

Thanks.

Joe

Hi all:

I have an upcoming project that will require working with data that NOAA is sending down on C-Band on Galaxy-31 (121.1W). I am still needing to order the C-Band dish but I have the receiver that NOAA suggests.

I decided to dig out an older KU dish that I have and just try to hit some of the FTA stuff on Galaxy-31 just for fun. I know it is now sitting in the retired location that used to be Galaxy-23 and a lot of the same channels jumped with it.

However...I'm just not having any luck. I'm located almost dead-center of Minnesota...in the Brainerd area. I am using a SatMaximum Single (SM 2010-01) LNB (In: 10.7-12.75 -- L.O. 9.75/10.6 GHz). This dish is just a simple "Winegard 76cm DS-2076". When I set up the dish it is pointed in the general area of 121.1W and the general elevation. On my GTMedia V8 Finder I can get a signal between 75 and 80 but the QUALITY is 30 (basically 0). Same on my cheap-o Dmyco Satellite receiver (signal around 80, Quality near 0). And I rarely, if ever, see a "Lock" onto the satellite.

Moving the dish slowly side-to-side and up-and-down really doesn't help. Rotating the LNB also does not affect the signal or quality. Again...the best I can do is 75 to 80 signal strength but basically no signal quality.

Is it just that my KU dish is too small for this far north? I know things are kind of crowded over there around 121W so am I just getting a bunch of satellites talking over each other causing the poor quality? Has anyone worked any of the FTA stuff on G-31. Was just going to order a 150cm C-band prime focus dish when the time to start the project came around, but now I'm wondering if I will need something bigger? Typically it's not this difficult to lock onto a KU band transponder. C-band is gonna be a bugger unless I'm just missing something.

Thanks.

Joe

Welcome to Satellite Guys! Bigger is almost always better with satellite reception. While you are waiting for the c band dish that you chose to show up perhaps take a look at the following list.

76cm is small for ku but you may get a few of the strongest signals, perhaps 97w or 123W, maybe 103W. All you can do is try. :)