Digicipher consideration

Status
Please reply by conversation.

techno935

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Pompano Beach, FL
Need to know a few ins/outs of the whole world of Digicipher. Is this a form of reception? or a form or encryption? I'm considering purchasing of a 4DTV unit and considering slaving to my Coolsat 4000. Any input is appreciated.

"DigiCipher II (DCII) is a Motorola proprietary digital video distribution system.

DigiCipher II provides compression, encryption, and authorization.

DigiCipher II compression is based upon MPEG-2.

DigiCipher II is utilized for some TVRO transmissions. A Motorola 4DTV satellite receiver is required to decode DigiCipher II TVRO channels.

DigiCipher II utilizes AC3 audio encoding."

You can't get it with a DVB receiver

More reading here..........

http://www.coolstf.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DigiCipher_2

Last edited:
OK, cause from what I see on Lyngsat, there are DCII (Digicipher 2) channels that are shown as "in the clear" so, I assume I can receive these with a DSR922 or similar Motorola receiver. Am I right?

techno935 said:
OK, cause from what I see on Lyngsat, there are DCII (Digicipher 2) channels that are shown as "in the clear" so, I assume I can receive these with a DSR922 or similar Motorola receiver. Am I right?

It depends. We discussed this in another thread not long ago. Anyway, it depends on whether your receiver is authorized or not and what mode the so called "free" channels are in. Also some of the info on lyngsat may not be up to date or accurate. Also there are some different kinds of DCII signals and some of them a 4dtv unit cannot tune.

techno935 said:
Only if the 4dtv receiver has been authorized at some point. In other words, if you get a brand new 4dtv, it will have to be authorized before it will work. On the other hand, if you get a previously owned 4dtv, it most likely has been authorized before, so it should work.

Al

And don't forget that you'll need to hit G1-3 (C-Band) to pull down the maps or authorize an unauthorized receiver. You also need to hit this sat/transponder to pull down the guide data. The receiver is kind of annoying w/o the guide.

When I had my 4DTV there was plenty on aside from the movie channels I had subbed to! I don't think a 4DTV slaved to a Ku only DVB box would be very cost effective unless you get a SMOKING deal on the 4DTV.

Ku only on a 4DTV spooks me. It's pretty easy to TDT overflow the box if you spend any time on or passing the Anik birds on Ku. The 'fix' for this is a master reset which would require a re-hit (aka re-authorization).

If you find a good deal on the box (Under $300), it's worth a shot. You'll probably get your money out of re-selling it if it doesn't work out.

TDT is the 'Transponder Data Table'.

The problem is that Starchoice also uses DCII and if your 4DTV locks on one of their satellites it will pull down the maps from of of their sats which maxes out the TDT count. When this haoens the 4DTV will start doing strange things - like forgetting satellite positions, can't store new positions, and I think even problems getting the guide.

As odd as it sounds, this is MUCH more common than you'd think.

A Master Reset is the fix for it (resets the box so it's like you just took it new out of the box).

Last edited:
Also, the manual tune option on the 922 is fairly useless so in order to get many of the clear channels that are not already mapped you might have to opt for using generics which can be an additional headache.

SD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)