Digital Transition.. Will D* Update OTAs?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lagman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
All the stations in my area will be going forward with the digital switch despite the delay. When this happens, they will switch their digital signal to a different channel (For example, 9-1 used to map to channel 52, it will now just be broadcast on channel 9, which is where the analog channel used to be).

Since D* decided to control which OTAs I can receive instead of allowing the receiver to just scan for them, I'm wondering if they plan to switch these over for me. If not, I'll be without OTAs until they make the switch.

Has anyone heard if D* is planning to be on top of this?

Thanks,
Dan

I hope so. Looks like DIshnetwork will let you scan for the new channel changes.

With DirecTV if the change is not mapped in the Zip code table, it just wont work.

This would mean DirecTV MUST update the Tables Feb 17th at Noon when they cut over.

Almost all of my stations are going on time Feb 17th.

This problem only impacts markets where a channel will be changing frequencies. Those stations that don't change frequencies (and in most cases, this is the majority) won't be a big problem.

That being said, DIRECTV's unique choice to use table based channel information was, is and likely always will be a bit of a train wreck.

If obama signs the DTV bill into law.. as of now.. it looks like it will.. then the new shut off date for analog is june 12th :)
The delay is a farce for many and a headache for most everyone. The current plan of around 60% of the stations is that the congressional and executive action isn't going to delay their analog shutoff.

I suspect the 'delay' is more of a grace period to enable those stations dragging thioer heels and those consumers who need but have not gotton of thier arses more time to meet the deadline. Some stations have already done the conversion. The date is not a switchover date, it is a "You really ought to of been completed by now" date.

I hope so. Looks like DIshnetwork will let you scan for the new channel changes.

With DirecTV if the change is not mapped in the Zip code table, it just wont work.

This would mean DirecTV MUST update the Tables Feb 17th at Noon when they cut over.

Almost all of my stations are going on time Feb 17th.
In new orleans our fox affiliate and it 's subchannel switched on Dec22nd. Directv/ tribune just got the subchannel table fixed this week:eek: You could watch fox, but not the subchannel
Why they never made it so you could just scan is horrible. Some stations are changing now, next week, the 17th. the 18th. Directv is going to have to do a lot of table changing.

If obama signs the DTV bill into law.. as of now.. it looks like it will.. then the new shut off date for analog is june 12th :)

I live in Cincy but can get stations from Dayton (OH) as well OTA. Only one Cincy station is going to transition to all digital on Feb 17. It's a Sinclair station and they're ALL shutting down analog. Dayton on the other hand, from what I've heard, is going ALL digital on Feb.17. Seems weird that the stations can decide on their own. Personally, I wish we'd just get it over with!:cool:

My fav ABC and CBS station both filed papers to switch on TIME Feb 17th and they are moving there Digital channel BACK to there old Analog station channel 8 and 10.

Many stations are switch NOW to save the $10,000 a month in electrical costs to run both analog and digital, plus many have out source the switching work so they need the contractors scheduled to do the work which is FEB 17th.

Sure hope DirecTV changes the Zip code map at midnight before the noon switch so all the systems have time to update.

In new orleans our fox affiliate and it 's subchannel switched on Dec22nd. Directv/ tribune just got the subchannel table fixed this week:eek: You could watch fox, but not the subchannel
Why they never made it so you could just scan is horrible. Some stations are changing now, next week, the 17th. the 18th. Directv is going to have to do a lot of table changing.

I remember right it took them a bit to fix the main channel (Fox HD) too.

Is this just for OTA? I get my locals with Directv and they get it OTA from the broadcaster. Will I still be able to get all my channels on Feb 17 even though my local stations are switching channel #'s??

Is this just for OTA? I get my locals with Directv and they get it OTA from the broadcaster. Will I still be able to get all my channels on Feb 17 even though my local stations are switching channel #'s??

The date has been pushed back now ....

Yes, you will be all set, chances are your locals are delivered to D* via fiber.

The date has been pushed back now ....

Yes, you will be all set, chances are your locals are delivered to D* via fiber.

Depends on the area. I know when the New Orleans FOX station moved back to their analog in December, the station engineer had a direct contact to the folks who managed the POP that picked up the station via OTA.

But it did take D* a while to update the database that programs the OTA tuners for OTA tuning since the D* boxes do not have a scan function like others do. Don't get me started on this one....

A few things here:

If you get your locals via DirecTV, they are already using the digital feed. Any issues related to the station changing channel numbers for the digital feed should be minimial.

The OTA portion of the HR2x box relies on a seperate data table that is not using the PSIP data from the station. The data has previously been slow to update. This will be an issue if a channel changes their digital number when they transition, and despite the shutof extension, the station can still shutoff in Feb 17 if they have a reason to do so (and many will).

I've already asked DirecTV for some input on if there is a plan to better manage these changes (which can start next week). Also, we will collect information for stations that users lose and pass it up to DirecTV. My hope is that they have a plan in place to use that information first.

We'll know more later this week, and probably start a special data collection thread for anyone that loses a station. Our hope is that if we get them the information quickly it can get fixed quickly ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)