Digital Transition killing OTA signal strength.

EmpireState

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
Wow, the only station in the Des Moines, IA area to make the switch recently to the digital transmission standards has killed their OTA signal strength for their channel. NBC(WHO-TV) in Des Moines made the switch and now very few people with indoor rabbit ears can receive it. It went from 90+ percent signal strength to 70 percent which causes too many drop-outs by an indoor antennae to even watch. The other 3 channels will make the change in June. The NBC OTA was the strongest of all before the switch.

Sure hope Dish switches those 129 HD locals on soon, the alternative is the 61.5 wing dish for locals but I don't want to do it.

Last edited:
Wow, the only station in the Des Moines, IA area to make the switch recently to the digital transmission standards has killed their OTA signal strength for their channel. NBC(WHO-TV) in Des Moines made the switch and now very few people with indoor rabbit ears can receive it. It went from 90+ percent signal strength to 70 percent which causes too many drop-outs by an indoor antennae to even watch. The other 3 channels will make the change in June. The NBC OTA was the strongest of all before the switch.

Sure hope Dish switches those 129 HD locals on soon, the alternative is the 61.5 wing dish for locals but I don't want to do it.

In addition to "switching off" the analog transmitter at 11:59 PM Tuesday, February 17, WHO-DT also changed it's digital broadcast frequency. (Channels 13.1 or 13.2)they were on UHF channel 19
Attic VHF antennas are about the only "indoor" solution
Rabbit Ears On VHF they should be horizontal on Channel 13 tip to tip 26"

In addition to "switching off" the analog transmitter at 11:59 PM Tuesday, February 17, WHO-DT also changed it's digital broadcast frequency. (Channels 13.1 or 13.2)they were on UHF channel 19

Indeed, this is a problem of the antenna manufacturers. They have produced too many HDTV OTA antennas that lack good VHF reception, trying to convince everyone that a UHF antenna is all they need. In reality, plenty of channels will remain on VHF Hi, from 7 to 13.

You don't say how far from the transmitting tower you are. A signal strength of 70 should not be causing that many drop-outs. Are there other interference issues causing these drop-outs?

Indeed, this is a problem of the antenna manufacturers. They have produced too many HDTV OTA antennas that lack good VHF reception, trying to convince everyone that a UHF antenna is all they need. In reality, plenty of channels will remain on VHF Hi, from 7 to 13.
No such thing as a hdtv antenna.

My signal strength increased on every channel that made the switch so far. Luckily all my locals broadcast UHF due to the proximity to Chicago.

I'm sure alot of people will be buying new antennas as stations move back to VHF.

No such thing as a hdtv antenna.

No disputing. But tell that to the manufactures who are producing VHF-less antennas and calling them HDTV antennas. Walk into your local Home Depot or Radio Shack, and you will see TV antennas branded as HDTV antennas.

Heck, one techie source Solid Signal calls them as such
Off-Air TV & HDTV Antennas, Amplifiers, and Installation Accessories
(emphasis added)

And here is one example of a UHF only antenna being sold as an HDTV antenna
Philips Silver Sensor HDTV Indoor UHF Antenna (PH-DTV1)

Unfortunately, the pubic largely is unaware of the frequencies DTV will use in their area. They just read HDTV on the box and think it will be compatible.

I don't know about your location as I am far from there but one of the transmitters in my area did the switch but didn't have their new antenna yet so they are only broadcasting at partial strength. Come late March or April they say they'll have the new one installed and the strength will improve.

I'm just happy I can receive any digital OTA as the very closest repeaters aren't planning on switching. They have a different designation as they are not a primary transmitter and are not required to switch.

No disputing. But tell that to the manufactures who are producing VHF-less antennas and calling them HDTV antennas. Walk into your local Home Depot or Radio Shack, and you will see TV antennas branded as HDTV antennas.

Heck, one techie source Solid Signal calls them as such
Off-Air TV & HDTV Antennas, Amplifiers, and Installation Accessories
(emphasis added)

And here is one example of a UHF only antenna being sold as an HDTV antenna
Philips Silver Sensor HDTV Indoor UHF Antenna (PH-DTV1)

Unfortunately, the pubic largely is unaware of the frequencies DTV will use in their area. They just read HDTV on the box and think it will be compatible.

Another terrific example of mis-advertising and misleading the consumer. It's just terrible. It's akin to calling speakers "digital ready". A speaker, as an antenna is and always will be an analog device. But as long as there are people who are uninformed (largely not their fault) there will be greedy companies ready to take advantage of that. There would be absolutely no improvement with a "hdtv" or "digital" antenna over a good ole' standard UHF or VHF antenna.
The only benefit I can see is now that the VHF Lo is dropping off, the antenna manufacturers can tune the VHF antennas to optimize VHF Hi (7-13) so you may squeeze a little tiny bit more performance out of an antenna. But that's is. The designation "hdtv" or "digital" or "dtv" when it comes to an antenna means absolutely nothing!

I live in Ames and have an indoor attic antenna. I haven't noticed any problems, but I never remember 13 being the best signal. IPTV and CBS were always the best for me.

FOX 61 (31.1) Hartford, CT sig stregnth went from mid-60's (for over a year) to 100 from the day of the Daytona 500 to present. I'm ~40 miles fm the XMTR in Moosup. CH 3 (33.1, .2, .3) still poor (60's), but the rest of the UHF are fine (70-90)

You don't say how far from the transmitting tower you are. A signal strength of 70 should not be causing that many drop-outs. Are there other interference issues causing these drop-outs?
My Dish 722s can't hold on to a signal that's only 70. A solid 70 means that when a gust of wind kicks up (this is Kansas City), signal drops to 66 or less, which causes yellow screen (Attn:015, I think).

My first post here, I usually lurk here but thought I'd chime in. I live in the Des Moines area- Waukee, to be exact and I'm pulling a 96-100% signal on WHO-TV after I rescanned. I have amplified rabbit ears that I bought about 10 years ago with a 722. My weak station by far is my WOI OTA. I wouldn't complain if the boosted that signal.

I live in Colo (35 mi from towers) and and getting about 75-80 on WHO-DT 13.1 and 13.2 with my rabbit ears from the Terk.

Around here my signal strength went way up. NBC used to come in around 90, which was great, but now it is always 100. PBS used to be 65, now it is 88-94. ABC still the only one left broadcasting analog and it holds between 75-80. I am about 25 miles from the towers.

My Dish 722s can't hold on to a signal that's only 70. A solid 70 means that when a gust of wind kicks up (this is Kansas City), signal drops to 66 or less, which causes yellow screen (Attn:015, I think).
My 622 can hold onto a picture with signals in the mid 50's. I have two stations that are consistently in the 60's and I can watch them just fine on the 622.

+1 :up

Luckily in my area, 2 of the networks had their transitional station on VHF. So anyone who put up an antenna for HDTV put up a VHF/UHF combo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)