diplexer and amplifier

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

avg1joe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Southern Maine
I wanted to put an ota antenna on the same pole as my fta dish using the same cable run of about 100ft total. I first tried the antenna connected direct to my hd to analog converter box with about 50ft of cable and it worked pretty well outside. After mounting it at about the same height and orientation at the pole I seem to have lost alot of signal causing pixelization. My satellite reception remains good.

My understanding is that ideally I should amplify the signal near the antenna. I've seen inline amps that claim to not need a power source. I've seen two part amps that inject power into the line.

The diplexer labelling says that only the sat side has DC pass through. Where would I put an amp? Does it need external power? Can I do this without messing up my satellite signal?

There are two solutions:

1.- Run a seperate cable for the OTA, allows you to get ride of Diplexer loss and install OTA Preamp.

2.- Select a beiier OTA antenna. There are Yagi antennas that yield 17 dbi gain.

I have always thought that one should use an antenna with as much gain as needed, and then if needed, install an antenna pre-amp to amplify the signal right at the antenna. A diplexer will cause a great deal of loss of what little signal you have. If you have a very strong signal, then use a diplexer, but for one with minimal signal, use a separate coax line to presurve what little signal you have.

Yes if it is possible I would run a separate line.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)