Direct 95 Cable 500

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bkushner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Audubon, NJ
I have to ask how it is that Cable can run advertisements saying that Direct has 95 HD channels and Comcast has 500. My parents have Comcast and they have about 10 HD Channels. Are there really 490 On Demand HD Offerings?

I have to ask how it is that Cable can run advertisements saying that Direct has 95 HD channels and Comcast has 500. My parents have Comcast and they have about 10 HD Channels. Are there really 490 On Demand HD Offerings?

They are actually saying that they have 500 HD or that they will have ?

It all depends on how they decide to count the numbers, personally, I don't care how many anyone has, if I cannot afford them or there is nothing on them that interest me then it's a waste , I understand that they need to appease everyone.
Not saying that they should not be there.

I guess what I'm saying is IF all the channels I watch are in HD, thats good enough for me !

Jimbo

Yawn... another thread about how to count channels and who's running what advertisements; instead of actually watching TV.

We should have a dedicated and official thread about this. It is widely talked about. Everyone likes to fluff their HD numbers. Comcast thinks they have "500" because of their On Demand choices. What Comcast doesn't seem to understand is that people don't care about choices. Instead, people care about and want channels. DirecTV has more HD channels than Comcast or any other cable provider, hands down. It doesn't matter if Comcast has more choices. That is a bunch of bull and they try top bait you on it. You can't really blame Comcast though. This is a time of war for HD and every provider wants to keep their subs and at the same time increase their subs.

Whats funny is that my best friend lives in Washington state (Seattle area). Comcast came to his door and pretty much begged him to go with their service. They offered him 16 meg internet for $14.99 and cable for a little over $30 and an HD DVR for $5.99 with all the Starz channels. He didn't go with the internet, but he is getting the Digital Starter package I believe with the HD DVR and the Starz movie package all for $38.99 which isn't a bad deal. They were not doing this because of DirecTV though. Comcast offered this deal to him because they are afraid of Verizon Fios taking over in that area.

I think Comcast has come a long way with the triple play (& VOD to a lesser extent) & can blow the doors off of us T-DSL subscribers who have CO loops at 20k plus. That said, they simply wouldn't wire my house (internally) for cable back in the 90's regardless of how much money I offered them. I purchased my own DTv equipment & began the tedius task of fishing each room. I've had the best DTV programming offered & figure it's Comcasts loss; I even learned a few things along the way that I never would have learned with cable.

Aside from the major markets where Comcast usually offers a nice HD package Direct-Tv is just supperior now, in both quanity & quality. The only way they con compete is with slanted advertising. They even lied to me when a sales rep rang my door & tried to offer me a deal. I told him I'd try the triple play if they offered the NFL Sunday Ticket & he said they have as many NFL games as DTV but call it something different....just plain sad.

My brother-in-law (works in advertising) has comcast & recently razzed me about the quanity of his HD channels compared to mine. One hour session of channel surfing on my system left him speechless; minus the AMC & Fox News.

One could argue that they are counting each local markets local tv stations as high def and each markets regional sports station as high def wich could then be counted with all other hd including nationals as 500, it reminds me of the directv commercials where the cable companie starts making up numbers to fool the public into believing what they say is true.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)