Diplexer question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alvarez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Brownsburg, IN
This may be moved to the OTA forum but I figured it would get answered quicker here as not many frequent OTA board.

I have 2 HD receivers both use the B Band converter so diplexers are not an option. My antenna runs fine when I run the 15 volt adapter to the diplexer sat in then the tv out to the receiver and the ant in to the in port. of the diplexer.

However this only provides 1 receiver with OTA. when I put a splitter on the TV out of the diplexer (using a power pass on all ports or a non power pass splitter) the ant loses all amplification... all voltage stops going to the OTA antenna.

What other option is there to get power to the ant and tv signal to the 2 receivers... also anyone know of a place that might rent super large ladders so I can replace my old OTA ant that burnt out with my other OTA antenna? the ant was placed freaking SUPER high at the tallest point of my house.

Last edited:
I split my OTA outside the house, then run two lines to separate rooms in the house. I bought 2 signal amplifiers and have one hooked up just before each receiver. My signal dropped considerably when I split the signal, but when I put the amplifiers in, I'm at 90-98% 45 miles from the towers for all of the main channels.

I split my OTA outside the house, then run two lines to separate rooms in the house. I bought 2 signal amplifiers and have one hooked up just before each receiver. My signal dropped considerably when I split the signal, but when I put the amplifiers in, I'm at 90-98% 45 miles from the towers for all of the main channels.

Do as andrewwski suggested if possible. Your current setup is just boosting the degraded signal. It’s best to boost the signal in its strongest and purest form.

ROFL I forgot I asked about renting a ladder hehehe... The whole thing that has caused the need for a replaced ant is I have dedicated lines now to my HR20's. D* came out and installed them and in doing so the ant lost power... I posted looking for voltage requirements for the Winegard Sensar and noone replied really so I searched and found 12-24 volts in a couple google hits... I had a 15 volt amp and a 24 volt amp. I ran the 24 and burnt out the OTA ant... the 15 volt runs great. (good thing my music store is in the old cellular one / dish shop so I have multiple winegard antennas hehehe)

I need to get up there to change out the old one and get my hard to get OTA channels back (can't live without my WB supernatural hehehe)

Currently the antenna comes in from my temp spot on my fence to the Diplexer "in/out" port... the power amp comes into the "sat in" on the diplexer and I was running the "tv out" to a splitter outside 2 both HD receivers however when I hook the splitter to the TV out area the voltage dies going out to the antenna. (tested with a multimeter also) However if it just runs to 1 HD receiver it all works flawlessly.

Currently the antenna comes in from my temp spot on my fence to the Diplexer "in/out" port... the power amp comes into the "sat in" on the diplexer and I was running the "tv out" to a splitter outside 2 both HD receivers however when I hook the splitter to the TV out area the voltage dies going out to the antenna. (tested with a multimeter also) However if it just runs to 1 HD receiver it all works flawlessly.

I don’t understand why that would happen. A splitter on the TV side of a diplexer interrupting power on the DC pass side. And verified with a volt meter. I wanna tell you to lick the wire from the in/out to be sure. Maybe you could try inserting an all-ports-power-pass splitter between the in/out and the antenna and then another diplexer off the other out of said splitter? Would be greater dB loss though.

The splitter I am using off of the TV out is a All ports power pass however I tryed what I believe to be a no power pass splitter also (RCA 5-1000 Home Theater splitter) and the same thing happened... not even a flinch on the multi meter.... unplug the splitter and needle is booming. Plug in direct wire to the satellite and the needle is booming also....

maybe use two?
have you tried replacing diplexer?

Yea I have tryed different diplexers. LOL my wife puts up with enough...I know it can be done I just need to figure out the riddle... no sense hanging a 2nd Sensar when I know 1 will do the job. I need to worry about trading out the burnt out 1 anyways. :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)