Digital audio

breathe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
If i use an optical cable to the back of my surround sound, which tuner will put out the signal (or can i choose?)

Also, the installer was lazy so he put the tuner in the bedroom on tv1, the main tv (and surround sound) are located in the living room on tv2, about 30 feet away, do they make optical cables this long?

You're probably better off moving the receiver to the living room.

What kind of aggravation would it be to run dual coax from where it is to the LR? You can then use the existing feed to run the bedroom as TV2 from the LR.

And that installer should be slapped upside the head. :(

SimpleSimon said:
You're probably better off moving the receiver to the living room.

What kind of aggravation would it be to run dual coax from where it is to the LR? You can then use the existing feed to run the bedroom as TV2 from the LR.

And that installer should be slapped upside the head. :(
id probably have to run it either along the floor about 30 feet or along the ceiling. That is why i was thinking a single optical cable would be smaller and easier

If you can't find one that long, they do make "repeaters", which act like extenders. I think radioshack has them. Either that, or see if it's easier to physically move the reciever to the living room...

I had the same thing happen to me. After trying to figure out what to do, how to hook up the surrond sound etc. I called E* got them to reinstall it the way I want and a month free of HBO. You have to be assertive but You can get it fix. If neccessary talk to a supervisor, don't take no for an answer. ( my daughters a csr, she taught me well :) )

Let me guess, it was "easier" for the installer to put the receiver in the bedroom ?? I would make them "fix" it by putting the receiver where YOU want it, not where it's easiest for them.

Aside from that, the Fiber optic cable needed for this is very expensive. I know what I paid for mine and it's only 6' long. I'd hate to imagine what that would cost being 30' long. If it's a case of a lazy installer, then yeah, be assertive and get them to set it up right.

hall said:
Let me guess, it was "easier" for the installer to put the receiver in the bedroom ?? I would make them "fix" it by putting the receiver where YOU want it, not where it's easiest for them.

that is exactly the reasoning, and i wasnt there to supervise, my girlfriend was...so it was put where he thought most convenient. What i have done for the time being is run RCAs from the monitor out of the TV to the surround sound....it sounds alright at best. i found about 20-30 feet of optical cable on the net for like $30, i might just go that way, as the receiver being in the bedroom saves space in the already over crowded entertainment center.

Anyway, for you guys that do optical all the time, i have only 1 optical input on the surround sound, and i have my xbox connected up to it. are there any cheap devices that will turn this into two inputs (only one going at a time of course)

are there any cheap devices that will turn this into two inputs (only one going at a time of course)

RECOTON Digital Optical Selector Switch

I believe it's in the neighborhood of $20 - $40 and you may be able to find it at RatShack or partsexpress.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)