Direc VOD? Cant get a straight answer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lern4483

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 6, 2004
Pompano beach, Fl
Ive called Direc tv about 4 times. No one has a clue on this.

Im dying to try to new vod service. All they say is I need to buy 2 kits for 60 bucks? huh?

I have two hr20s. They have added on the vod service. However, channel 1000 will not come up. Channel not available. Yes, I have the lastest software.

Is there a site with instuctions on this? Every rep has no clue.

I do have cable internet. Can I hook up my lap top to the hr20 through ethernet connection?

My computer is to far from the reciever. I have a router that I use for my lap top.

Would the reciever work connected to my lap top using the router signal?

Any assistance would be great.

Thanks,
Joel

Just connect the ethernet port of HR20 with your router.
If you need connect with one cable laptop and HR20, then connect this cable to an ethernet switch (~$20) if you have a router at the cable modem, or to a router (~$40), if the laptop is connected directly to the cable modem. Then connect laptop and HR20 to the switch/router.
Both laptop and HR20 will be connected.
That is it.
It is easy and will work.
Service is good, not great yet (lack of HD).

Cant I just go directly from lap top to reciever? Not sure why I need a ethernet switch? However, If I need it ill run out an grab one.

Thanks for the quick response

Im dying to try to new vod service. All they say is I need to buy 2 kits for 60 bucks? huh?

I have two hr20s. They have added on the vod service. However, channel 1000 will not come up. Channel not available. Yes, I have the lastest software.

I do have cable internet. Can I hook up my lap top to the hr20 through ethernet connection?

My computer is to far from the reciever. I have a router that I use for my lap top.

Thanks,
Joel

D* reps probably have no idea what your talking about, as I don't think this VOD is on the National Release as of yet.

Jimbo

Cant I just go directly from lap top to reciever? Not sure why I need a ethernet switch? However, If I need it ill run out an grab one.

Thanks for the quick response

No.
The switch is a device which allows multiple devices share one line from the router.
The router is a device which allows multiple devices share one internet connection.

Thanks,
Joel

i'd be curious what these kits for $60 are all about? can anyone elaborate?

Thanks for the clarification.

What D, told me was they sell the kits for 30 bucks each. Since I have the HR20 I would need two kits-60 bucks. The kit would help me network my unit?

Also, when do you see channel 1000?

In the kit an ethernet cable and power suplpy- and extras she could not elaborate on.
So, not really sure what you get for the money?

the kit is a powerline adaptor which allow you to plug the ethernet cable into the wall plug and then plug its mate into your rouuter. If you are unale to hardwire your hr20 directly to your router this is the easiest way to get connected.

D* reps probably have no idea what your talking about, as I don't think this VOD is on the National Release as of yet.

Jimbo

It is now fully released on the -700 series - but as a BETA.

The CSRs know "of" it, not sure they now "about" it :)

DirecTV will help support a very limited amount of network connectivity. Technically, yes, you could use your laptop to do this.

If you have a wireless connection on the laptop and an RJ45 connection, you can setup Internet Sharing on the wireless side, then plug your HR20 into the RJ45 connection.

Ok, went from lap top right into the HR20. Still see no channel 1000? I will comb through the link that was posted. Thought Id give it a try this way first.

Also, no VOD screen promt on the menu? I figured once I was connected to the internet
I might see a menu promt. Nada.

You're life will be much easier if you just buy a network router versus tyring to do internet sharing.

$30-$50 on sale for one with wireless capabilities, that will last you forever.

ANY -ROUTER- will meet your needs in this situation. Not switch, router.

He told me he has a router in a PM.

That being the case - he really needs an wireless ethernet bridge.

That hooks to the HR20 ethernet port and connects to the router wirelessly.

Little more expensive though - $80 range.

Better the OP gets the home power networking adapter kit from DirecTV for $30. The same thing at the store is about $70-$80.

Wouldn't a Newegg.com - BUFFALO WLI-TX4-G54HP IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Ethernet Port Wireless-G MIMO Performance Ethernet Converter Up to 125Mbps Data Rates WPA-PSK(AES, TKIP), 128/64-bit WEP - Retail work? I would love to use VOD too but my wireless router is in a nother room. Is there anything else that one could get to hook up the HR20 and HD DVD player to the wirless network? Newegg never has it in stock.

I am using one of these and it works for media share and VOD. There is an injunction against Buffalo and they can't sell any more until that is settled (a patent issue). There are other brands (also wireless gaming adapters) which will work.

Alright for now I have my HR20-700 connected via my laptop. I bridged my wireless and eithernet adapters and everything works great. I can connect without problem on the HR20.

Question is, I see "On Demand" in my menu but can't press select on it. When I tune to 1000 it says channel isn't available. Am I doing something wrong?

Alright for now I have my HR20-700 connected via my laptop. I bridged my wireless and eithernet adapters and everything works great. I can connect without problem on the HR20.

Question is, I see "On Demand" in my menu but can't press select on it. When I tune to 1000 it says channel isn't available. Am I doing something wrong?

Does your HR20 pass the network connection test for internet? Are you using your laptop as the 'firewall' for the HR20 and if yes do you have Internet Connection Sharing enabled on your laptop? When did you do all this since it can take up to a couple days after you've got your HR20 connected to the internet before D* enables DoD on the box?

Status
Please reply by conversation.