DirecPC dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Got a new DirecPC dish off Fleabay a couple weeks ago and Saturday it arrived at my house : )

Opened it up and found out there is more than one model of the DirecPC. I have an old 39x23 dish I got from PSB this past winter. This one is only 35x20. So its like a Superdish. I didnt know there were more than one size of them :D

I figured since it was oblong it would give me a better signal (and since 35 is more than 30 :) After cleaning it off (I barely wash dishes yet the DirecPC dish gets a good scrubbing…to get the cobwebs and bird droppings off it) I looked and noticed it takes a 2 3/8 mount. The motor mount is only 1 5/8
Off to the hardware store I go to find a spacer…..got a couple things I thought would work and tried to make them work. Nope.. so lets use the duct tape theory.
I waited until Sunday and then it dawned on me….I wonder if this thing even works?

Hooked up to the Dish receiver and was able to get the DBS working. Then I mounted this where the other DirecPC dish is (same mount size) and aimed at IA6.
Signals were
Doc Scott-75-80
CBS Feed-60
ABCNews-50
IRS thingy-52

Not bad….then I hooked up the motorized to the receiver (same Pansat)….and I get
SAME THING!

So the 35x20 is basically the same as a 30” dish. I know the 39x23 is better because on CCTV (where its aimed…G3) I get a 92-95 signal and on the motorized, it peaked at 82.

Here are a couple of pictures of the unit.

The cool thing I like is the DBS LNB can be mounted on either side with one bolt...so I might put this where the G10 dish is and kill 2 birds :D with one stone...err dish

Last edited:
Shame the signal is not any better, but at least its just the same. Sounds like a fun project, just what you need ANOTHER dish, hopefully now you can take down one (G10) and tidy things up! Nice pictures, I installed a LOAD of these DirecPC (AOL plus)one way dish a few years back, nice buy : )

you never can have too many KU band dishes :)

The only issue is the mount....The pole on the roof right now is 1 5/8 and I don't want ot have to jerry rig a pole for 2 3/8 :)

I picked up two new dishes from an electronics store that was being torn down. I'll post the details later today. One is a DirectPC and the other I can't remember. Nice LNBs on them though.

Ok here are the photos. Both are sorta unknown as manufacturer goes, but good stuff nonetheless.

Dish 1 = 36x27
LNB 1,2,3,4 = Starband NJR2144HWI, Gilat AN343610, DBS, DBS

Dish 2 = 39x23
LNB 1 = DirectWay 1029272-0002

Attachments

• dish_1.jpg
    dish_1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 426
  • dish_1_lnb.jpg
    dish_1_lnb.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 408
  • dish_2.jpg
    dish_2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 395
  • dish_2_lnb.jpg
    dish_2_lnb.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 465
Hmm - that big 'ol Primestar dish has to be REAL nice for FTA then...

Maybe I can find a 'low key' place to put the PS dish + the SG2100 out front vs trying to make a 30" dish work.

Shawn95GT said:
Hmm - that big 'ol Primestar dish has to be REAL nice for FTA then...

Maybe I can find a 'low key' place to put the PS dish + the SG2100 out front vs trying to make a 30" dish work.

The Primestar dish works real well (depending on the size)

I am back in Melbourne Florida on a business trip again and just picked up two more satellite dishes at $10 each including the mount. They are just like the ones you have pictured. They say "Starband" on the front and are made by Channel Master. I am hoping the same mount will fit the 1.2 meter Channel Master dishes I bought two weeks ago.
The guy asked me if I am interested in a used FTA receiver for $20. He told me that he had a stack of them out back and that they came from an NBC station that once used them. I said "no", however I am thinking of going back tomorrow and taking a look at them and possibly buying some.

Dave

bummer....

On the DirecPC the DBS LNB is on the left (from looking behind the dish), which if I aim at 123, the DBS will be at 125 or 127...no biggie. I can unhook the bracket and move it to the other side

nope....the bracket looks the same either way but won't fit

now I'll have to use the upside down theory to get both 123 and 119 on this dish

Nice find!

One or two of the LNBs look like they can transmit? I bet you can find details on E-bay and recover some $$ if you sell them?

Sorry I have more then enought stuff and garage sale/ham feast season is comming soon.

Good luck with your new dishs!

n4bbq said:
I picked up two new dishes from an electronics store that was being torn down. I'll post the details later today. One is a DirectPC and the other I can't remember. Nice LNBs on them though.

Ok here are the photos. Both are sorta unknown as manufacturer goes, but good stuff nonetheless.

Dish 1 = 36x27
LNB 1,2,3,4 = Starband NJR2144HWI, Gilat AN343610, DBS, DBS

Dish 2 = 39x23
LNB 1 = DirectWay 1029272-0002

ken2400 said:
Nice find!

One or two of the LNBs look like they can transmit? I bet you can find details on E-bay and recover some $$ if you sell them?

Sorry I have more then enough stuff and garage sale/ham feast season is coming soon.

Good luck with your new dishs!

Well they were free. I just had to climb onto the roof and remove them. I got about a mile of cable and four regular 18" dishes (w LNBs) as well! Anywayz, I will probably offer that transmitter to one of the local hams here that fool with UHF and above stuff. I have no use for anything ham-related that is above 220MHz. These are hefty-built critters though. I wish there were more dish surface area, but that will do fine for a fixed Ku-band setup. I really don't have the room, but since getting into Ku-band FTA, now I am thinking how to squeeze a C-Band dish onto the place without my wife killing me. I have been eyeballing some as I drive around that look like they need a new home. Often, you can get them for just removing them. I would bet that as abundant as low-noise devices are, I could probably get away with a six-foot dish, but I would need to import a few pine beetles to take care of my neighbor's trees....

I hear you - I wish I could gat C band - but they are not allowed were I live :(

unfortunatelly the signal didnt make any difference so I'll keep what I am using now :)

I might move that dish to G10...dont know yet :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)