Digital local channels (not HD)

sbsi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
Will the digital local channels (channels like 2.2, 4.2, 5.6) ever get added onto Dish Network? Not referring to the HD channels, some digital channels contain a 24 hr local weather channel.

I can't get any OTA with a TV antenna. I cannot believe the tv provide I dislike (cable) has already been adding these.

Last edited:
I believe the digital versions will replace the analog ones which Dish is supplying now. If you are referring to subchannels on ota, they have to be designated as 'Must Carry' or part of the contract before Dish has to carry them. You may want to contact the local station(s) in question to answer your question.

Yeah, our local ABC affiliate announced this week that they've signed up with the CW to broadcast their programming on the .2 channel. Yes, you read that right, up until now, we have not had a CW affiliate in our area. Nearly TWO years of waiting for that channel. Thank God for Dish's superstations package, it was the only way I was able to get the CW.

The station that's going to carry the CW here said also that they are going to treat it as a "must carry" channel, so with any luck, sometime in the next 10 years, Dish should actually get around to adding it to our local channels.

I can't get any OTA with a TV antenna. I cannot believe the tv provide I dislike (cable) has already been adding these.

A basic cable subscription is a great supplement to DISH, IMO. It costs me under $7 a month, and I get all the local networks in HD including the CW. Also get the subchannels, and other peoples VOD. Pretty great deal for $7.

I wish it interfaced with my 722 though. It would be nice to be able to record them easily.

DISH doesn't even carry my locals in SD though, so it's easy to justify having the cable for locals. Plus, it saves me more on my broadband connection than it costs.

The only subchannels added right now have been ones attached to major networks (yes there are a few spots where Fox is on a subchannel).

I wish Dish would add some subchannels too. Duluth, MN has a My on -2 (and CW on -2 also) but the My Network shows the MN state high school tourneys and Duluth is shut out of it.

I believe the digital versions will replace the analog ones which Dish is supplying now. If you are referring to subchannels on ota, they have to be designated as 'Must Carry' or part of the contract before Dish has to carry them. You may want to contact the local station(s) in question to answer your question.

I would guess that DISH is simply not interested in carrying them because of bandwidth isues.

Dish carries some sub channels. They carry one here. The local Telemundo is a sub channel on the ABC digital. Dish has it (in standard def) in the locals package, it is not OTA in analog just the digital subchannel. They carry them if they agree to do so when they negotiate with a major network.

Direct always get all the locals added first. There are some locals on cable and Direct still not on Dish. But, I prefer Dish Netork. Hopefully, in 2009, something will be added.

A basic cable subscription is a great supplement to DISH, IMO. It costs me under $7 a month, and I get all the local networks in HD including the CW. Also get the subchannels, and other peoples VOD. Pretty great deal for $7.

I wish it interfaced with my 722 though. It would be nice to be able to record them easily.

DISH doesn't even carry my locals in SD though, so it's easy to justify having the cable for locals. Plus, it saves me more on my broadband connection than it costs.

I've been thinking about approacing TWC and asking about a "lifeline cable" plus internet package (which they don't advertise, of course). I assume that for $7/mo, that's what you're talking about here, not basic cable. What cableco are you with? Anybody else doing this?

Brad

I've been thinking about approacing TWC and asking about a "lifeline cable" plus internet package (which they don't advertise, of course). I assume that for $7/mo, that's what you're talking about here, not basic cable. What cableco are you with? Anybody else doing this?

Brad

I'm on Comcast, and they do call it "Basic" cable here. The next step up used to be called "Expanded Basic", but they've renamed it to "Standard". Never was anything called "Lifeline" here, AFAIK. Semantics, I know.

An added bonus is they simulcast all the analog channels in digital. So even the SD channels I receive are via clear QAM. My latest channel scan found 89 channels, but around 40 of those are reserved for On Demand. Several others are shopping and promo channels. I'd guesstimate around 25 of them are actually worth watching, and many of those are network duplicates. Still, not bad for the price.

Thanks, JayStil, I'll look into that. I swore I'd never give TWC another penny of my money, but I can't get DSL where I am and I'm getting VERY tired of dial-up!

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)