Diplexing cable modem with satellite.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Has anyone diplexed a cable modem line???? Im getting rid of dsl for cable modem service (way faster) I was wondering if it worked.. or if i need to have the cable dude run another line... I really dont want to run another line if its not needed. thanks. :)

I havent tried it, from my understanding it should work if the signals follow the same parameters that dbs and analog follow. Im not sure what the signal frequency is like on a cable modem, ask over in the cable threads about the signal type and see what you get.

I just called and called and after about 4 or 5 failed appointments, junk installs, etc.. I ended up paying $29 and got a fresh line run to my cable modem :)

Depending on the ISP it might or might not be such a big deal, in my case it does burst pretty high (500KB/sec and above!), but for the most part it's no faster than my 3/512 DSL line was, sure as heck isn't as consistent -- and worse yet, my cable ISP doesn't allow servers in their AUP, the DSL company I switched over from did..

It wasn't really by choice though, it was that my DSL company only dealt with 1 year contracts, after that your plan price goes up $30 per month, and $80/month for a 3/512 seemed too much because I can't commit to a 1 year right now (got things in the works)..

So I swallowed it and have a cable line for now, unfortunately in Las Vegas (where we'll be moving next year)... well.. There's Sprint (bad), and Cox (WORSE).

Cox = FORGET about residential service if you're not strictly a "residential" customer aka you plan to call them asking every little step because they only like stupid customers that use 1% of their capacity per month, seriously their AUP seems to block ANYTHING and everything, and from what I've read on broadband reports, I wasn't impressed with their tactics (driving by their customers' houses to see if they had open wireless access points and canceling their service for it, port scanning their customers to see if they're breaking the AUP, etc) -- at least when Dish audits you, you know they're doing it.

Sprint = Couldn't give a flying F about Las Vegas. Those that have DSL don't have it reliably (or so it's been said), and that's if you live close to one of the COs that seems to be about 20 miles away from another CO or whatever.. I can't BELIEVE how badly setup their phone network is for a city that is so new in construction (relatively)...

Argh *sigh* Just frustration :) I'll gett over it hehe.

Best of luck!

Just make sure they are rated 5-2200 Mhz. The return path in the cable modem goes below 40 Mhz so those diplexers rated down to 40 Mhz won't work. I've used Holland, Perfect Vision and MRI in the past and haven't had any problems.

My upstream is at 21.6 Mhz and my downstream is at 705.25 Mhz. This is with Comcast.

I've got a pair of brand new Holland diplexers PM if you are interested.

IM going from a 3.0 Mbps connection DSL to a 8 Mbps Connection. From SBC to Crapcast :) My FTA setup is currently on the line that the cable modem runs on. I think that I will have crap cast use an existing line to my bedroom and run a wireless router from there.. I think that would be the best solution. I just have to run over to my moms house and pick up my wireless nic and router thats not in use. I was just wondering just in case if the modem had to go with the computer. I do have a note book so hooking up to the cable modem wont be a problem.

Here's a suggestion since you're moving from SBC to comcrap.. :)

Don't cancel your DSL until you're absolutely sure you're good with the cable line. FWIW, there are also other DSL ISPs out there that'll work over your DSL line and get you some nice speed too.. sonicnet and dslextreme if I'm right (one or the other does 6/608 on SBC lines)...

Good Luck! :)

FWIW My down is 705MHz and my up is 32MHz :D

must be nice to have a choice, hell i would settle for any broadband right now. Backwoods of alabama don't got sh*t

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)