Please reply by conversation.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Got a quick question I was asked about and didn't know for sure.

I know that ALL of D*'s channels are digital.
I have a HR20-700 a H20-100 and also wondering about a RCA 435.
The D* signal IS digital, I run the OTA antenna into the D& rec's.

Are the OTA tuners in these boxes also digital ?

Does the D* processing happen after the OTA signal, so EVERYTHING leaving the rec. is digital, or just the sat programming ?

Jimbo

I believe the OTA in the RCA box is just a pass-through. You don't need the box on as the OTA channels don't come through the guide.

I think the only box you will find digital OTA tuners in them will be the HD boxes. HR10-250, H20, H21, HR20, and HR21 models. To the best of my knowledge there were no boxes in the past that pulled guide data for OTA. I think it was more or less a conveince for people for easy self install.

I think the only box you will find digital OTA tuners in them will be the HD boxes. HR10-250, H20, H21, HR20, and HR21 models. To the best of my knowledge there were no boxes in the past that pulled guide data for OTA. I think it was more or less a conveince for people for easy self install.

Well my main boxes are all HD boxes, HR20-700 and H20-100, the RCA is a seperate situation, I expect I'll need a convertor box for it, but it's not used nearly as much.

Jimbo

I assume you are preparing for Feb '09. The locals you get via DTV through the guide are digital. You won't need the converter box at all. The only ones who need the converter boxes are the people without locals on satellite or cable. The ones that rely on OTA only.

If you plan to get a box go to www.dtv2009.gov and request some $40 coupons. You are eleg for a max of 2 per household. I went to Best Buy and got the Insignia box they sell. After coupon, I paid about $20 each. I didn't need them but figured better safe then sorry. Will come in handy while camping with OTA. Circuit City sells Zenith ones which are identically the same box as the Insignia, just a different name.

I assume you are preparing for Feb '09. The locals you get via DTV through the guide are digital. You won't need the converter box at all. The only ones who need the converter boxes are the people without locals on satellite or cable. The ones that rely on OTA only.

If you plan to get a box go to www.dtv2009.gov and request some $40 coupons. You are eleg for a max of 2 per household. I went to Best Buy and got the Insignia box they sell. After coupon, I paid about $20 each. I didn't need them but figured better safe then sorry. Will come in handy while camping with OTA. Circuit City sells Zenith ones which are identically the same box as the Insignia, just a different name.

I do all my locals OTA.

D* does not have Toledo, HD locals available as of now, hopefully soon. I would prefer to not have to pay D* for stuff I can get free.

Any idea what types of input and out puts are on these units, do they feed into the D* rec.s' , are there HDMI , and component connections, how about a coax output for the older sets ?

You would think that they would be a inline filter type of thing to do this, instead of a full sized box that people have to deal with ....

Jimbo

You are correct Jimbo. These units are not designed to output HD. They are cheap solutions for people that have SD TV's and require OTA.

Jimbo, that is the exact box's I have. They have 1 coax input for the antenna in, 1 coax output to TV, and RCA out to TV. No HDMI or component at all. No HD at all. It just converts the digital signal so the old 4:3 sets with analog tuners can see the digital signal. With the box and remote though, you will be able to do guide for local OTA, check your OTA signal strenth, and turn the tv off with the same remote. Kind of nice. I put one in the spare bedroom for guests, and have the other for camping.

You are correct Jimbo. These units are not designed to output HD. They are cheap solutions for people that have SD TV's and require OTA.

I was hoping ...
I have a Sony 34" HD TV bought several years ago and I doubt that it has a digital tuner on it, but I'll have to check.

Jimbo

Jag,
As NutFlush920 and I have been figuring out.
Is it your opinion that the HR and H 20 rec.'s all have digital tuners in them, so I can run my OTA antenna into the rec's and still get my OTA signals.
Not just the digital sat signals ?

Jimbo

As long as its not the 21 series. Only the 20 series has built in support for digital OTA.

As long as its not the 21 series. Only the 20 series has built in support for digital OTA.

Correct . :)

A friend of mine has the RCA 435 I mentioned earlier.
What is the current NON HD rec. D* is using and does it have a digital tuner in it, they obviously will have to upgrade sooner or later.

Jimbo

You will be able to buy an add-on OTA tuner for the 21 series very soon if not already. I heard the price is right around $50 and connects to the 21 via usb.

You will be able to buy an add-on OTA tuner for the 21 series very soon if not already. I heard the price is right around $50 and connects to the 21 via usb.

I won't need one, I refuse to buy/lease a box that does not have a OTA tuner in it.

Jimbo

Is the D-12 the latest SD receiver (non DVR), or is it HD too and does it have a digital tuner ?

Jimbo

Based on the indicator being "D" my guess is that it is non-DVR; indicated by "R" (as you noted) and non-digital; All current DirecTV branded HD units will be indicated by "H"; I also see no mention of ATSC or any digital display outputs in the user guide shown at the DirecTV website.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)