Digital vs analog on bad weather days!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

stanleyjohn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
south/central Ct,USA
Its been a long time since I have done over the air with rabbit ears so heres a question.When its cloudy with rain or snow some of my stations break up often where its pretty strong on nice days.Is signal breakup going to be more common with digital vs the old analog when the weather gets bad?

Seeing there is no longer analog broadcasts (I admit still a few low power stations) it doesn't matter set your OTA up for todays broadcasts.

Analog signals got snowy and lost color as they weakened Digital just disappears.

Digital is a different broadcast it is probably actually a different channel from what is displayed. Our channel 4 is now actually broadcast on channel 35 no longer on low VHF. Also broadcast powers of stations have changed.

Last edited:
yes you may have more trouble in bad weather with an indoor. Being that it is Digital it is an all or none proposition, so if it can't get enough data then you are likely to get more breakups

"All or nothing." Sorta. We all have seen pictures with a great deal of pixellation.

Snow/rain are generally not an issue for me. Wind is. If you have a bunch of trees especially. All those branches moving around, and in spring through fall, all those leaves fluttering, play havoc with the signal. I use a $40 amplified rabbit ear antenna which does the job. An outdoor antenna ( or a large attic mounted antenna) will cut down on a lot of this. But during some storms, there's just nothing to be done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts