Status
Not open for further replies.

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Does anyone have digital phone service with the local cable company? My wife and I got tired of SBC adding more and more charges to our bill so I looked to switch phone companies since my cable internet provider has phone service. Well, I was told on the phone when ordering that they would mount the box next to the Network Interface box that SBC uses outside and a jumper cable from the SBC box so I can use my existing jacks in the house. Well, the guy came and installed it today and said he had to have a cable line (he used my cable internet line since the box had an output for existing cable) since I didn't have a phone jack in that room he didn't hook into it. I have one cordless phone plugged into it.

My wife isn't happy and says she wants it gone. She didn't like having more holes on the inside of our house. She said she understood it to be like I was told, on the outside. So now I'm trying to get them to come back out to take it and the CSR is telling me that he hooked it up wrong. We have static on our phone now where we didn't before. All this to save money.

If we didn't need our phone number I would get VOIP permanently.

Does anyone have this kind of service (digital phone)?

Update: The installer supervisor said the installer assumed our condo was a multidwelling (like an apartment) and our SBC network interface box had more than one line in it. When I told him that this box only has my line as this is my box he said he would go check it out. He did and then called me back to say his installer would be back out to redo the installation and make it right. Still not thrilled.

I have COX's Digital Telephone and it works great and is MUCH cheeper then SBC.

BTW if you get VOIP you can take your phone number with you. :D

Well, the central office we have our number through for some reason can't port our number to a VOIP but can port our number to another local company (Insight Cable, AT&T, MCI).

I told my wife why don't we just get rid of our number? I can get a VOIP solution for $20 a month for unlimited local and long distance.

I would ask for a reason in writing from your phone company why they can't port your number. Then submit it to the FCC. :)

If SBC is your local, they should be able to port it to any CLEC (phone or IP). There is no reason why they shouldnt be able to.

Heck, I ported my home # to my cell phone.

The only ones I can see not being able to are little mom-and-pop phone companies.

I would run it up the ladder with SBC and if they are not willing to help, try the FCC. They are always willing to help :D

I had Packet8 (VOIP) and they told me they couldn't port my number because SBC wouldn't release it. I tried for 2 months to no avail. I just don't see why they wouldn't have released it to them but would release it to my cable company just like that.

The only way a phone company LEGALLY can't release it would be because of past due bill. The only other way is if they technologically can't (these are few and far between)

Can the cable company release it to VOIP?

I have Cox Digital Phone and it costs loads less than those scam artists at SBC, works great, and was connected straight over to my existing wiring. My same number was also ported on the spot with no delay. Of course, the CT DPUC would carve them a new orifice if they delayed at SBC, but that's the charm of having a state government which takes competition regulations and enforcement thereof seriously. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts