Digital converter box keeps adding channels

TimandPatti

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Texas
My zip code is 75020
Last night it added 6 more. We have about 30 channels with O signal, most located in Oklahoma City. It would be Nice to get some of them but I know it's not possible. One night a few weeks ago I was able to get one of them and some had some great shows but lost the signal after about an hour.
We don't have an amp or rotator but my husband said he thinks we could get some of them if he added those things. I told him to save his money.

What we can get is
Kxii offers Fox, MYTV, CBS

Kten offers NBC, CW

One of the channels I got that one night was ABC. (we don't have that here)
Maybe someday we'll get ABC and RTN but I won't hold my breath.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=618af2d034393c

Last edited:
I thought in May that you posted you were getting WFAA solidly. Pointing South, Southwest you should be able to pick up Dallas and CH26(10-1-3) should come off the back side and CH12 should come in anywhere. I've found CH8 post transition is stronger. I am getting 88-90% on a DTV PAL at 4pm. on 8-1. If my memory is correct you ended up with a Winegard HD8200U antenna.

I thought in May that you posted you were getting WFAA solidly. Pointing South, Southwest you should be able to pick up Dallas and CH26(10-1-3) should come off the back side and CH12 should come in anywhere. I've found CH8 post transition is stronger. I am getting 88-90% on a DTV PAL at 4pm. on 8-1. If my memory is correct you ended up with a Winegard HD8200U antenna.

Yes we were getting Dallas but then it just vanished off the channels and won't pick it now.
Of course we had some bad wind a while back and it bent the mast slightly so the antenna is tilted down in the front a tad. Maybe that is why we lost Dallas.
Right now my husband is trying to figure out what to use as a mast that won't bend like this one did.

Welcome to the new world of digital TV. Weak signals may at times become strong enough to see and then not. The nature of the digital signal is just strong enough and you have a perfect signal or it's a tiny bit weaker and you have nothing. At the signal level drop off point (cliff), you may see blocks of data but not a complete picture. Troubleshooting a weak digital signal without test equipment is nearly impossible.

What kind of converter box do you have? I've got a DTV Pal plus that does the same thing and I would prefer to have it not look for and add new channels everytime I turn it on. It says it's retrieving the guide data but then comes up and says it has found new channels. I haven't checked the manual yet but if there is a way to turn it off I will do it. All I want are the major networks plus four pbs stations - no interest in the other 20 or so that we can get.

What kind of converter box do you have? I've got a DTV Pal plus that does the same thing and I would prefer to have it not look for and add new channels everytime I turn it on. It says it's retrieving the guide data but then comes up and says it has found new channels. I haven't checked the manual yet but if there is a way to turn it off I will do it. All I want are the major networks plus four pbs stations - no interest in the other 20 or so that we can get.

We have the DTV Pal from Dish too. The digital TV in the bedroom never shows any extra channels, just Kten and Kxii.

I would love it if Kxii or Kten would add RTN and if we could get ABC and at least one PBS.

There is no room to add any more subchannels without sacrificing the HD channel entirely. With KTEN carry NBC HD and the CW and weather radar in SD. KXII with CBS HD and FOX HD and MYNet SD.

If you were getting WFAA before, have you rescanned your box since the June shutoff. I haven't looked it up but didn't WFAA switch their digital back over to their analog channel number after the analog shutoff, which will require you to rescan to pick up the new frequency.

There is no room to add any more subchannels without sacrificing the HD channel entirely. With KTEN carry NBC HD and the CW and weather radar in SD. KXII with CBS HD and FOX HD and MYNet SD.

If you were getting WFAA before, have you rescanned your box since the June shutoff. I haven't looked it up but didn't WFAA switch their digital back over to their analog channel number after the analog shutoff, which will require you to rescan to pick up the new frequency.

Yes I scanned several times.

No, we have tried pointing the antenna towards Dallas and Ok. but it doesn't pick up anything but Kten and Kxii now.

Nothing has changed on our end. We could get them but it was so brief then they just vanished. We scanned for channels almost everyday since we lost them.
My husband is considering raising the antenna higher and adding an amp..

I put up a Winegard GS2000 bat wing in Gunter right off HWY 289 just about at roof peak say 15 ft. above ground. It is pointed toward CH10 if you can call one side the front(side opposite mounting bracket). Not perfect but with reception from front and back I was able to get Ch. 4/5/8/10/11/12/21/23/27&29 that is about 20 digital channels and I am probably missing as many by using the back side for Dallas. Results were surprising for that little antenna. According to TV Fool Ch8 is 61 miles away getting 64% on DISH DTV PAL.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)