Diplexer Set-Up

tmasters2876

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
I have Dish Network and Standard cable going over one run to my sat receiver and my TV via Holland diplexers. Both seem to have issues displaying picture every once in a while since I did this. Any reason why?

possibly a bad diplexer? As we really don't know what issue you are having, its hard to give you an answer.
Is the cable picture going out all together, or is it getting fuzzy? And are you losing the satellite signal (getting the "aquiring satellite signal" message)? Or are you getting a different message on the receiver?

Brand new Diplexers as of last week. The cable channels freeze up and the satellite does indeed go to aquiring signal.

Brand new Diplexers as of last week. The cable channels freeze up and the satellite does indeed go to aquiring signal.
The frequencies are too close together, you can get away with combining OTA signals, but cable tv (and cable internet) will have too many problems.....as you've experienced.

The frequencies are too close together, you can get away with combining OTA signals, but cable tv (and cable internet) will have too many problems.....as you've experienced.

I agree.... sounds like your cable company is using frequencies interfering with the satellite feed. Depending on the cable company that happens sometimes. In the area I install in, there are 2 cable companies, one will interfere, the other doesn't.
There is really no fix for this, except running a new cable. Sorry

Make sure they both are the same frequency, 2350 or higher work great. I have a similar set up, I'm running my cable modem and Dish with the Dish separator and have never had a problem. I mean the same frequency, the same brand(manufacter).

Yea, I'm using Holland Diplexers on both ends. The sat. works like a champ without the diplexers. I actually have about 12 holland diplexers so I've been able to eliminate a bad pair.

I'm guessing I may need to simply make another run. I already have a pull string in place from the last time(s) I ran cable. I guess now I will have four coax coming out of the living room.

What cable are you using between the diplexers? What is the name on the cable and what is it rated for? All the diplexers do are to seperate (and combine) the satellite frequencies (950 MHz and above) and from the UHF frequencies (950 MHz and below), cable tv does not operate at the satellite frequencies. This sounds like a cable issue, not a diplexer issue. You need RG 6 cable rated for at least 2150 MHz minimum, Dish provides their installers with RG 6 rated to 3 GHz (3000 MHz).

I using high quality RG6 with compression connectors. This line is the same line that has been in place for over a year now with just the satellite and it never had a single problem. It wasn't until I placed the diplexers in place and combined/split the signals that things went south. The line is from a satellite outlet store that is indeed rated at 3Ghz. I used to work for a contractor that installed dish network, so I still have my connections when I need to make a purchase like this.

Yea, I'm using Holland Diplexers on both ends. The sat. works like a champ without the diplexers. I actually have about 12 holland diplexers so I've been able to eliminate a bad pair.

Make sure your test without diplexers installed is definitive. Use it that way for a significant amount of time for testing. Then if you still are sure it's fine without the diplexers installed, try installing the diplexers without the other feed attached. Stick some 75ohm terminators on the ends and see how your sat signal does.

If the sat signal remains stable, then the issue is input from the cable company, not the diplexers themselves. if the problem comes back, then it's an issue in the diplexers, or in the coax connections and how they interface with the diplexers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts