Diplexer?

wayne231

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Memphis, TN
Which get's the better picture quality, running direct or using a diplexor? If running direct, is the quality worth the extra cable?
Thanks

There is a -2.0 dBm loss per diplexer. If you have long cable runs (over 200 ft.) you may have problems getting the signal. Regarding picture quality, with digital signals you either get it or you don't. So if you're going to use diplexers make sure the runs are less than 200 ft.

What are you combining with the satellite feed?

Cable run is less than 50'. TV is set to modulate on channel 62 and receiving tv is on 62. Dish used the existing cable in the original install and I believe it is rg59 but I'm not sure since it is not labeled.

Not labelled? It should have imprints in the sheath for it's full length.

Yes, Dish put in the diplexers, originally for a duplicate cable feed in the house. Now using it from dual tuners. House was a neighborhood development 15 years ago. Back then cable was not always labeled. Builders left it up to the electrician to run what ever cable was needed at the time.

The end result will be more like Distribution Example 17. Going for a whole house distribution using 4 dual tuner DVR's. Don't know if I want to use additional coax or use diplexers.

RandallA: You appear to understand what I'm talking about doing. What is planned is a house distribution to the antenna in on the dvr's. In theory I should be able to do a local channel scan and have the 622 pick up the additional dvr's on thier channel and place them in the EPG. Fun stuff to do.

wayne231 said:
running the modulated tv2 out to the antenna in on another dual turner and vice versa. works but the PQ is "snowy".
Thanks
I am using a diplexer with my 622 to the second TV. Since the second TV had it's own receiver before the 622, I had ran RG6 to it from the switch. From the 622 to TV2 is at least 80 ft and I can't tell any difference in PQ (excellent) from the old set up. I was even using the S VHS output from the second receiver before.

wayne231 said:
RandallA: You appear to understand what I'm talking about doing. What is planned is a house distribution to the antenna in on the dvr's. In theory I should be able to do a local channel scan and have the 622 pick up the additional dvr's on thier channel and place them in the EPG. Fun stuff to do.

I tried to run 2 dual tuner's TV2 outs on a single line, but the ONLY way I could get it to work was to set one in cable mode, and the other in air mode. Both TV2's had access to both sources, BUT I had to go into the TV menu to switch the TVs from cable to air. When I had both DTs set for cable or air, both TVs got snowy pictures on both channels. Not sure how you'd route four signals to 4 TVs without some cross over.

I've run a schematic on it and I don't think I will get bleed using a combination combiner/splitter and splitter/combiner. Like I said, who knows, fun stuff to try. Just didn't want to go to all the trouble of pulling coax if diplexers would do the trick.

chadzx11 said:
I tried to run 2 dual tuner's TV2 outs on a single line, but the ONLY way I could get it to work was to set one in cable mode, and the other in air mode. Both TV2's had access to both sources, BUT I had to go into the TV menu to switch the TVs from cable to air. When I had both DTs set for cable or air, both TVs got snowy pictures on both channels. Not sure how you'd route four signals to 4 TVs without some cross over.

Actually have had 2 "TV 2's" work on one piece of coax using cable mode. The trick is to keep enough of a gap...at least 10 channels...between the two modulated outputs. With that said, it should be theoritically possible to do 4 "TV 2's"...one set using antenna mode...the other set using cable mode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)