Difinitive Answer / Transferring Recordings to Hopper

EAGLES

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
I can't seem to find a solid answer on this. Every other Dish CSR has a different answer. I have not really been able to pin it down in the "Hopper Zone" either.
I'm Scheduled for a Hopper upgrade on Friday. 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys which will be replacing a 722 and a 622. I currently have an EHD hooked to my 622. I was told that I will be able to transfer all those recordings to the new hopper. Is this correct?
As I only have one EHD, I was going to transfer everything I wanted to save from my 622 where it is hooked up to now, and then physically hook it up to my 722 and do the same prior to the scheduled install. Will this work and will I be able to transfer that content to the hopper?
Also, with the hopper/joey set-up I'm describing, can all the hoppers and joeys "see" eachother as far as the ability to play recorded content from either hopper at any other location?
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated?

Yes you can take your 722 EHD and hook it up to the Hopper and view all those shows. :)

I havent tried in awhile but you can see all recordings on both Hoppers on all Hoppers and Joeys, However I dont know if EHD sharing is working between Hopper Networks.

Thanks so much Scott.
So there is no way to restore that content from the EHD back onto the hopper HD? I know that option exists with the 622.
Also, will Dish have to do some type of special authorization for the new hoppers to recognize the EHD? It's been so long since I got new equipment. I remember they had to do something like that when I originally hooked up my EHD. Back then I think it was receiver based, not account based.

Yes, you can restore the recordings from the ehd to a Hopper. Some people have reported problems with the restored recordings. I've done it with no problems. The new Hoppers will recognize the ehd. I had 2 different ehd's that had been hooked up to my 722 at different times. Right now each of them is hooked up to one of my 2 Hoppers.
You will be able to see what is on the internal HD's of each Hopper from any Joey or Hopper. You will not be able to see what is on the ehd of 1 Hopper from the other or from the unpaired Joey.

Great. Sounds like I have a plan. I'm really looking forward to the upgrade. Thanks.

I can attest that my 3000+ films and many more recordings on 11 or so drives of several brands work fine on my 2000.
I read that some have problems with protection when they changes plans. That seems mostly limited to Joey access.
Best, -Ken

P.S. I note that Tampa8 in another thread disputes any loss from plan change. It's a good thing that I still have some VOOM recordings but I haven't checked some channels I dropped. The most likely to go would be HBO. Hope not, -Ken

Last edited:
I was one of the ones who had issues transferring from my EHD (had 2 622s originally) to my Hopper. Several recordings transferred but when I tried to access them I could not. I had several Dish techs (even on this board) look into it and they never had an answer. The closest I came was that each receiver formats it a bit differently and that was why there was a problem but others with a similar setup did not have a problem (although several others did as well). Fortunately, I didn't lose anything that I couldn't replace but as one who was burned I would suggest proceeding cautiously.

PS that is really the only issue I have had and I have had a 2 Hopper/2Joey system from almost day 1 and really like it.

When I switched from 722k and 622 to 2 Hoppers, I moved all my programs to 3 different EHDs. I connected 2 EHDs to 1 Hopper and the 3rd to the other Hopper. All 3 work fine and I can view all programs from the EHDs. About 1 year ago I tried to move a few programs back to the Hoppers and lost all of them. I have stopped trying to move them back in fear of losing more. Others have said that Dish has fixed the problem. I just will not try it again. The only advantage to having the programs on a Hopper nternal drive is they are seeable by both Hoppers.

When I switched from 722k and 622 to 2 Hoppers, I moved all my programs to 3 different EHDs. I connected 2 EHDs to 1 Hopper and the 3rd to the other Hopper. All 3 work fine and I can view all programs from the EHDs. About 1 year ago I tried to move a few programs back to the Hoppers and lost all of them. I have stopped trying to move them back in fear of losing more. Others have said that Dish has fixed the problem. I just will not try it again. The only advantage to having the programs on a Hopper nternal drive is they are seeable by both Hoppers.

So I guess you can't see the connected EHD from the other hopper/joeys?

When I got my Hoppers I moved everything off my 722K to EHD, then from EHD to Hopper. It did seem to work OK but I filled one Hopper very quickly and now have an issue moving stuff off Hooper to EHD because I can only see about 25% of what is on the Hopper in the transfer screen. That prevents me from moving the stuff I want to the EHD.

When I got my Hoppers I moved everything off my 722K to EHD, then from EHD to Hopper. It did seem to work OK but I filled one Hopper very quickly and now have an issue moving stuff off Hooper to EHD because I can only see about 25% of what is on the Hopper in the transfer screen. That prevents me from moving the stuff I want to the EHD.

I'm confused. What happen to the other 75% and why can't you move it? Did this 75% become currupted or lost?

What is currently happening is the transfer screen will only show part of what is there once you get over X number of recordings so if the ones you would like to transfer are past that point you are not able to choose and transfer until you transfer enough. You can still view them

Sent from my DROIDX

I can attest that my 3000+ films and many more recordings on 11 or so drives of several brands work fine on my 2000.
I read that some have problems with protection when they changes plans. That seems mostly limited to Joey access.
Best, -Ken

P.S. I note that Tampa8 in another thread disputes any loss from plan change. It's a good thing that I still have some VOOM recordings but I haven't checked some channels I dropped. The most likely to go would be HBO. Hope not, -Ken

I sure do! Lol. I'm sure there are several others who have had Dish from at or very near their beginning, and can tell you never have you been unable to see recordings from channels you do not subscribe to. I have plenty of movies and some shows even from dropped by Dish or freeview channels. When the Hopper first came out there were many - but not all - who could not watch shows from channels they no longer get. The Urban Rumor started, and was enhanced when DIRT was told that copyright was the reason. Bad information given to DIRT, not their fault. But as I strongly said then, just wait it's a bug and of course now generally everyone can again watch those recordings on the Hopper. This has just cropped up again it seems, and is a glitch with just Joeys as you point out. Not sure how wide spread it is.

A couple days ago, I was transferring some recordings that had change IMDb rating from one EHD to another. (BTW a bad idea to use ratings or anything that changes with time.) It was down to the last 2 to go to the internal, and it indicated a failure. I looked and it was neither on the (from) EHD nor the (to) internal. After a reboot the first of those was still missing and remains so. The second was retrieved. So it is possible for the system to "eat" a recording. I have not seen this before. It was only a lower rated SD and may never get looked at but some are hard to come by.

-Ken

I have a pair of 622 VIP DVRs, just replaced them with a Hopper. I have an EHD on each, but rarely used them. I was going to transfer the programming off the DVRs but I get a message saying I am not authorized to do that. I can hook the EHD to the Hopper OK. It sounds like this is something I should have done BEFORE the Hopper was installed. I suppose I can take the drives out of the 622 to put them in EHD enclosures, but that sounds like a very bad idea. (I did pay $40 years ago to be able to attach the EHD to the 622s but I guess you have to be connected to the satellite dish in order for the authorization to be remembered?)

Your Hoppers need a "hit" to make this work right. DO NOT take the internal disks out of the 622's. They will NOT WORK in an external enclosure as an EHD.

Edited to add: Maybe I didn't understand what you are saying. Did you transfer programs to the EHDs before you took the 622s off your account? If not, the 622's have been deauthorized and won't let you transfer any more programs to those EHDs.

Update on my install: All went well. I was very pleased that a Dish tech came as opposed to a sub-contractor. I've had a couple of bad expieriences with the subs. Anyway, I was able to successfully transfer the recordings from my EHD to my hoppers. I had no problems switching Back and forth between hoppers with the EHD. I ended up leaving a good amount of programming on the EHD and just hooked it up to the hopper where it will be watched. It does take a long time to transfer and I figured I would just save the HD space. Thanks everyone for your help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)