Diplexer Question!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jidunlap

Original poster
Jan 2, 2007
Hi all -- a random question. I currently have DirecTV and an OTA antenna running from the dish/attic down to my TV in the basement. I have the antenna signal diplexed into one of the DirecTV lines. Standard set-up, no problem.

I recently bought another TV. It lives next to my cable modem, which has one coax cable drop coming through the wall. I'll eventually get the TV hooked up with DirecTV, but there's a bit of a backlog on DirecTV installers in my area right now (they won't be out until early Feb); when they do come out and drop the new feeds from my dish I'll diplex the OTA antenna signal through one of those new lines. Until then, though, can I diplex the antenna signal in with the cable modem signal to at least get local OTA channels on the TV? I tried it and it didn't seem to work -- I'm assuming they are running on the same frequencies? Is there a way for me to get both signals to come in on the one coax line I have coming into my living room carrying my high speed internet connection? Thanks!

I'm sorry to say you cannot split or diplex a cable internet connection, to the best of my knowledge.

Great, thanks...I didn't think so.

Maybe they've got locals running on my cable coax I can borrow until my new satellite drops get installed.

"can I diplex the antenna signal in with the cable modem signal to at least get local OTA channels on the TV?"

First of all, you don't diplex the OTA and CATV signals. You only diplex satellite signals and CATV or OTA because they're on different frequencies.

OTA and CATV signals are on the same frequencies like you said. It can be done but you'll need a home distribution system to do this.

I bought some diplexers and hooked them up to get locals via cable on my bedroom TV (I have DTV w/o locals and Local cable service) and it doesn't work. The DTV signal comes through fine, but, the cable signal doesn't come in at all. I think I have it hooked correctly, but maybe not? My family room TV is hooked into cable directly and it works fine for all signals (DTV, cable, and off air antenna). The two diplexer connected TVs don't. Any suggestions?

Not true. I diplex mine with DirecTV now (3LNB dish) and it's been that way for 5 yrs.

Yes, diplexers will work with the older 3 LNB dish, but not with the new 5 LNB dish. The reason signal from the LNB to the receiver uses the same frequencies as many of the local broadcast stations and when the same frequency from two sources hits the same cable they kill or wipe each other out.

BUT, you should stay away from using diplexers when ever possible. Using them cuts down on your signal strength from both your LNBs and your OTA antenna. Two separate lines will give you stronger signals than one with diplexers.

Yes, diplexers will work with the older 3 LNB dish, but not with the new 5 LNB dish. The reason signal from the LNB to the receiver uses the same frequencies as many of the local broadcast stations and when the same frequency from two sources hits the same cable they kill or wipe each other out.

BUT, you should stay away from using diplexers when ever possible. Using them cuts down on your signal strength from both your LNBs and your OTA antenna. Two separate lines will give you stronger signals than one with diplexers.

You come lay a second line to the visual satisfaction of my wife :)

A diplexer will have to do. :)

We do not use the cable TV.. just the modem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)