Diplexing with Dpp lnb's?

Chris Freeland

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Collegedale, TN
When I build my new home, it will have structured wiring through out, I am also leaning toward going back to E* satellite when I move. I am thinking of a 722 dvr receiver and a 222, with ota. I know that the DPP lnb's will diaplex the 2 tuners wiring all the way until it approaches the receiver where it is then seperated into two cables. I plan on running both of my receivers wiring through my distribution panel. Can I also diaplex with the ota? or is it either or? If I can diaplex with ota, should it be done after the 2 tuner cables are separated or before, I am thinkingg it is probably after? What is the best way to wire for E* using structured wiring? Weather or not I diplex with ota, I plan on having 4 rg6 cables and 4 cat 5e at both satellite receiver locations in Family room and Master bedroom.

Your better off running a second cable for OTA - try to keep TV2 and OTA seperate.

agreed...
and you say you plan on having 4 lines to each receiver location... you're good, you dont have to worry about diplexers. Normally i recommend 2rg6 and 2cat5 to each tv location

When I build my new home, it will have structured wiring through out, I am also leaning toward going back to E* satellite when I move. I am thinking of a 722 dvr receiver and a 222, with ota. I know that the DPP lnb's will diaplex the 2 tuners wiring all the way until it approaches the receiver where it is then seperated into two cables. I plan on running both of my receivers wiring through my distribution panel. Can I also diaplex with the ota? or is it either or? If I can diaplex with ota, should it be done after the 2 tuner cables are separated or before, I am thinkingg it is probably after? What is the best way to wire for E* using structured wiring? Weather or not I diplex with ota, I plan on having 4 rg6 cables and 4 cat 5e at both satellite receiver locations in Family room and Master bedroom.

With 4 Cables, why are you even considering diplexing? :rolleyes: Diplexing OTA & TV2 can cause interference in the picture of the TV2, and the picture on some of the OTA channels. I would suggest running 2 cables to the TV2 locations also, so you don't need to diplex the OTA channels on those TV's either. Becasue....... The OTA channels you get in the guide onTV1, aren't visible in the guide on TV2:mad:

agreed...
and you say you plan on having 4 lines to each receiver location... you're good, you dont have to worry about diplexers. Normally i recommend 2rg6 and 2cat5 to each tv location

I also plan the standard 2rg6 and 2cat5 at other tv locations, some locations may never be used but I would rather be safe and have them if my needs change.

Thanks for the reply s. :)

I have four coax, one CAT5e, and one CAT3 telephone cable going to three prime locations to DVRs. Each location has OTA In, Satellite IN, Modulated Out, and Modulated IN. No diplexers required. If I was building a new home, I would run the identical setup to all locations, with the exception of the telephone cable. I would have two CAT5e cables to all locations. Also would have all cables in PVC conduit. Also have all cables going to two large closets in a central location. One closet would have all the coax and the other CAT5e cables. Also, have plenty of A/C electrical outlets by your closets. To the satellite dish locations you would be safe to run six coax.

Last edited:
I have four coax, one CAT5e, and one CAT3 telephone cable going to three prime locations to DVRs. Each location has OTA In, Satellite IN, Modulated Out, and Modulated IN. No diplexers required. If I was building a new home, I would run the identical setup to all locations, with the exception of the telephone cable. I would have two CAT5e cables to all locations. Also would have all cables in PVC conduit. Also have all cables going to two large closets in a central location. One closet would have all the coax and the other CAT5e cables. Also, have plenty of A/C electrical outlets by your closets. To the satellite dish locations you would be safe to run six coax.

I was planning on placing my distribution panel in a walk in closet off a bedroom that I plan on using as an office. How many electrical outlets would you recamend?

I also forgot to mention that at my family room location in addition to the HDTV and E* 722, I will likely add a Glorystar FTA satellite systom too with 1 receiver and a modulator for an in house tv channel, also I will send the modulated outputs of the 4 E* tuners (2 tuners in FR) for in house tv channels as well, plus a DVR recorder connected to E* new TR-40 digital ota stb since around the time that I move into new home, ota will be digital only. I will need to connect 3 devices in FR to outdoor ota antenna, and 3 modulated channels going to distribution panel, that is why I have decided to use diplexers even with 4 rg6 cables. In MBR I will only need 2 ota inputs and 1 modulated output for sd tv at first and a 2nd hdtv in the future and most likely a E*222. Other 2 bedrooms will only have 1 sdtv and digital ota stb each, so I figured 2 rg6 and 2 cat 5e should be sufficient their. DR and KT will also get 2+2 outlets, but I likely will never use these outlets for nothing more then possibly a phone in the kitchen, but they will be their if I should change my mind. I will also run an emty 2" conduit between FR equipment rack and MBR to direct connect future BR Disk player and 722 HD feed to future HDTV their. Any thing else I may want to consider?

I think I have a pretty good idea what will be needed as far as networking tv, phone, internet and computers. I do not plan on home automation, intercom, security system and cameras etc initially, however I may go ahead and do some pre-wiring just encase, but not sure how to plan for these, any suggestions?

I was planning on placing my distribution panel in a walk in closet off a bedroom that I plan on using as an office. How many electrical outlets would you recamend?

I also forgot to mention that at my family room location in addition to the HDTV and E* 722, I will likely add a Glorystar FTA satellite systom too with 1 receiver and a modulator for an in house tv channel, also I will send the modulated outputs of the 4 E* tuners (2 tuners in FR) for in house tv channels as well, plus a DVR recorder connected to E* new TR-40 digital ota stb since around the time that I move into new home, ota will be digital only. I will need to connect 3 devices in FR to outdoor ota antenna, and 3 modulated channels going to distribution panel, that is why I have decided to use diplexers even with 4 rg6 cables. In MBR I will only need 2 ota inputs and 1 modulated output for sd tv at first and a 2nd hdtv in the future and most likely a E*222. Other 2 bedrooms will only have 1 sdtv and digital ota stb each, so I figured 2 rg6 and 2 cat 5e should be sufficient their. DR and KT will also get 2+2 outlets, but I likely will never use these outlets for nothing more then possibly a phone in the kitchen, but they will be their if I should change my mind. I will also run an emty 2" conduit between FR equipment rack and MBR to direct connect future BR Disk player and 722 HD feed to future HDTV their. Any thing else I may want to consider?

I think I have a pretty good idea what will be needed as far as networking tv, phone, internet and computers. I do not plan on home automation, intercom, security system and cameras etc initially, however I may go ahead and do some pre-wiring just encase, but not sure how to plan for these, any suggestions?

I have two a/c electrical outlets at my head-in area with those added 6-way surge protector taps. Better to have more than less. If it was me I would install another 722 instead of the 222. Nice to have the record feature. Looks like you have things pretty well covered.

Attachments

• Headend.JPG
    Headend.JPG
    309.2 KB · Views: 151
  • OTA Antenna.JPG
    OTA Antenna.JPG
    332.1 KB · Views: 158